2020 Presidential Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: 2020 Presidential Election

Post by Impenitent »

Agree with Dave.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Both Biden and Trump have talked about the election being rigged or stolen, which sets the stage for both sides to question and/or refuse to accept the results of the election. Fortunately, we don't have an immediate transfer of power after elections, so there will be a few weeks to investigate charges of election fraud. I doubt very much that the election will be a settled matter on election night, unless someone wins in a landslide. I expect more rioting and arson, regardless of how it plays out.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I toggle back and forth between thinking this is far-fetched and being terrified.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-trump-coul ... on-1513975
That is pretty terrifying.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Swing states.... got to watch the usual suspects.... Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida.
I'm a left coast voter so my electoral votes are predetermined at this point. Will be interesting.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

He believes there's a "silent majority" that's with him.

He also believed COVID-19 would vanish when the weather warmed up. He has since shifted to believing it will go away if we stop looking for it and start going out to eat again.

He also apparently believes that squawking about statues is going to win over people who've lost jobs and loved ones to the pandemic.

I assume he believes his makeup and hairstyle make him look good.

He might be a little bit prone to magical thinking.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

He might be a little bit prone to magical thinking.
:rofl: :rofl:

No kidding! :devil:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I see that the Republican party appears content with being represented by their nominee.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Trump badly wants more rioting so he can blame it on Democrats and get people to vote for him out of fear. It remains to be seen how far he'll go to get it, but...
Dave_LF wrote:You think Trump is acting crazy now, just wait until it starts to sink in that he's behind
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:Trump badly wants more rioting so he can blame it on Democrats and get people to vote for him out of fear. It remains to be seen how far he'll go to get it, but...
Dave_LF wrote:You think Trump is acting crazy now, just wait until it starts to sink in that he's behind
That's why we are seeing Federal agents who are trained for border patrol drug busts in Portland.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

But Sen. Collins *assured* us Trump had learned his lesson.

... it just wasn't the lesson Sen Collins thought.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Also, I have recently been watching a youtube series called Beau of the Fifth Column.
They are mostly very reasonable, eye-opening, plain discussions on current events.

Today's was absolutely horrifically terrifying.

was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

*twitch* that scares me. I'm wondering how someone with a bit more political acumen would respond.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't know that I would say that I have more political acumen, but I didn't find that convincing at all.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I don't know that I would say that I have more political acumen, but I didn't find that convincing at all.
Not sure I understand what you mean.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think I will say anything further as I don't want to offend anyone.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë is saying he did not find that video you posted very convincing.

Rose was wondering how someone with a bit more political acumen would respond to the video, which is why V. commented, "I don't know if I have more political acumen, but..."
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote:Voronwë is saying he did not find that video you posted very convincing.

Rose was wondering how someone with a bit more political acumen would respond to the video, which is why V. commented, "I don't know if I have more political acumen, but..."
I understood the general sentiment, I was hoping he would explain what he meant by 'not very convincing'.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

From the latest update from historian Heather Cox Richardson, who as I've said before is on my opinion the best current commentator on current events in the U.S.:
The administration’s attacks on Black protesters have actually gained power for the movement. Tonight the official account of Major League Baseball tweeted a photo of members of the San Francisco Giants kneeling during the national anthem along with the hashtag BlackLivesMatter. When users complained about their stance, the account user responded in a defense of the tactics that brought football quarterback Colin Kaepernick such anger from Trump and Pence. The administrator wrote: “It has never been about the military or the flag. The players and coaches are using their platforms to peacefully protest.”

Trump’s attempts to downplay the coronavirus are not getting the traction he wishes, either. The Washington Nationals baseball team has invited “Nats super-fan,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, to throw out the ceremonial first pitch on Opening Day, Thursday, July 23. “Dr. Fauci has been a true champion for our country during the Covid-19 pandemic and throughout his distinguished career, so it is only fitting that we honor him as we kick off the 2020 season and defend our World Series Championship title.” Fauci donned a Nationals face mask when he testified before a House Committee on the coronavirus.

Trump’s attempt to divert attention from the coronavirus and protests against police violence against Black Americans is not working. He is attempting to portray those who oppose him as violent criminals, and promises to bring back LAW & ORDER, as he repeatedly tweets. But it is not working. Only 33% of Americans approve of his handling of the coronavirus pandemic and only 31% approve of his handling of race relations. And as for law and order: most people also trust Biden, rather than Trump, on that issue, too, by a margin of 49% to 42%.

And the federal intrusion into the cities appears to be backfiring. The crowds in Portland are increasing dramatically. Tonight the Wall of Moms waved their hands above their heads as they softly sang a new lullaby: “Hands up, please don’t shoot me.”
Hopefully that will sufficiently answer your question, elengil.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dallas radio personality Mark Davis complained to Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban in a tweet about players taking a knee,
"I am so ready to be be in on this year's #Mavericks home stretch: so much promise, so much personality. But the minute one player kneels during the anthem, I am OUT. Surely @mcuban can lead the way for #Mavs, #NBA to do whatever gesture they wish without insulting the nation."
Presumably Mark Davis was expecting something different than Mark Cuban's short reply:
"Bye"
Cuban followed with another tweet:
"The National Anthem Police in the United States are out of control. If you want to complain, complain to your boss and ask why they don't play the National Anthem every day before you start work".
Good for him.