2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Going back to your original post and answering from there.
Cerin wrote:I remember, when Pres. Obama was running for his first term, that there was a discussion in the African American community about his blackness, and the legitimacy of his claim to a share in the African American story because of his parentage and upbringing (i.e., white mother, Kenyan father, not a descendant of American slaves). I don't recall this as a hostile discussion, but as a searching one, people sorting out their feelings about what it means to be African American. I know we have the Obama discussion available for review, but I don't have the time or energy to look for these posts. Can anyone here confirm my recollections on the existence and nature of these discussions?
While I would imagine there were some general benign 'searching' discussion from the Black American community, there was plenty of hostile discussion about the legitimacy and validity of Obama's citizenship, his religion, his 'blackness' or 'whiteness'. I know quite a few mixed race persons and this is always an issue, they aren't accepted by one side and don't fit in with the other. That does not make THEIR unique experiences invalid. Not to make light, but Cher's song 'Half-breed' comes to mind, it's an old song, literally and metaphorically speaking.

Cerin wrote:I bring this up because there's a new kerfuffle over a tweet, apparently by an African American man, who is upset over his perception that Kamala Harris (who has an Indian mother and a Jamaican father and was born in California) was attempting to associate herself with the African American story (that is to say, with those who are descendants of African slaves in America). I don't want to discuss the substance of this tweeter's remarks, but rather, the reaction to them. Apparently the tweet was picked up by a bunch of bots, became politicized, was retweeted by Pres. Trump and then deleted, and went viral. The immediate response has been to condemn the tweet as 'birtherism.' This surprised me, because of my recollections of the discussions about Pres. Obama's blackness. I thought those were healthy discussions and allowed people to examine a legitimate question.

So I am wondering why the difference. Harris' parentage, like Obama's is interestingly different from many African Americans, but rather than allow a similar discussion to proceed, the other candidates jumped in and condemned it as a racist attack on Harris. Is this because the Pres. retweeted the remarks, thus irrevocably tainting them? Because twitter is not a good platform for serious discussions? Because the original tweet was critical and accusatory in nature? Because social media is generally a very nasty environment? Because the nation is now much more partisan than it was then?

I find it extremely discouraging that we are apparently so much less capable of having a discussion in this country today than we were 12 years ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AADCHQc
I find it discouraging too but for a different reason. The discussion is not proceeding is because it didn't originate from an honest and naturally occurring conversation among the black community. It's an artificially manufactured 'outrage' campaign by someone who has done this before. Disingenuous propaganda. Founded, funded, and churned out by the same people who brought us the birther 'controversy'. Ali Akbar Alexander's purpose is to discredit Kamala not only as a person of color, but as an American. They are (also) claiming Harris is not a natural born citizen. I'm sure we'll be hearing the term 'anchor baby'.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cr ... itizenship

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... president/

Kamala is of mixed heritage as many Americans are. She IS a Black American. She is an Indian American. She is a natural born American female. For someone to claim she is not is absurd and says more about the person pushing that agenda than it says about her. She may not have the same history and experiences as say, Cory Booker, but he (or any other president) has never had the same experiences you or I may have had because none of them have been women. They have never been pregnant or given birth but that's not stopping men from becoming president. It also doesn't stop (any) president from having qualified people on their staff who DO have knowledge in any given area in which they are not personally familiar or expert. Kamala said she was bused. She says the neighbors wouldn't allow their children to play with her because she was black. She didn't claim her mammy picked cotton in Georgia.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Cerin wrote:Or are you saying that the facts he offered about Harris' parentage are false? Is she not of Indian-Jamaican parentage? You say it is completely different than the discussion around Obama, but the only difference I see is that there appears to have been an agenda behind the tweet and re-tweets. That doesn't make the narrative false, it just makes the sincerity of the tweeter suspect.
It's different for two reasons. First, because of the agenda behind the tweets, as you put it. But also, Harris' circumstances were completely different than Obama's. Obama grew up in a white household in Kansas and Hawaii and in Indonesia, with a white parent and an absentee African parent who had no real connection to America. Harris grew up with Jamaican-American and Indian-American parents, in a black American community (which is why she was in the second class in Berkeley to have been bused in order to facilitate integration of schools). With Obama, there was some validity to the claim that he did not share the African-American experience, though I think that was completely overblown and irrelevant to his ability to become president. With Harris, there is no validity to that narrative at all, and her mixed heritage is something that has been exploited by political enemies on the other side of the spectrum in order to attack her. I didn't like what happened with Obama, partly because it tied into the whole more blatantly racist birther/Muslim attacks, but it was completely different than what is happening with Harris.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Thanks for those details, Voronwë. That helps my understanding. (I've edited my previous post; probably shouldn't post late at night).
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Voronwë the Faithful

And I edited mine to add a missing "no" to clarify that Obama's father had no real connection to America. (Why do I do that so often?) Though really it should have been "little real connection to America." Barack Obama Sr. did attend the University of Hawaii, where he met, impregnated and married the future U.S. president's mother and also did some graduate study at Harvard (he received a masters but left before receiving his Ph.D.) but then returned to Kenya and only saw his son once after that, when he (the future president) was about 10 years old.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

This article gives an overview of how the Democratic convention will work this year. (I'm not familiar with The Intercept; the article has a slightly alarmist slant but I think it provides useful facts). We could conceivably have the super delegates choose a nominee who hasn't been in the primaries (that would be in the hypothetical case of a very contentious nominating process). The best scenario would be a clear leader by convention time.

https://theintercept.com/2019/06/30/sup ... c-nominee/
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't generally consider The Intercept to be a reliable source (in the same way that I don't consider some place like NewsMax to be a reliable source, but on the other side of the spectrum), but I can't comment about this specific article.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

When dealing with a news source I'm not familiar with I usually check it out on this Media Bias/Fact Check website.

The convention is going to be in my neck of the woods but I highly doubt I will go (not my cup o' tea).
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I set out to inform myself on school busing history, since it has become a topic of interest since the debate and found two informative articles. I think it's ironic that Biden is being criticized for backing the sort of busing plan that Harris actually benefited from -- that is to say, a locally crafted and initiated rather than a federally implemented plan. It sounds from the two articles I read as though Berkeley had a very forward thinking and idealistic local government and the citizenry was behind the plan.

I think I have to come down on Biden's side here (if I understand his position correctly), in that I think local initiative in a busing plan is probably something that would strongly contribute to a successful outcome, such as they had in Berkeley, rather than having it imposed from the outside by people unfamiliar with a community.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... te/593047/
Voronwë the Faithful

There are two problems with that, if you don't mind me pointing it out. The first is that Berkeley is one of if not the most liberal city in America, and even there it took a decade and a half after Brown v. Board of Education for them to start seriously working to desegregate schools using busing. Most communities were never going to take concrete steps to make desegregation a reality without being compelled by the federal government. The second is that Biden is being somewhat disingenuous about what his position really was about busing. There are many examples of him criticizing using busing in any form -- not just compelled by the federal government -- as a tool for desegregation, which is why the Rev. Jesse Jackson recently said that Biden was "on the wrong side of history" when it comes to busing.
Voronwë the Faithful

I expected that Harris would get a bump from her performance at the debate, and that Biden would get a negative bump from his, but I didn't expect this.

Biden, Harris in virtual tie after big shift in black support, poll shows
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I checked the aggregate polling to see if it was just an outlier, and no, Harris has genuinely doubled her support overnight in several surveys and is now trending at second: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationwid ... _primaries

Others have had their own bounces before (like the Buttigieg BounceTM over April and May) so we'll have to see if this sticks. But if it does, it'll show that a memorable debate performance can matter a lot.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'm not surprised that Kamala got a big bump, but I am a little surprised that she was the only one (according to 538) who made any noteable gains. Everyone else stayed about the same, or lost ground in the polls. I was particularly surprised to see Pete B. lose ground considering most reports seemed to indicate he did fairly well, even if he didn't have a remarkable or big moment.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Buttigieg is an impressive young man, but making the jump from the mayor of a mid-sized city to president just isn't going to happen. Harris is much better positioned to sustain her gains.

Warren has also made some gains from the debates, or rather has sustained the gains she was already making before the debates. From what I have seen, the biggest loser out of the debate may well have been Sanders, rather than Biden. Most polling has shown him to have dropped from the clear second choice to fourth behind both Harris and Warren.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

yovargas wrote:I was particularly surprised to see Pete B. lose ground considering most reports seemed to indicate he did fairly well, even if he didn't have a remarkable or big moment.
I think it was his answers to the questions about minority representation in his police force (6% v 26%) that might have hurt him. He didn't offer an explanation, he just said "I didn't get it done."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Buttigieg is an impressive young man, but making the jump from the mayor of a mid-sized city to president just isn't going to happen. Harris is much better positioned to sustain her gains.
I would certainly bet on you being right (I frankly don't understand how he's gotten as far as he has, though I like the guy), but considering my past thoughts on boiled turnips.... I'll just say much, much, much stranger things have happened.
(I also think he could to make a good VP choice if he maintains a solid standing.)
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Can't argue with any of that. Just think of a Harris/Buttigieg ticket. An African/Indian-American woman and a gay white, religiously Christian man. Now that is diversity! (Of course, an argument could be made that the general American public is not ready for that much diversity, but I'd be interested in seeing if that true. Just picture the Buttigieg/Pence debates!)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I don't know this guy, but I share his worries that overly "woke" democrats will drive voters to return Trump for another four years.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/joe-scarbo ... 202641342/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm not a big fan of 'Morning Joe' but I do largely agree with him about the Betsy Ross flag issue.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am more worried that the effort to describe conservative politics as centrist will drive down progressive turnout.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm not a big fan of 'Morning Joe' but I do largely agree with him about the Betsy Ross flag issue.
I agree in that I think it's a silly thing to be upset about. I disagree that a few people being bothered by an old flag is some grand sign of liberals gone too far and the fall of the Democratic party or whatever.

If the American people are more bothered by some people saying that old flag offends them than the fact that the Republican party has seriously gotten behind the idea that we should spend billions of dollars building a wall between ourselves and our friendly southern neighbor because Mexicans are scary, than this f***ing country deserves Trump.
-The Decemberists