The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Russia Investigations and other Trump-related cases

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

40 months in prison for Roger Stone, which is about what I expected the judge to do.

It's been six minutes already, and Trump still hasn't tweeted about it!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Maybe he's having a nap or something.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

These are some pretty extraordinary statements made by quite a conservative judge, who was nominated to his position by George W. Bush.

Federal judge blasts William Barr for Mueller report rollout, asks if it was meant to help Trump
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Why would this be coming up now almost 2 years later?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Uh... 1 year.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

It's coming up now because of a FOIA law suit seeking release of the unredacted -- or at least less redacted -- version of the report. Lawsuits take time.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

elengil wrote:Uh... 1 year.
That's what I thought but the article said "when the report was finally released in May of 2018" so....?
-The Decemberists

elengil

Post by elengil »

yovargas wrote:
elengil wrote:Uh... 1 year.
That's what I thought but the article said "when the report was finally released in May of 2018" so....?
LOL that's a neat trick, since the report itself is dated March 2019 :rofl:
https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2019/images/04/ ... chable.pdf
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
elengil

Post by elengil »

Appeals court rules DOJ must give sealed Mueller materials to Congress

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... terials-to

Waiting for this to go to the Supreme Court.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Barr strikes again. The Justice Department no longer exists as functioning entity separate from the White House.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/07/politics ... index.html
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's nice to have (corrupt) friends in high places....
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Speaking of corruption or just plain 'laws are for regular folk': https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Judge Emmet Sullivan, the fiery judge overseeing the Flynn case, is not just granting the request to dismiss the case. Instead, he has appointed a retired judge as a "friend of the court" to "present arguments in opposition to the government’s Motion to Dismiss," and (stunningly) to "address whether the Court should issue an Order to Show Cause why Mr. Flynn should not be held in criminal contempt for perjury."

I bet Mr. Trump and Mr. Barr aren't very happy with Judge Sullivan.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure this was not the answer these Fox hosts were expecting to get from their guest, attorney Bradley Moss.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Competence? Like, if you have no idea how a job is supposed to be done, maybe it looks weird when you see it done right?

Meanwhile, despite howls and screams about Deep States and spying and so on, Congress has once again utterly failed to reform FISA. Makes me wonder if the issue people claim to have with FISA isn't that FISA exists, it's that it got applied to shady people in the orbit of powerful people and that makes powerful people nervous.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

AHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl: "Well, we're going to have to leave it there.." AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Yeah, competence and a logical answer is tough.
elengil

Post by elengil »

River wrote: Makes me wonder if the issue people claim to have with FISA isn't that FISA exists, it's that it got applied to shady people in the orbit of powerful people and that makes powerful people nervous.

^^^ Yes, it's - we want it around for when *we* want to use it against others, but let's not go letting others use it against us.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

Trump has commuted Stone's sentence before he reports to prison.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Barr has replaced the US Attorney of the EDNY.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Wonder why he got so keen on shuffling the DAs in SDNY and EDNY around. In the case of SDNY, his interest was so intense he couldn't even be arsed with official and legal channels.
elengil

Post by elengil »

River wrote:Wonder why he got so keen on shuffling the DAs in SDNY and EDNY around. In the case of SDNY, his interest was so intense he couldn't even be arsed with official and legal channels.
Jurisdictions that could investigate Trump
was a 2020 planner.