The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's huge. It's at least a foot tall, and probably 14 or 15 inches.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

All this talk about moose and squirrel got me thinking about the Hobbit movies, and Thranduil riding a giant moose. And now I really wish they had Dain Ironfoot ride in on a giant squirrel instead of the boar. Wouldn't it be poetic?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

An interesting piece at the National Review by conservative and libertarian David French, acknowledging that Schiff's memo undermines GOP claims of FISA abuse, contradicting a piece written the previous day by his colleague Andrew McCarthy (who Faramond has cited here before, and whose writings I find brilliant was extremely slanted).

The Schiff Memo Undermines Republican Claims of FISA Abuse
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Maureen Dowd had a brilliantly cheeky piece in response to Trump's (anti-immigrant) speech given at CPAC.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/9 ... 6774840320

Special counsel's office has moved to dismiss charges against Rick Gates in Virginia, per terms of plea agreement in DC: https://t.co/HMNSZMbDfw Previously: https://t.co/Avh4WpyWw5 https://t.co/MCGpZhQ6rn

Thanks to V, I know what "without prejudice" means. It means the same charges can be brought back, right?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Correct. So, for instance, if they catch Gates lying to them again they probably could refile the charges against him.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status ... 2881055744
TODAY'S TRUMP-RUSSIA UPDATE

* Stone lied to Congress about WikiLeaks
* Kushner lied to Executive Branch about Russia contacts
* Hicks lied about basis for refusing to answer HPSCI questions
* Trump lied about Democratic Memo
* Sessions lied about his recusal from election cases
Oh, and also
WaPo wrote:Clarification: A self-described sex expert says she will spill information on Trump and Russia to get out of a Thai jail https://t.co/grV3Zx2bpe

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

My head spins.

Also: testimony today from our US Cybersecurity chief that he has not been given the authority/orders to do anything about the Russian cyber threat. Russia is still a threat to our nation and free and fair elections. I'm thinking.. either this is dereliction of duty, failure to execute his oath of office, or aiding & abetting an enemy while we are under attack. Maybe all three.
Voronwë the Faithful

Also potentially significant (or potentially just checking things out), Mueller's team has been asking witnesses about Trump's dealing in Russia before the election.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/27/politics ... index.html
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Obi-wan Mueller, you're our only hope. :leia:
Voronwë the Faithful

Manafort's trial has been set for September 17, 2018, just about six weeks before the midterm elections. It will be very interesting to see if he caves before then and agrees to cooperate with the investigation in exchange for a greatly reduced potential sentence.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... or-sept-17
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Gary Kasparov, 13th World Chess Champion: "Trump had better acknowledge Russian interference now, because we're close to the point where Putin will boast about it."

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And if he does, nothing will happen. He's done it before, and nothing did.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:Gary Kasparov, 13th World Chess Champion:
And political activist and longtime critic of Putin (and more recently of Trump as well). I know you know this, but not everyone necessarily does.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Frelga wrote:Gary Kasparov, 13th World Chess Champion:
And political activist and longtime critic of Putin (and more recently of Trump as well). I know you know this, but not everyone necessarily does.
Indeed. Thanks, V.

Voronwë the Faithful

Well this is quite interesting. There has been story going around the internet (which originally started at the site Axios) about a subpoena to an unnamed witness calling for all communications from Trump and a host of others who were part of the Trump campaign beginning back in 2015. It turns out that apparently the subpoena was to a Sam Nunberg, who was a campaign aide until he was fired for being even too racist for the Trump campaign (or at least too blatantly racist, as he was caught making racist posts on Facebook). However, Nunberg is refusing the subpoena, and essentially daring Mueller to throw him in jail. I hope Mueller takes him up on it.

Former Trump aide refusing Mueller subpoena: 'Screw that'
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If we all survive, Oscars 2025 will be amazing!

Eta: here's the Twitter thread with the transcript of the interview. https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/970755923894513665

Eta 2: "And we talk about how we hate people." They hates them? Which people, precious?

I wonder if this change of heart is in any way connected to this development Man left critically ill in Wiltshire after exposure to unknown substance 'is former Russian spy'

Voronwë the Faithful

That's the MSNBC interview with Katie Tur. The one I referred to was with Jake Tapper at CNN. It is debatable which was more entertaining and remarkable and terrifying.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I think Sam Nunberg has.. 'issues'. Maybe stress, anxiety, or anti-depressants? I believe late in the evening he said he would cooperate.

Here's is a fascinating article from the New Yorker. Christopher Steele, the Man behind the Trump Dossier.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It went from a comedy to something really unsettling. It's not funny, watching someone fall apart in public like that.