World News Thread

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: World News Thread

Post by Dave_LF »

Well; they're not being dropped from drones, therefore...
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote:Well; they're not being dropped from drones, therefore...
Can't argue that logic.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

In other news to lighten the day: Ireland has ruled that Subway's bread... isn't. :rofl:

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/01/91918904 ... isnt-bread
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I saw that too, and thought it was hilarious.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

10% sugar! Jeeeez.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That is a lot of sugar. It's not unusual for there to be strict rules as to what constitutes bread from a historical point of view. As early as the 13th century bread regulation was common as an early form of wage/price controls as unscrupulous bakers would use inferior products to cut corners. Townsends does a whole series on early breads. In some places it could only be made of flour, water, salt.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjcJUG ... B5848077C3[/media]
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:That is a lot of sugar. It's not unusual for there to be strict rules as to what constitutes bread from a historical point of view. As early as the 13th century bread regulation was common as an early form of wage/price controls as unscrupulous bakers would use inferior products to cut corners. Townsends does a whole series on early breads. In some places it could only be made of flour, water, salt.
Oh! I like that guy!
was a 2020 planner.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

You never stop being Queenslander, and I will always feel a close attachment to the state where I was born and grew up, even though I haven't been back in several years and will certainly never live there again. But it will keep turning up the most...interesting political candidates. Every state election sees at least a half-dozen of them pop up in the media. For example:
An LNP candidate said he regrets sharing an article questioning if education for married women was a waste of time. [He shared a retro ABC article] with a caption saying "a lot of good points raised here".
"I'm afraid I'll have to sit on the fence on this one. Definitely more research is needed!"
The post was in response to a 1961 article asking if educating married women was a waste of time.

And he's a major party candidate in a marginal seat - you'd think they'd check this.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

jeez.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I’m keeping an eye on the NZ election results as they come in. Jacinda Arden’s Labour Government is one of the first to face public judgement for its handling of the COVID-19 pandemic. And the news for NZ Labour is exceptionally good – it’s heading for a historic landslide. On 49.5% of the vote, it’s tracking to win 64 or 65 of the 120 seats in the Parliament up from 46 – an absolute majority. The National Party opposition is likely down to 35 from 54. Despite the odd outbreak, the country is still effectively COVID-free, as I was reminded when I watched a Bledisloe Cup rugby game on TV last weekend and saw a packed stadium. It was an odd sight. But obviously a welcome one for the NZ electorate.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Russian MPs consider lifetime immunity for former presidents

This is as far as The Guardian will go:
The draft bill would give a former president immunity from criminal prosecution for any offences committed during his lifetime. A supermajority of lawmakers would be required to revoke the protections. Currently, ex-presidents are protected for actions taken only while they were in office.

It is the second bill this week that provides special provisions for former presidents, prompting talk of whether Putin, 68, might be preparing for retirement.
Sources like New York Post and Daily Mail are claiming that Putin will retire next year because of health concerns.

This, of course, could have no possible bearing on the outcome of the US elections at all.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Would it apply to other nations' ex-presidents who happen to be *living* in Russia?
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Frelga wrote:Russian MPs consider lifetime immunity for former presidents

This is as far as The Guardian will go:
The draft bill would give a former president immunity from criminal prosecution for any offences committed during his lifetime. A supermajority of lawmakers would be required to revoke the protections. Currently, ex-presidents are protected for actions taken only while they were in office.

It is the second bill this week that provides special provisions for former presidents, prompting talk of whether Putin, 68, might be preparing for retirement.
Sources like New York Post and Daily Mail are claiming that Putin will retire next year because of health concerns.

This, of course, could have no possible bearing on the outcome of the US elections at all.
If it's a way to convince Putin to step aside, it may be worthwhile.

Although they really need to look into maintaining some way of seizing his ill-gotten gains. Putin is either the richest or second-richest man on the planet, and unlike Jeff Bezos, I don't think Putin came by his wealth honestly. Russia could use that $200 billion!
elengil

Post by elengil »

The draft bill would give a former president immunity from criminal prosecution for any offences committed during his lifetime.
Nothing says "I'm guilty as hell" like a lifetime criminal immunity.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, to be fair, it also says "this country has a history of turning on its former leaders."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Well, to be fair, it also says "this country has a history of turning on its former leaders."
...I mean... okay, that's a good point. But still...
was a 2020 planner.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

The Wall Street Journal says that Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu met earlier today with Saudi crown prince and bone saw enthusiast Mohammed bin Salman in Neom, a "smart city" being constructed in Saudi Arabia on the Red Sea; U.S. secretary of state Mike Pompeo was also there. The WSJ says this was the first ever meeting between Netanyahu and bin Salman. Saudi Arabia is denying that Netanyahu or any Israeli officials were there. Various Israeli news outlets, citing both Israeli and Saudi sources, say this wasn't the first meeting between the two men, Israel's defense minister Benny Gantz says that Netanyahu should have informed his cabinet about what he was up to and suggests that Netanyahu himself leaked the news of this trip (to distract from yet another scandal), and I'm left wondering if Seth Abramson was right after all.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

N.E. Brigand wrote:The Wall Street Journal says that Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu met earlier today with Saudi crown prince and bone saw enthusiast Mohammed bin Salman ...
I know this is no laughing matter, but that did make me chuckle.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
N.E. Brigand wrote:The Wall Street Journal says that Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu met earlier today with Saudi crown prince and bone saw enthusiast Mohammed bin Salman ...
heh.

One wonders what they are up to. Such a trustworthy bunch (not).
_________

I wasn't sure where to put this. While QAnon has been a particular problem in the US, it's part of a growing propaganda/media problem. From the CuriouserInstitute. A Game Designer’s Analysis Of QAnon.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

RoseMorninStar wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
heh.
One wonders what they are up to. Such a trustworthy bunch (not).
One wonders whether today's news out of Iran is connected.