"Zero Tolerance", Family separations & other immigration iss

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: "Zero Tolerance", Family separations & other immigration

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

There is a lot of interesting history in Boston and the surrounding area.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Irika will love it. The place is super interactive, it has actors, and holographic reenactments that I thought were actors, and talking portraits, and a tour of a replica tea ship. Also a film about the Revolutionary War that may be a tad too intense.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oh wonderful! Ok - let’s end osgiliation here and I will continue in the Parlour.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Back on topic - live tweet of family separation status conference by a KQED reporter starts here.

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/1021879370430832640
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Frelga wrote:AKA taxation without representation. Didn't people get quite upset about that at one point?
Not quite the same. They were taxed by their own government without representation. If I visit another country, I'm not in a great position to complain about their taxation policy.

Are you advocating an easy path to citizenship or are you advocating that non-citizens be given the vote?
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think the current pathway to citizenship is pretty reasonable.

NPR
Brian Kemp, who was endorsed by President Trump, raised eyebrows in Georgia by saying he would use his own pickup truck to "round up criminal illegals."

He easily won a runoff to become the GOP's candidate for governor. https://t.co/U2J36axwhs

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Current pathway is reasonable as long as you are not Indian or Chinese.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

You mean there is an actual path outside of being related to a citizen?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yes. First you get a visa that can be adjusted to a green card. Not all of them are. The tourist visa and J1's can't be. An H1-B, however, can, and if you have a F1 student visa you can adjust to a H1-B without leaving the US. Unless the quota gets filled. But if your would-be employer pays the expedite fee you get bumped to the head of the line and that's an edge. Then you adjust to a green card, which is fraught with peril and stress and paperwork and if you make it through all that you have a party because holy shit, you're almost there. Then, after a wait period (no idea why there's a wait period, there just is), you file for citizenship. Marrying an American can get you through the system with relative speed and ease so long as you had some sort of legal status to start with (even a tourist visa will do, so long as you didn't overstay) but it's not the only way.

Alternatively, if you're from a nation that's allowed into the green card lottery (the official name is something else; that's just what those who play it call it) and you win your path to citizenship is simple: move to the US if you haven't already. Wait your prescribed amount of time. File.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

The H1s and the extraordinary ability ones, all come under “employment-based” categories. Where either your employer has to file for your GC or you prove you are so amazing that you don’t need an employer. The employment category works well for all, except Indian & Chinese. So for example, someone from Sri Lanka will get it in 6 months to a year (after approval). After approval, an Indian will get it in approximately 20-25 years (an estimate).