2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Frelga »

Ah, the Hill is back on its BS.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It wasn't The Hill that conducted the poll. It was independently funded by the University of Massachusetts Lowell, designed and analyzed by the Center for Public Opinion and fielded by YouGov. The Hill just reported on it. I don't think you can blame them for that.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I can and I will.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'm not sure a poll with such a question on it is meant to be taken as a serious metric of anything other than moods.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Except the Hill is trying to make some earnest comment about party divisions. And you know that certain other outlets will pick up the "Democrats want you all to die" theme. So I continue to blame them and everyone involved.

Voronwë the Faithful

From moderate anti-Trump Republican columnist David Brooks: "Democrats may wind up in a position in which they can’t nominate Bernie Sanders because he’s too far left, and they can’t not nominate him because his followers would bolt from a Biden/Bloomberg/Buttigieg-led party."

That's pretty much how I see things right now.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

You can excoriate Rolling Stone instead, Frelga. This article is seven hours earlier than the one in The Hill.

Large Majority of New Hampshire Democrats Prefer Death by Meteor Than to See Trump Win Again

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

They are all barstuds.

Eta: in the spirit of word nerdery, I don't know why V used "instead" and not "also", as if I'm only capable of being angry at one target at a time.

Voronwë the Faithful

Because you suggested that other media outlets would pick up on The Hill's report as if it was somehow their fault. I think it is silly to be upset with media for reporting something that is newsworthy. If you don't like the poll, blame the pollster.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Is every poll "newsworthy" though?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And is it ethical to report a poll like this as if it remotely indicates an actual preference for an extinction event?

Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:Is every poll "newsworthy" though?
No. But this one certainly is.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Disagree.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I knew that already.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

There's something about the wording of that poll that urges people to choose the deadly option. Is it just that most people don't take the possibility of an extinction level event seriously, so it doesn't seem real to them? "Well, THAT would never happen, so I choose that."

If the poll asked, "Would you prefer to see Trump to be reelected? Or have everyone and everything you know and love be killed?" I suspect the answer ratios would be quite different.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think the point of the question is to suggest that people really want an extinction event. I think it is just a way to show just how strongly they oppose Mr. Trump. I think it is funny that people take it so literally.
Voronwë the Faithful

538 is now forecasting a 1 in 2 chance of Sanders winning the nomination (actually 46%). The second most likely scenario? No majority at 1 in 4 (actually 23%). Biden is now down to 1 in 5, Warren is at 1 in 20, and despite his 'victory' in Iowa, Buttigieg is at 1 in 25. They forecast a 1 in 80 chance of my eating my hat. All others combined are less than 0.1%.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Every time you say that I'm tempted to figure out how to make a carrot cake shaped like a hat. Keep it up and I might just do it no matter who takes the nomination. With the warning that my decorating skills are special. Really unique and special. Only reason you'll never find one of my rare works on Cake Wrecks is I am not a professional (for good reason).
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

I like carrot cake!

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I feel that the terms of the bet demand the consumption of a genuine hat, not delicious items vaguely resembling a hat. =:)