Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Sunsilver »

Some people have commented how guns are linked to masculinity, and like fast cars are 'penis extensions'.

Well, leave it to Clint Eastwood to confirm that:

Thank you, Clint! Toxic masculinity at its finest!
Attachments
Eastwood on banning guns.jpg
Eastwood on banning guns.jpg (61.02 KiB) Viewed 11355 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Bizarre legal brawl intensifies at Trump hotel in Panama
The investigation stems from a complaint filed last week by a lawyer for Orestes Fintiklis, a Miami-based businessman who owns 202 of the hotel’s 369 units. Since last fall, Fintiklis has been trying to rebrand the hotel and kick out the Trump Organization — blaming it, and Trump’s damaged brand, for declining revenue.

Before last week, it appeared that this fight would play out in courts and in arbitration.

But on Thursday, Fintiklis showed up, seeking to take control of the hotel. He was shut out. Fintiklis then filed a court complaint, saying that Trump’s employees had unlawfully denied him access to his own hotel with “intimidation and threats.”
When they make the movie, Fintiklis will be played by Adam Sandler.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I had heard some bizarre things about this.. such as shredders could be heard as the Trump employees locked themselves in the control room with armed guards. It seems as if part of the building is condos (owned by Fintkilis), and part is a hotel managed by the Trump organization. I'm not sure who owns that part. The owners have taken control of some of the bank accounts. Panama government steps in.. There have been articles about money laundering at that property by the Trump organization. Do a search for Panama - Trump - money laundering. There's a ton of articles. Here's one from Reuters.. and.. oh! surprise! Russians are involved.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Trump on the Parkland shooting: "I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon." https://t.co/pu3fAOm3Kp
Really? Cause here he is running the other way.

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/05/poli ... index.html
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

That was the first thing that sprang to my mind when I read about his comment ...
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump, famously, has a problem with blood of any sort (recall crude Meghan Kelly remarks.)

From an earlier Howard Stern interview:
"So what happens is, this guy falls off right on his face, hits his head, and I thought he died. And you know what I did? I said, ‘Oh my God, that’s disgusting,’ and I turned away,” said Trump. “I couldn’t, you know, he was right in front of me and I turned away. I didn’t want to touch him… he’s bleeding all over the place, I felt terrible. You know, beautiful marble floor, didn’t look like it. It changed color. Became very red. And you have this poor guy, 80 years old, laying on the floor unconscious, and all the rich people are turning away. ‘Oh my God! This is terrible! This is disgusting!’ and you know, they’re turning away. Nobody wants to help the guy. His wife is screaming—she’s sitting right next to him, and she’s screaming.”

Thank God for the Marines. “What happens is, these 10 Marines from the back of the room… they come running forward, they grab him, they put the blood all over the place—it’s all over their uniforms—they’re taking it, they’re swiping [it], they ran him out, they created a stretcher. They call it a human stretcher, where they put their arms out with, like, five guys on each side,” shared Trump.

“I was saying, ‘Get that blood cleaned up! It’s disgusting!’ The next day, I forgot to call [the man] to say he’s OK,” said Trump, adding of the blood, “It’s just not my thing.”
And we are to believe he would have run toward gunshots? That he thinks anyone believes this definitely borders on delusion if not squarely in the center of delusion.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

But that was before he was presidential. Now that he is presidential of course he would run in and safe the day!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

V - :D of course! How could we all be so silly.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... agle-video

I forgot about that eagle episode. Of course, this was pre-presidential Mr. Trump as well.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:But that was before he was presidential. Now that he is presidential of course he would run in and safe the day!
As if we could believe he would be effective in doing anything to safeguard anything or anyone other than his own skin. He has not made ANY effort to act on the very real Russian cyber attack which continues, to the dismay of our Cybersecurity experts. Trump has been even less than non-effectual, he has been aiding and abetting the continued attack by his sheer inaction; refusing to sign sanctions against Russia which Congress overwhelmingly voted for, for starters. Giving no orders to secure our voting systems for our next election. It is frightening.
Voronwë the Faithful

Needless to say, I was being tongue in cheek.
He has not made ANY effort to act on the very real Russian cyber attack which continues, to the dismay of our Cybersecurity experts. Trump has been even less than non-effectual, he has been aiding and abetting the continued attack by his sheer inaction; refusing to sign sanctions against Russia which Congress overwhelmingly voted for, for starters. Giving no orders to secure our voting systems for our next election. It is frightening.
Did you see or read about the congressional testimony today in which Admiral Rogers, the head of the NSA, was asked whether he had been given authority to address Russian hacking of our voting systems and he said that he had not? It was extraordinary stuff, and not in a good way.

ETA: I see you posted about this in the Russian investigation thread, so I guess you did see it!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Did you see or read about the congressional testimony today in which Admiral Rogers, the head of the NSA, was asked whether he had been given authority to address Russian hacking of our voting systems and he said that he had not? It was extraordinary stuff, and not in a good way.

ETA: I see you posted about this in the Russian investigation thread, so I guess you did see it!
Yes. I have never had such a sick feeling for my country. I don't understand how people are fine with this and are willing to overlook this for personal gain/their hatred of Obama. The blatant stuff this administration has done/is doing should not be tolerated from ANY administration. The nepotism, the blatant obstruction and misuse of funds.. mind-blowing. :rage: :cry:
Voronwë the Faithful

It was very sad that it was only Democrats that were calling him out about it. This should not be a partisan issue.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

No. It should not be a partisan issue. It should be a patriotic issue. A preservation of country issue. And what is up with Nunes? He always looks like a kid caught with (Both!) hands in the cookie jar. The whole thing reeks.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I am most dismayed by the fact that this is, as RoseMorninStar says, really a matter of country, of self, of freedom, of American autonomy and self-goverance, of patriotism ... basically, everything Americans hold dear - all of it being subverted by nepotism, incompetence, or apparent outright malice - and now suddenly all those good conservative men in Congress are doing nothing.

This is America, dammit. Be proud of your country. Come together to throw out all the foreign meddling into American affairs. It happened. Whether you like it or not, it happened, and apparently it happened because Russia thought that they could play conservatives like fiddles. They weren't scared of a conservative majority and a Republican president. They were scared of a Democratic win. They were scared of Hillary Clinton, not Donald Trump. All their efforts worked against Democrats and for Republicans, and it wasn't because Russia is America's friend.
Voronwë the Faithful

The news that several countries, China, Israel, the UAE and Mexico, have discussed how they can manipulate Kushner because of his inexperience in foreign relations and complex financial dealings really brings that to the forefront. The US is really being put in a compromised position as a result of incompetent leadership, and the Republican party doesn't seem to care.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Errr ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/worsh ... li=BBnbcA1
NEWFOUNDLAND, Pa. — Crown-wearing worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles drank holy wine and exchanged or renewed wedding vows in a commitment ceremony at a Pennsylvania church on Wednesday, prompting a nearby school to cancel classes.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Griffon64 wrote:Errr ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/worsh ... li=BBnbcA1
NEWFOUNDLAND, Pa. — Crown-wearing worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles drank holy wine and exchanged or renewed wedding vows in a commitment ceremony at a Pennsylvania church on Wednesday, prompting a nearby school to cancel classes.

:help: :puke: :puke: :puke:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh good grief. I have said before that the gun thing has been taken to the level of idol worship, but this really takes the cake. It puts a whole new spin on the term 'ammosexual'.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

That's morbid and creepifying, and not in a fun Firefly sort of way. :(
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I do want to point out that this is Rev. Moon's "church" so it's not like we'd expect sanity from them.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!