2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Dave_LF »

Touché
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Hindsight is 20/20 (boy, doesn't that phrase take on a whole new meaning) but I think had just about any one else been president we wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Maybe, but plenty of countries are in plenty of trouble right now without any help from Donald Trump.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:Maybe, but plenty of countries are in plenty of trouble right now without any help from Donald Trump.
I've thought about this and I stand by my statement. Right or wrong or anything in-between, many countries have long relied on the US to lead the way. Prior to Trump the USA had a pandemic response team. Team members were placed throughout the world to keep an out out for early signs of a pandemic and try to get a handle on it early and warn the public. Because that system was not in place it was massive failure. Can we blame everything on DJT? No, but I strongly believe their would have been a much better, much earlier, coordinated response and I don't think we'd be facing the problems we are now. The chaos, etc..
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

That could be true, of course. And I guess I wouldn't contest the idea that things would be LESS bad with a more competent, less adversarial president. Even if the disease had played out exactly the same way, the riots etc. probably would not have.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Delay the election? Take Trump seriously. Laws and the Constitution haven't stopped him yet.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 545947002/
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
Delay the election? Take Trump seriously. Laws and the Constitution haven't stopped him yet.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 545947002/
Frighteningly all too true. Brush off Trumps musings, 'suggestions', threats, at our own peril. He will do as he wishes. Who has stopped him when he has broken the law? We have 3 branches of government that are supposed to be co-equal but that only works with honest brokers, not a lawless dictator wannabe. Who is going to police the laws? The Senate has not done their due diligence. The Attorney General is supposed to work on behalf of the people, but he is a lackey for the president alone. He ignores the Supreme Court.
elengil

Post by elengil »

:rage:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Stupid question by reporter! Why aren't they asking the question a REAL president would be dealing with right now? What is he doing to insure a safe and fair election? What he is basically saying is that we can not have a fair election. So much misinformation he is spewing!
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

"Fake news...but in this case it's not fake, it's true."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Absentee and mail-in is the same thing. Several states do all of their voting by mail and have for years.

Brian Tyler Cohen is right about one thing; VOTE. VOTE in such large numbers the election cannot be called into question.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Absentee and mail-in is the same thing. Several states do all of their voting by mail and have for years.

Brian Tyler Cohen is right about one thing; VOTE. VOTE in such large numbers the election cannot be called into question.
But they'll use that as PROOF of corruption! Higher voter turn out? Overwhelming win? OBVIOUSLY CORRUPT!
was a 2020 planner.

Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Wow.... 'It's fake news unless I say it isn't fake'
Ballots are not universal. They vary by precinct. I just e-voted in the Washington State primary and it would be nearly next to impossible to vote a second time. If someone manages to get two ballots say from two different counties, then they have already committed fraud by not disclosing that they were registered to vote when they registered to vote the second time. In Washington State these are caught at the state level and both ballots "get thrown out" as signatures are duplicated. As far as registering to vote in different states, I don't know how that is checked.

Saying that 'tens of thousands' of ballots have been 'thrown out' in such a way that it is assumed by the trump-following paramecium-brains that it was due to 'voter fraud attempts' is simply untrue. One thing that is for sure is that voting-by-mair does require someone to know how to read.

Article on New Your State Primary
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

He's definitely grooming his followers to not accept the results of the election no matter how things play out (unless he wins, of course). He needs to stop whining and do his job. I'm so sick of his whining. He's worse than a toddler.

Snowdog.. agreed. I signed up for mail-in ballots for the first time this year. Fraud would be difficult. I physically drop our completed ballots off at our town hall in the secure dropbox. Wisconsin had problems with ballots being lost/not delivered to the voter. I had to request my ballot twice because I the first one never arrived. What is odd is that another family member got theirs and they were requested at the same time. I was told that if the second ballot ever arrived (it didn't) I should toss it because a ballot was sent in twice it would discount both of them.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The co-founder of the Federalist Society has called for Trump's immediate impeachment and removal in a NYT op-ed. So there's that.
CNN article with link to the op-ed.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Co-founder of influential conservative group: Trump's tweet floating election delay is grounds for impeachment"

Is that pushback enough for you, Frelga and elengil?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:"Co-founder of influential conservative group: Trump's tweet floating election delay is grounds for impeachment"

Honestly, no. What I want is for every Republican in government to howl, maybe suggest that the RNC WON'T put Trump on the ballot as a Republican. I want them to react to Trump saying this the way they would have reacted had Obama said it.

What they're doing is saying "tsk, of course we won't even consider this." What they *broadly* are not doing is decrying this as yet one more step of a wanna be dictator toward fascism. And I'm getting really tired of them treating Trump like the crazy old racist uncle who is annoying but ultimately harmless so you just ignore him instead of treating him like the president who as repeatedly and deliberately broken almost every rule, law, tradition, norm that he's gone after, is currently ACTIVELY ignoring SCOTUS, and is marching us down the path to authoritarianism.

And no, I do not believe that this is an over-reaction in the slightest.

You know what would be pushback enough? If the house Republicans called for that impeachment. I want Republicans to wake TF up and act like this is a threat, because it is.

One Republican co-founder of influential conservative group does not cut it.

edit to add: I see a LOT of quotes by Republicans stating flat out that elections won't be delayed. What I don't see is them rebuking Trump for even suggesting it or rejecting his claims about mass voting fraud.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:"Co-founder of influential conservative group: Trump's tweet floating election delay is grounds for impeachment"

I thought the op-ed in the NYT was well written and succinct. I am saddened that this is what it took for a wake-up call, after years of flaunting laws and norms. However Trump's tweet was not aimed at the likes of the Federalist society. I have no doubt discrediting will follow as it has with anyone who questions/criticizes/disagrees with Trump. It will be interesting to see what his tantrum will be about on his Twit-feed in the morning.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Let's see what unfolds from here.

In other news, the US GDP tanked harder than it has ever tanked before in Q2 of this year. Trump's psychotic break du jour diverted attention from that but it's not good news for anyone. Especially if your main argument for re-election is the strength of the economy...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Pushback needs to come from sitting members of Congress.

I'm looking to a tweet on how Federalist society is leftie commie anarchist, though. =:)
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!