The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: The Russia Investigations

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I agree that McMasters, Kelly, & Sessions are not long for this administration. I'm certainly no fan of Sessions, but would he put his racist hate before the security of the nation? I read this morning about an ICE official quitting because he was asked to lie for the administration and he refused to do so. I have hopes that Sessions, Rosenstein, and Francisco have some sort of check/balances plan for Mueller/the good of our nation.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I don't think there is much that they can do, I'm sorry to say. If Trump fires Sessions and replaces him with someone more compliant (and he or she is confirmed by the Senate) that person can get rid of Mueller. Or just ignore any recommendations that Mueller makes, and even refuse to make them public. Remember, Mueller can't do anything with the approval of the attorney general (or in the current case, the deputy attorney general since Sessions has recused himself for the purposes of the Russia investigation).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That really doesn't make me feel well. What happened to our system of checks & balances?
Voronwë the Faithful

It is congress's job to be a check on the executive branch. It is Congress that is failing

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hey, maybe they're trying to prove the need for a well regulated militia. Sorry, that's pretty black humour for this hour of the morning.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

I split off the posts about the PA special election into a new thread on the 2018 U.S. congressional elections because they didn't really have anything to do with the Russia investigation and it will be good to have some place to discuss the mid-terms. I left Al's post behind because I didn't understand what he was referring to and I didn't know where it belonged.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: I left Al's post behind because I didn't understand what he was referring to and I didn't know where it belonged.
He’s referring to your comment about the congress failing...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I believe Al's post refers to your post just above ... Congress, by failing to execute their duty to be a check on the executive branch, is effectively arguing that a well-organized militia may be needed to pry them out and replace them with a Congress that would do its duty. And the irony is that the GOP, by supporting one of their positions ( more gunz for everyone because profit for gun companies, use 2nd Amendment to argue for it ) is effectively undermining another ( do whatever Trump wants so we can keep our orange rubber stamp )

What I don't understand is that Pence would most likely be every bit the rubber stamp Trump is, but with much less of the inexcusable disregard for the structures of government. Maybe they think Trump's support amongst Republican voters outweighs Pence's, which is a bit grim to contemplate.

ETA: What Inanna said. I'm just more verbose :D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Griffon64 wrote: ETA: What Inanna said. I'm just more verbose :D
But you also actually said more. :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Alatar wrote:Hey, maybe they're trying to prove the need for a well regulated militia. Sorry, that's pretty black humour for this hour of the morning.
Heh. ;) I got it right away. :o

That the House closed their 'investigation' and seemed to fail their duty had me a bit shook. While this article from Lawfare is a bit dated (Jan. 1, 2018), it helped me understand the process and that killing the investigation wouldn't be so easily done.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

Inanna wrote:He’s referring to your comment about the congress failing...
Yes, I know. I was trying to pretend not to.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Inanna wrote:He’s referring to your comment about the congress failing...
Yes, I know. I was trying to pretend not to.
Oh. Sorry. The rest of us didn’t let you, did we. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Mueller Subpoenas Trump Organization, Demanding Documents About Russia

It may be recalled that it was reported last year that Trump said that he would consider it a "red line" if Mueller started going after his financial records. Will this be enough to push Trump to try to end the investigation?

Stay tuned!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The WH said the subpoena was issued 'several weeks ago' and was 'old news'. Some guess the subpoenas were issued on Feb. 27, a day when Trump tweeted 'WITCH HUNT' with no explanation. If this is true, nothing has been done yet. Incidentally, this is the same day Sessions, Rosenstein, and Francisco ate at Central Michel Richard, a notable restaurant where people go to be 'seen' almost across the street from the Trump International Hotel and several blocks down Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House.
Voronwë the Faithful

Now that McCabe has been disgracefully fired the day before his retirement he has finally spoken out and among other things has confirmed that the ridiculous Nines memo completely mischaracterized his testimony about the Steele dossier and whether it was the basis for the investigation.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... s-memo?amp

Voronwë the Faithful

Now that McCabe has been disgracefully fired the day before his retirement he has finally spoken out and among other things has confirmed that the ridiculous Nines memo completely mischaracterized his testimony about the Steele dossier and whether it was the basis for the investigation.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... s-memo?amp

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Firing McCabe in this way was so petty and stupid. I do hope it comes back to bite them in a serious way.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

This is potentially very significant, even though it has gotten scant attention, and may explain why Mueller subpoenaed the Trump Organization.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/felix-s ... ank-2018-3

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Primula Baggins wrote:Firing McCabe in this way was so petty and stupid. I do hope it comes back to bite them in a serious way.
A blatant attempt to discredit a witness.

I can only repeat - Trump is a problem, but the GOP Congress is *the* problem.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:This is potentially very significant....
Is that still a thing?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists