The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Russia Investigations

Post by Inanna »

Overheard by German reporter? Or overheard a German reporter?

(Sorry-sorry! Not the point, I know. But it’s driving me nuts).
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm pretty sure that it means that the German reporter was overheard saying that, even though the grammar is off.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Among all the things I hope I'm wrong about, it's gratifying to be right about which part of that quote the hallofirians would focus on.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:oops:
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

This tweet is a good summary of why the raids on Cohen are a BFD:

Josh Campbell, a former FBI special agent and now a CNN contributor, tweeted thison Monday night from one of his former colleagues: "I've been an FBI special agent for 20 years and have only seen a handful of searches executed on attorneys. All of those attorneys went to prison."

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I get the impression (as I believe many do) that Cohen wasn't so much an attorney in the traditional sense, but a 'fixer'.. someone who knows enough that they can hide shady/illegal deals. Hide income. Cheat on taxes. An enforcer. A thug. Part of the intimidation/strong arm for (basically) a mob boss.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:This tweet is a good summary of why the raids on Cohen are a BFD...
It feels like you say this every other day these days but somehow nothing seems like an actual big deal anymore. :(
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

So, what is up with Nunes? His behavior is just so.. odd. Anyone have any clues what he's up to?
Voronwë the Faithful

I hear you, yov, but I still try to look at things from a broader perspective. These things may not be surprising in the age of Trump, but they are shocking when considered in a normal universe.

ETA: Rose, are you referring to his (completely unhinged) threat to impeach Rosenstein and FBI director Christopher Wray? If we are really lucky, the Democratic wave will be sufficient to wash him away (unlikely but not impossible). He is almost as scary as Trump himself.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: ETA: Rose, are you referring to his (completely unhinged) threat to impeach Rosenstein and FBI director Christopher Wray? If we are really lucky, the Democratic wave will be sufficient to wash him away (unlikely but not impossible). He is almost as scary as Trump himself.
Yes. His behavior is over-the-top paranoid. Like someone who is afraid they will be exposed or implicated. Isn't he supposed to be recused? I think his behavior appears guilty and strange as all heck. It seems he runs to the WH with any tidbit he gleans from proceedings, which isn't the way I think things are supposed to work. Perhaps he is one of the 'Deep State' conspiracy theorists. In my opinion, what some call the 'Deep State' is another way of saying 'rule of law' or 'checks and balances'.
Voronwë the Faithful

Hard to imagine Cohen flipping on Trump, but some of the quotes in this article are intriguing.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.nymag.co ... trump.html

If Cohen did turn on Trump, he is going down.

ETA: Meanwhile, multiple outlets are reporting that one of the things the agents were looking for is any information about the Access Hollywood tape.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/11/politics ... index.html

Hmmm?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I guess Stormy's lawyer was going to release an artists rendering of the man who threatened her & her daughter, but it appears that may not be released now because it appears they may have identified the person & will not be releasing it because he will now be part of the investigation.

I am guessing the reason the Access Hollywood tapes is important is that there is presumably a link between that and the release of the Wikileaks diversion, things done shortly before the election to affect the outcome.
Voronwë the Faithful

RoseMorninStar wrote:I am guessing the reason the Access Hollywood tapes is important is that there is presumably a link between that and the release of the Wikileaks diversion, things done shortly before the election to affect the outcome.
Maybe, but I suspect if it were that closely connected to the Russia investigation Mueller's team would have done it themselves. I suspect it is more likely to be related to efforts by Cohen to keep the tape buried. But who knows? Perhaps we will learn at some point.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I had heard today that perhaps if they find what they suspect, it could come back to Mueller. Or perhaps it's reassurance that investigations will go forward in an area Trump does not have control over.

And now it seems Bannon is back in the mix.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I've seen speculation that the Trump - Cohen emails were searched for the evidence of encouraging the WikiLeaks, which was within half an hour of the Hollywood tape thing.

Bannon, as always, is trying to create maximum chaos.

My guess is that Trump will do what he can to get rid of Mueller, hoping that the GOP Congress will let it slide, because it's less risky for him than letting the investigation continue on its course.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah, maximum chaos.

What Mueller appears to be doing is shoring up his bets. It seems the tentacles on this case are massive. Mueller seems to be shoring up his case in tidy little packages. Should he be fired/the investigation stopped at the Federal level, it will continue at the State level. Should his case continue, perhaps he can use the state filings as leverage against the likes of Cohen.
Voronwë the Faithful

Hmmmm?

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... hite-house
President Trump met with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein on Thursday amid speculation his job could be in jeopardy. The White House said the meeting was arranged to discuss “routine [Justice] Department business.”
Who ever heard of the president meeting with the Deputy Attorney General to discuss routine Justice Department business?

Hmmmm?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow. Trump met with someone in person? He didn't just issue a public decree, I mean, Tweet? The breakdown and denigration of our nations law enforcement/justice departments is extremely upsetting and worrying. Governance via early morning Toilet Tweets is a disgrace. Name calling and lack of decorum, the lack of a spine in Congress. The 'GOP' is attacking Comey. The GOP is no more, there are Trumpers and there are those who still consider themselves Republicans. They will leave or be forced out.

Checks & balances? The rule of law? Who/what will put an end to the madness?
Voronwë the Faithful

I will!

Well, probably not, but it sounded good!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

One would think that all but the most hardcore delusional would see that the wheels have come off the bus. This man (Trump) is not fit to lead a clown brigade.