The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Re: The Russia Investigations

Post by River »

I can't decide if this belongs here or the WTF thread. If someone with teh powers decides to move it, feel free.

From Buzzfeed (FWIW): Felix Sater is a FBI asset. Yes. The Felix Sater who is connected with Trump. The Felix Sater whose name comes up in the Russia investigation. He did a deal with the FBI to escape jail back in the late 90's and has been chasing the thrill of being an intelligence asset ever since.

One day, this will be a movie with a nice clean narrative and I'll be telling my children the reality was even more insane.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I feel that it's going to be an HBO series. If we all survive.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Mueller, from what I've heard/read, strikes me as a meticulous and thorough investigator with a sharp mind. Trump (and Co.) are the opposite. While there is something to be said for bringing a fresh perspective to an organization, it should not be coupled with carelessness, impulsivity, inattentiveness, or unprofessional/unqualified people. Nor should it take pride in intentional ignorance/refusal to read or listen to those who are qualified/expert in a field. The scope of Trump's thinking doesn't seem to go far beyond what he learned in reality TV. Those he surrounds himself with are (as Trump likes to say) 'like someone out of central casting'. His focus is often superficial.

River :shock: I'm going to have to digest that article and other things I've read about Felix Sater. I believe he & Trump have known one another for a very long time. Interesting.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

River wrote:I can't decide if this belongs here or the WTF thread. If someone with teh powers decides to move it, feel free.
I think it probably could have gone in either thread, but if I were posting it I would have posted it here, so I'll certainly leave it here.

Every day I find myself asking: how did it come to this?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's not clear if the attempted assassination of Scripal is at all related to the Trump probe, but since Russia is involved, I'll put it here. It's not getting much attention in the US media but the implications are terrifying.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/sta ... 5823974400
Russia deployed a military grade nerve agent in a city of 40,000 people. Chemical warfare experts were sent to the scene and hundreds of people may have been poisoned. In England. In 2018.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

For what it's worth, I've read quite a bit about the attack in England. I had the impression experts from the UK were waiting for more information before confirming suspicions that Russia was behind the attack. I am guessing this is confirmation (as much as they can) that it was, indeed, Russia?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yes, here's May making a statement.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/973246358298791938

Voronwë the Faithful

Well, I guess this decides it!

House Republicans say no evidence of collusion as they end Russia probe

Might as well tell Mueller to close up shop!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

So not only do they say that there was no collusion, they also say there is no evidence that the Russians tried to influence the election in Trump's favor.

The mind boggles.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

OK.. so, what are we seeing and am I reading things right? A break-up of the European Union (as Putin wanted) Deep division and chaos in the US (as Putin wanted) with a President who has nothing but wonderful things to say about Putin/Russia and refuses to impose sanctions or cross Russia in any way (which, 20/20 hindsight was obvious even during his campaign). The state department will not utilize ANY of the money set aside to counteract known cyber attacks & propaganda even though Tillerson has acknowledged the attack/meddling he refuses to act to secure our nation and provide fair elections. Our own (Republican) representatives refuse to acknowledge what 17 of our own security agencies have confirmed - that we were indeed attacked/targeted. Our president denigrates and trashes our own people and praises the likes of Duterte of the Philipines. He says white supremacists are 'good people'. A (Russian) chemical attack on UK soil, an ally of ours.. and Trump says nothing. Putin would like to see NATO break up. What happens if we do not stand by our allies? I am no political wonk, but I find it deeply concerning.

If Putin continues his aggressive actions without check, are Trump (and the Republicans) leaning toward setting us up as Allies of Russia/Philipines/possibly North Korea? Could it go that far? I had read that Russia was ignoring/getting around sanctions against North Korea. Will there be some check on this? I don't understand how people who are supposed to be elected representatives - patriots - can so readily bow down (bow out?) to these hostile foreign machinations. I can see what Trump/Kushner may have to hide, but what is up with everyone else? Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain. The mind boggles indeed.

Is anyone planning on reading the book 'Russian Roulette' by David Corn and Michael Isikoff?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I’m considering it. They had an interesting interview with Rachel Maddow tonight.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Is this being discussed much in the US? I know this is the New York Times, but I'm not hearing much buzz on this, considering the fact that a Russian double agent was attacked with a nerve agent on UK soil?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/12/worl ... oning.html
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes it is being discussed in this very thread! As for how much it is being discussed here in the U.S., I would certainly say it has been a story, but buried somewhat amongst the chaos.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile in Russia, it's going approximately like this

https://twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/sta ... 6092854273
Russia's official statements VS state TV in the past week:

Foreign Ministry's spokeswoman: It wasn't us.
State TV anchor: BUT THEY TOTALLY DESERVED IT!!!
FM spox: It's a baseless accusation.
State TV: DIE TRAITORS DIE!!!
FM spox: Stop blaming Russia.
State TV: BRING IT ON!!!!!!!
Kovalev runs a very cool blog https://noodleremover.news/ debunking Russian state propaganda machine. It's in Russian, but I guess Chrome can translate.

Voronwë the Faithful

One GOP congressman on the House Intelligence Committee recognizes just how ridiculous they are being.

"We've gone completely off the rails, and now we're just basically a political forum for people to leak information to drive the day's news. ... We've lost all credibility" - Rep. Tom Rooney on the Republican decision to end the House Russia investigation

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/973348375092518912

Meanwhile, more reports are coming out about Roger Stone's contacts with WikiLeaks.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/13/politics ... index.html

I think he is going down. And who else was in contact with WikiLeaks? Donald Trump, Jr.

x-posted with Frelga.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Prim, I watched Rachel Maddow last night.

I'm not sure if it was on her show or somewhere else where they showed that clip of Trump in Las Vegas (Oct 30 2016) answering the question from a red-haired Russian 'journalist'.. even Bannon found it odd that Trump picked her out of the large audience to ask a question (her question was about sanctions) something the Trump team had not discussed among themselves, and Bannon thought it was strange that Trump had a ready reply. Coincidentally/not coincidentally, oligarch Rybolovlev's plane just happened to coincide with Trump's plane several times. Rybolovlev's plane taxied into Sheldon Adelson's Las Vegas* hangar (and just happened to coincide with the Trump plane twice at a small airport in Charlotte). All short 1-2 hour stopovers.

Rybolovlev is the guy who bought that mansion from Trump in Florida, sight unseen, and claims to have not met Trump. They just 'happen' to bump into one another like to planes in the night.

* edited to add Las Vegas
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

The Russia Investigations

Post by Primula Baggins »

Worse and worse. I’m starting to wonder if Mueller won’t end up with a case for treason charges, possibly including Trump.

I don’t see him going that far, if less shocking charges could put an end to the danger. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up with sufficient evidence. Which might be enough to make Trump (at least) resign.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I think Mueller might be gone long before then.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I am not ordinarily an anxious person, but I'm in a state of anxiety. To put it mildly.

I have no faith that Trump has the good of our nation and it's citizens in his intent, but what is up with our Republican/other elected officials? Where are our checks & balances?
Voronwë the Faithful

Me too. I think the Tillerson firing is the first step of Trump-unleashed, and that McMasters, Kelly, Sessions (good riddance for the most part), and Rosenstein will all follow, clearing the decks so that Trump can also get rid of Mueller. And after the whitewash of the House Intelligence committee, does anyone really think that the GOP congress is going to stop him?

ETA: And who knows whether we will even have real mid-term elections this year. The Russians might completely control the balloting for all the administration has done to stop them (stop them? I bet they have been actively helping them!).