Disaster! (Justice Kennedy Resigns)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I probably should and will change the name of this thread, but I can't think of anything more apt from my point of view. Justice Kennedy has announced his resignation, meaning that Trump will be able to name his replacement, and McConnell will be able to ram it through the Senate before the next Congress. This means, among many other things, that abortion will again be illegal in this country very soon. And probably same-sex marriage, as well.

Disaster!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Disaster!

Post by Jude »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: This means, among many other things, that abortion will again be illegal in this country very soon. And probably same-sex marriage, as well.
Is that your best guess, or an absolute certainty?
Voronwë the Faithful

My best guess. But if he nominates someone similar to Gorsuch and he is confirmed (I say "he" because I seriously doubt that Trump will nominate a woman) it would be a near-certainty.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:(

WTF could he not retire in the Obama years??
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, Scalia passed away in the Obama years and Obama still wasn't able to replace him. Kennedy's replacement would largely be a moot point if Merrick Garland was on the court instead of Gorsuch.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: Disaster! (Justice Kennedy Resigns)

Post by Inanna »

Since the timing of retirement can be chosen, I’m thinking like something early 2013.

This is horrible. Just horrible.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Really, the only way that this resignation will not lead to the end of legalized abortion and same-sex marriage would be if Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski refuse to confirm a nominee that is not committed to upholding Roe v. Wade and Obergefell v. Hodges, which is think is quite unlikely.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Is he resigning right away? If he waited till after the midterms, the Dems could at least maybe block any really extreme nominations....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

tinwë

Post by tinwë »

July 31. Yes, this is disaster.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

McConnell already said he isn't going to wait until the midterms.

Is there any explanation for the urgency of his retirement?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Do such SCOTUS rulings get overturned easily? I Mean, when they passed, they became law, no?
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:Is there any explanation for the urgency of his retirement?
The Kennedy watch has been going on for several terms now. Last year many thought he was going to retire when he did not initially hire new clerks. I think he just decided it was time. He is, after all, 83 years old, and he has been on the court for 30 years. That is a long time.

Inanna wrote:Do such SCOTUS rulings get overturned easily? I Mean, when they passed, they became law, no?
Justices are supposed follow precedent under the doctrine of stare decisis unless they determine that the previous decision was clearly incorrect. For instance, the decision of Plessy v. Ferguson, which held that segregation was legal if it was "separate-but-equal" was overturned in the landmark Brown v. Board of Education case. I'm sure that to conservatives, overturning Roe v. Wade would be considered equivalent to that.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:This means, among many other things, that abortion will again be illegal in this country very soon. And probably same-sex marriage, as well.
How confident are you in those predictions?
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

To actually make abortion and/or gay marriage illegal nationwide would require new bills from Congress, would it not? I think either one would be difficult to get through even now, and even if the Supreme Court promised to stay out of the way afterwards.
Voronwë the Faithful

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:This means, among many other things, that abortion will again be illegal in this country very soon. And probably same-sex marriage, as well.
How confident are you in those predictions?
I'm going to say probably 70-30 for abortion and 50-50 for same-sex marriage. Of course, that is only a rough estimate. I think it largely comes down to whether Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski are willing to buck the GOP leadership and reject a strongly anti-abortion nominee. And even if they did, vulnerable Democratic senators like Manchin and Heitkamp might vote to confirm. I think it would be harder to overturn Obergefell than Roe because public opinion has turned so sharply. Normally, a decision that has been in place for as long as Roe has would be due more deference, but I think Roe is the exception to that, as strongly criticized as it has been all along.

And of course as Dave points out, it is not that abortion or same-sex marriage will be illegal nationwide. Rather it will be on a state-wide basis. CNN's legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin predicted that abortion will be illegal in 20 states within 18 months. That sounds about right to me.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Dave_LF wrote:To actually make abortion and/or gay marriage illegal nationwide would require new bills from Congress, would it not? I think either one would be difficult to get through even now, and even if the Supreme Court promised to stay out of the way afterwards.

A more precise statement would be that the future court would allow individual states to make abortion or same-sex marriage illegal.

eta - I'm less worried about marriage as I think that ship has largely sailed. As I recall, it has majority support even among Reps. Even if a few states pursue laws to not perform them, I doubt any would pass laws to not acknowledge marriages performed elsewhere, which would make it easy to get around.
Last edited by yovargas on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Yes, that I could see.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes, I can see that. Women, especially worn in red states will be hammered. I forgot about the state thing - that seems like a blessing now.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Not all blue states yet have solid abortion rights laws—New York is apparently one of them. There will be some scrambling this year.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I recall how aggravating it was when the Senate refused to consider Merrick, and how infuriating their supposed rationale was. I thought it was plainly wrong of them not to do their constitutional duty and consider Obama's nominee. Democrats all railed against this (ineffectually). But now I've received at least a dozen emails from leftist activist groups with petitions urging Democrats to propose the same thing -- no SCOTUS hearings until after the election (although I don't know that Dems have the power to actually prevent hearings, as the Republicans did).

It seems to me if the claims of undermining the constitutional process were valid then, they are equally valid now, and people should not be urging Congress to double down on a bad precedent. I just wondered what the rest of you thought about that. Even though it's a disaster in the making, shouldn't we urge respect for the constitutional process?

edit

make that a half dozen
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.