Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:Headline today:
Teacher 'habitually' takes a knee during Pledge of Allegiance. It doesn't go unnoticed: Teachers aren't 'paid to indoctrinate our students'
The irony of decrying indoctrination during an overt act of state-enforced indoctrination...
Ironic indeed.

elengil wrote:And in a chilling article:
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/15/77024971 ... -and-trump

What else aren't we being told because it might damage a powerful person? I'm really, really, really freakin tired of the rich and/or powerful being propped up above the law.

And once again I wonder where we are with exposing and prosecuting those involved with Epstein. Nobody is a solo sex-trafficker.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/busi ... state.html

This has been my WTF browse through the news today. And it's only 10am
Unfortunately, the rich and powerful have far too often circumvented the law and consequences of their crimes throughout history. It is no wonder the poor and weak cling/clung to the idea of a divine being who sees all and will judge all from a purely moral perspective. It also explains why so many had a problem with the selling of 'indulgences' as if the church/priests could 'grease the palm' of God for entry into heaven. What a mixed up world of manipulation!
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Grieving Parents ‘Ambushed’ by Trump Who Was Hiding Spy Wife That Killed Their Child at the White House
The Dunn family, now in the United States to drum up support to send Sacoolas back to the U.K. to face justice, had accepted an “urgent” invitation by the White House from National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien, to visit Donald Trump in Washington, D.C. Trump, it seems, thought he could convince the Dunns to meet the woman who killed their son, and would do so by opening a side door through which she would walk. The whole scene would be captured by a pool of photographers who had been summoned for the meeting.
The Dunns, understandably, refused to meet her until she comes to the UK and they are accompanied by their counselors and lawyers.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

But I bet the ratings would be phenomenal. (/sarcasm)
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:doh:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

RoseMorninStar wrote:But I bet the ratings would be phenomenal. (/sarcasm)
Of course. No doubt that was the whole point! :nono:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Aaaaaand... I bet he'll invite Vlad. I bet the ratings will be phenomenal. (/sarcasm.. maybe not so much)

I wonder what happens if Trump is impeached/removed from office?
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Does the guy want to be impeached? It sort of seems like he wants to be impeached.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:Does the guy want to be impeached? It sort of seems like he wants to be impeached.
Trump has said that he believes impeachment will rally his 'base' and bring about civil war. I'm not quite sure how a call to arms against fellow American citizens is 'Making America Great Again' but.. we are talking about what's going on in Trump's head.. and I don't wanna go there.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Notice how hard Pence is trying to keep himself distanced from any shenanigans. He's like all three "no evil" monkeys at once.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So apparently the Trump Administration is building a border wall in Colorado. I'm not sure which border this wall is going to appear on. The Californians come in from the west and the Texans either transit through New Mexico or Oklahoma and Kansas. I can't decide who drives worse.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The man has absolutely no attention for detail. Nor do I believe he cares. He is a danger to us all.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, he said we are not building a wall in Kansas, so that's out.

I did wonder if this was a tongue-in-cheek exaggeration, but nope. Direct quote.

And I always forget how rectangular Colorado is.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'm not sure I'd call New Mexico a detail...

We make up for the shape by being very lumpy and bumpy on the inside. :P

ETA: So his statement about building a wall that works in Colorado drew lots of applause in Pennsylvania. This just leaves me with so many questions. Were people just not paying attention? Do they simply hold him to an incredibly low standard? Or do they think Colorado's on the US-Mexico border? I mean, I know Trump's schtick is calibrated towards people who don't know much about whatever topic he's sounding off on at the moment, but this is some really basic US geography. Like elementary school basic. How does anyone applaud this??
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil

Post by elengil »

In other news, apparently we've ceded New Mexico to Mexico. Or maybe just kicked it out, he wasn't clear.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/23/politics ... index.html

The new US map, complete with official sharpie-drawn borders
EHl89QLW4AAzFZo.jpg
EHl89QLW4AAzFZo.jpg (189.18 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

He's always "kidding" when he's being called out for mis-speaking, being wrong, or being more horrible than he can justify. Instead of just saying "I misspoke" he insists he was "kidding". Nope, he was wrong. Whether he was wrong because he really has no idea what he's ever saying or he really did just misspeak, that's the only real question for me.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:doh:

And for those who clapped and cheered: :salmon:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Well, if this doesn't qualify as WTF, I don't know where else to put it! :scratch: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.amazon.ca/Beautiful-Poetry- ... 058&sr=8-1
Attachments
51323y9cPBL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51323y9cPBL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (36.55 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil

Post by elengil »

I like the "strictly unauthorized" tag...

The morbid curiosity is almost enough. Almost. But not quite...
was a 2020 planner.