2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I feel that the terms of the bet demand the consumption of a genuine hat, not delicious items vaguely resembling a hat. =:)
Well, I mean... if you can put it on your head...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:
Frelga wrote:I feel that the terms of the bet demand the consumption of a genuine hat, not delicious items vaguely resembling a hat. =:)
Well, I mean... if you can put it on your head...
Good point. We need to define how long the item has to be worn on the head before it becomes "Vornowe's hat" since the terms specified eating "his hat".
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Is that what I would look like if I shaved off my beard?

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Well, the hair match.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It might take less makeup to give you those cheekbones.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:It might take less makeup to give you those cheekbones.
Contouring 101. Remember that video?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Fine. I'll attach a cupcake to a clip. Fascinator = hat = something for Voronwë to eat.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

I like cupcakes!

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Received this from Dad today (slight language warning):

Voronwë the Faithful

Yang and. Bennett are out. So the entire field is now white.

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Deval Patrick?
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Deval Patrick is at 0.4% right now; Yang at 2.8%.
PBS News Hour wrote:Former Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick says he will “reflect” on his lackluster showing in the New Hampshire primary and will soon “make some decisions” on the future of his Democratic presidential campaign.
:(
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful

Faramond wrote:Deval Patrick?
Oh yeah. I guess he still counts. I forgot he was running.

Voronwë the Faithful

Sanders and Buttigieg are in another close battle, with Sanders having a small lead. But perhaps the real story is Amy Klobuchar being not far behind. Can she make some noise? She might have the strongest electability argument (except for that inconvenient 'wrong plumbing' thing).

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Bernie Sanders has won, but he’s had a frustrating night. He’s slightly underperformed his polls and finished less than 2 points ahead of Buttigieg in a state which should be one of his best.

Biden’s failure to break 10% is serious, but might not be fatal. He was unlucky that two of his weakest states demographically were up first – he should do better in Nevada and will still probably win South Carolina. But I wouldn’t bet on him now. By contrast, I think Warren’s sub-10% performance probably is fatal. She has a mostly educated, white, and progressive base, so if she can’t get the numbers in NH she’s in dire straits in much of the rest of the country.

The Klobucharge is the big news (as V said), while Buttigieg must be happy as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if Klobuchar ended up as someone’s VP pick. Still, both of these candidates will have a much harder time in the next two states.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, Warren is toast, sadly. And I'm not convinced that Biden can recover. Certainly if he doesn't win South Carolina he is done.

I wonder if the party establishment will start coalescing around Klobochar in an effort to stop Sanders?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

While I guess I can't say I've been following the primaries super closely, I'm sure I'm a bit more informed than the average person, and I still feel like I know basically nothing about Klobuchar. Like, I'm literally not sure I know what she looks like even. I keep forgetting she exists and am frankly very surprised she's still here somehow.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Well, you know how to spell her name, which is apparently more than I do! ;)