World News Thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: World News Thread

Post by RoseMorninStar »

There was a birthday in the family & they requested a DQ ice cream cake. This brought to mind something that happened locally that went viral a few years ago; the owner of a nearby Dairy Queen posted this notice on the door and on their Facebook page:
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 11.34.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 11.34.58 AM.png (212.03 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
I have no problem with most of the 'notice' but it devolves into (not sure I can put the word on here) @$$hole territory toward the bottom. It's an excuse to be mean, rude, and just a plain nasty jerk. It is this type of thing I think of when I hear people bemoaning 'political correctness'. Bullying, name-calling, an excuse to be a jerk and blame it on anyone who doesn't hold their view.

If you can't read the notice I'll type it out here:
NOTICE
This Restaurant is Politically Incorrect
We have been known to Say
"Merry Christmas"
"Happy Easter"
"God Bless America"
We Salute and Honor the Flag,
Give thanks to our Troops,
Police Officers, and Firefighters,
Give thanks for the USA
and give free Sundaes to Veterans on Veterans Day
If this offends you,
you are welcome to contact the owner at
kewaskumdq@gmail.com
and arrange a designated 'snowflake safe space'.
a minimum 24 hours in advance.
In God We Trust
KEWASKUM DQ
www.DQCAKES.COM
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I really don't understand why people who are running a business do things like this. Money is still green regardless of the politics of the person whose wallet it's in. If I was making a living selling sundaes I'd just as happily sell one to the guy in the MAGA hat as well as the Warren supporter.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I suspect that it is likely that the calculation made is that more MAGA supporters in the area are going to be attracted to the business precisely because of the meanness towards liberals than that the limited number of Warren supporters in the area are going to be driven away.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Túrin, I agree but I suspect Voronwë probably hit the nail on the head. I would patronize a business even if I knew the owner was of a different faith, views, politics etc.., but this is beyond the pale imo and goes into an UNNECESSARY cruel pettiness that I just cannot support. I refuse to give them any business.
Voronwë the Faithful

I split off the discussion about theU.S. Iraq Conflict to a separate thread.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I split off the discussion about theU.S. Iraq Conflict to a separate thread.
You might want to move my post with the two videos over, too, since that's what those videos were discussing and I reference them in one of the posts you did move. :)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Okay, I'll track that post down and move it!

Edit: done (I also moved Rose's head-banging post in response to it).
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Túrin, I agree but I suspect Voronwë probably hit the nail on the head. I would patronize a business even if I knew the owner was of a different faith, views, politics etc.., but this is beyond the pale imo and goes into an UNNECESSARY cruel pettiness that I just cannot support. I refuse to give them any business.
What is beyond the pale, cruel or petty about that sign? Would you say the same about a store that put up a statement of a politically correct point of view?

You said 'a few years ago.' Was that before Trump?
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cerin wrote:Would you say the same about a store that put up a statement of a politically correct point of view?
I would think a leftist version of that sign was petty and mean-spirited, yes.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

"Merry Christmas"
"Happy Easter"
"God Bless America"
Give thanks for the USA
If this offends you,
The implication is that anyone accused of being "PC" would be offended by Merry Christmas or Happy Easter or God Bless America, or that they don't salute the flag or appreciate the troops, police, or firefighters, or that they don't give thanks for being American or would somehow have a problem with free sundaes to Veterans.

The entire sign is not a mere statement of values but an attack on everyone labeled "PC". It creates a box to put people in. (That box says we're right, we're *real* Americans - anyone who is on the left hates all these things and our freedum and you and so we hate them and do this intentionally to offend them because they're sensitive snowflakes who can't handle criticism and demand safe spaces, so this is a safe space from them.)

I can't actually think of what a "leftist" version of this sign would be?? What sign says "F-you" while pretending to be supportive of left ideals?

Like... how do you turn this into an attack on the right?

This Restaurant is Politically Correct
Happy Holidays, and Seasons Greetings, and Merry Christmas, and Happy Hanukkah,
and Happy Easter, or Eid Mubarak if these apply
"God Bless America" but also want to work for a better nation for all
We Salute and Honor the Flag, but respect the right of those to protest as just as important an expression of freedom
Give thanks to our Troops, even the gay and transgender ones
Police Officers, and Firefighters, nurses and doctors, but also ask for accountability when they refuse to do their jobs or abuse their authority
Give thanks for the USA and for all our allies without whom we would not be nearly so well off
and give free Sundaes to Veterans on Veterans Day, but also to overworked, underpaid single parents
And we're happy to refer to you by your chosen pronouns and name, no matter what you look like
If this offends you...
Sorry?
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The sign is a passive aggressive accusation that leftists are too sensitive, hate their country, don't care about the troops, ect.
The left-wing version would be a passive aggressive accusation that conservatives are bigoted and ignorant.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:The implication is that anyone accused of being "PC" would be offended by Merry Christmas or Happy Easter or God Bless America, or that they don't salute the flag or appreciate the troops, police, or firefighters, or that they don't give thanks for being American or would somehow have a problem with free sundaes to Veterans.*

The entire sign is not a statement of values but an attack on everyone labeled "PC". It creates a box to put people in.

I can't actually think of what a "leftist" version of this sign would be?? What sign says "F-you" while pretending to be supportive of left ideals?

Like... how do you turn this into an attack on the right?

This Restaurant is Politically Correct
Happy Holidays, and Seasons Greetings, and Merry Christmas, and Happy Hanukkah,
and Happy Easter, or Eid Mubarak if these apply
"God Bless America" but also want to work for a better nation for all
We Salute and Honor the Flag, but respect the right of those to protest as just as important an expression of freedom
Give thanks to our Troops, even the gay and transgender ones
Police Officers, and Firefighters, nurses and doctors, but also ask for accountability when they refuse to do their jobs or abuse their authority
Give thanks for the USA and for all our allies without whom we would not be nearly so well off
and give free Sundaes to Veterans on Veterans Day, but also to overworked, underpaid single parents
And we're happy to refer to you by your chosen pronouns and name, no matter what you look like
If this offends you...
Sorry?
*my bolding
Agreed elengil.

The sign went up in Sept. 2017.
If this offends you, you are welcome to contact the owner at
kewaskumdq@gmail.com
and arrange a designated 'snowflake safe space'.
a minimum 24 hours in advance.
:roll: This is the part of the notice that is intended to provoke and was totally unnecessary. The manager should have finished it off with something to the effect of 'We wish everyone a wonderful day!' The way he chose to word it would be unnecessary unless it was his intention to insult, bully, create controversy, and be a jerk. It's a type of 'code'. As elengil points out, it presumes that anyone who is not of his viewpoint isn't a 'real' American.

It may come as a huge surprise to this manager, but there are many firefighters, police officers, active military and veterans who are not White Christians. There are Jewish, Muslim, Sikh, Buddhists, Atheists, Agnostics, etc.. who come in all shapes, sizes, and persuasions. Some are even *gasp* democrats or liberals! (oh! the horror!). Because his business is in a small White Heavily Republican Christian town with few other options he has the luxury of believing this country is 'One Nation Under My White Male Christian God-everyone-else-can-go-to-hell' attitude, but that is divisive and not what made this country great or what the founding fathers intended.
It reminds me of signs from the past that might say, "White's Only" or "Irish not welcome."

I cannot think of think of an alternative offensive sign that would imply one isn't a REAL American although this from the Statue of Liberty has been known to rile a few:

The New Colossus - Emma Lazarus, 1883

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
yovargas wrote:The sign is a passive aggressive accusation that leftists are too sensitive, hate their country, don't care about the troops, ect.
The left-wing version would be a passive aggressive accusation that conservatives are bigoted and ignorant.
Close, although bigoted & ignorant doesn't pack the same punch/call into question one's patriotism/loyalty.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

elengil wrote:
"Merry Christmas"
"Happy Easter"
"God Bless America"
Give thanks for the USA
If this offends you,
The implication is that anyone accused of being "PC" would be offended by Merry Christmas or Happy Easter or God Bless America, or that they don't salute the flag or appreciate the troops, police, or firefighters, or that they don't give thanks for being American or would somehow have a problem with free sundaes to Veterans.

The entire sign is not a mere statement of values but an attack on everyone labeled "PC". It creates a box to put people in. (That box says we're right, we're *real* Americans - anyone who is on the left hates all these things and our freedum and you and so we hate them and do this intentionally to offend them because they're sensitive snowflakes who can't handle criticism and demand safe spaces, so this is a safe space from them.)
It also, to me, conveys that weird aggression people sometimes display when they are feeling insecure about something. Makes me wonder who's really in need of the safe space.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

yovargas wrote:The sign is a passive aggressive accusation that leftists are too sensitive, hate their country, don't care about the troops, ect.
It would, but despite living in possibly the most liberal college town in the US, I've never seen a progressive version of this. What I'm seeing is a direct opposite - signs saying that everyone welcome here.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Back to India, apparently Moti's racist policies are not going over very well with many people.

https://www.mintpressnews.com/largest-s ... MuYwfIQ6Gg

What are you hearing about this strike, Inanna?

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Haven’t heard a peep about the strike! None of the national Indian newspapers I follow mention it. Will ask folks.

And yes, the citizenship amendment act is being protested - especially across Universities. And various places. Modi is being besieged by continuous protests, sit-ins and Marches. No signs of the Modi-Shah duo backing off even a bit...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Netanyahu was indicted today, after he voluntarily gave up his claim of immunity (when it became apparent that the Knesset was about to strip him of immunity). It is not clear to me when his trial will be, but the next Israeli election (after two previous elections failed to achieve a majority coalition government) is in March. Meanwhile, he was on hand for Trump's long-awaited announcement of his dead-on-arrival Mid-East peace plan, which was drafted with no input from Palestinians.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Meanwhile, he was on hand for Trump's long-awaited announcement of his dead-on-arrival Mid-East peace plan, which was drafted with no input from Palestinians.
Consent isn't Trump's thing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil

Post by elengil »

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/02 ... urity.html
The Palestinian Authority has cut all ties with the United States and Israel, including those relating to security, after rejecting a Middle East peace plan presented by U.S. President Donald Trump, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said on Saturday.
That went about as well as you'd expect.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

To be somewhat fair, so did everything else to date.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!