Ireland looks set to repeal the 8th Amendment

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: Ireland looks set to repeal the 8th Amendment

Post by Maria »

Induction wasn't even mentioned as a possibility for me in the 80s and I didn't know any better.
Frankly, I was more worried about whether a severely mutated baby was in there (it was right after Chernobyl and we weren't that far away) Ultra sound would have allayed many of my fears, but it wasn't available yet, at least not in military hospitals.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

In the 80's, ultrasounds were for high risk pregnancies only (now they're routine). I'm not sure what the rules were for inductions, though pitocin was on the menu the year Chernobyl happened. I know this because my youngest sister was born that year. Mom's labor stalled and they had to get her going again.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

In 1989, I would have been induced at 43 weeks, or the Wednesday after my week 42 appointment. David (a sweet kid and a sweet, smart young man) chose to arrive on the intervening Saturday.

(All three of our babies were born on Saturdays, between noon and 10:30 PM. Worked out wonderfully for Tom, who was teaching at the university in those years.)

(He kept the overhead transparency [whippersnappers may ask their parents] on which he wrote “David Benjamin Landon, 8 lb 11 oz,” which was greeted by cheers and applause from his huge freshman bio class.)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:love:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude