Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I hope it was clear that I was not meaning this as a serious discussion of Kanye West replacing Clarence Thomas on the court. It was meant as an absurdity (but one not completely outside the realm of possibility in the new reality that we live it).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

You were. I was referring to the retirement rumors as a publicity stunt. Though nominating Kanye for the Supreme Court or any other government post is a dumb enough idea that I'd be shocked if it doesn't start floating out of the White House at some point. Who knows. Maybe it already did come up and we'll find out next time one of Trump's enablers writes a book.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Isn't Kanye a Trump supporter? It wouldn't surprise me if the intent is to split the black and youth vote to throw the election off. It may sound crazy (and what with Trump doesn't sound crazy) but he won a number of close states by just a few thousand votes. It doesn't necessarily take a lot to throw an election and has been mentioned before, Hillary actually won the popular vote and Trump was elected anyway. Kanye wouldn't have to be on the ballot.. there are those out there who might write him in.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

In many states write in votes are not counted if the candidate didn't qualify for the ballot. And if Kanye isn't on the ballots, more people will vote for Mickey Mouse than for him.

Again, people shouldn't be taking this seriously. There are plenty of other things to be concerned about.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:In many states write in votes are not counted if the candidate didn't qualify for the ballot. And if Kanye isn't on the ballots, more people will vote for Mickey Mouse than for him.
I think this is less a problem of people thinking a vote for Kanye would count toward Kanye and more a problem of people whose vote MIGHT have counted for Biden but now won't. You can still split the vote with an nonviable candidate.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

Anyone who doesn't vote for Biden because Kanye West said he was running for president but isn't really, wasn't really going to vote for Biden in the first place.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Anyone who doesn't vote for Biden because Kanye West said he was running for president but isn't really, wasn't really going to vote for Biden in the first place.
You may put more stock in the basic intelligence of US voters than I.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful

I assure you I do not.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Anyone who doesn't vote for Biden because Kanye West said he was running for president but isn't really, wasn't really going to vote for Biden in the first place.
This is what I was guessing the strategy (using the word loosely) might be. I didn't say it was backed up with logic or that it would be a good strategy.. just enough chaos to create chaos and misdirection.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ignore him. That’s what everyone should do.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Inanna wrote:Ignore him. That’s what everyone should do.
Well, certainly, but it's not you or I (or anyone else on this board) that I think we need to be concerned about.
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

My Glen Moray is running out and so are my Foxtrots to give.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins
Voronwë the Faithful

For those who were worried about Kanye West running for president.

Kanye West Is Reportedly No Longer Running For President In 2020
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Oh, good! I can stop sweating it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

WTAF?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/202 ... d-19-data/
A new directive from the Trump administration has cut the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention out of the loop for data from hospitals treating patients with COVID-19, a move which could have significant effects on what information about the pandemic is made public and how it is presented and used.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

If no one looks it's not there.

This logic only works on infants. Really young infants. Once object permanence grows in, the statement above is laughable.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

River wrote:If no one looks it's not there.

This logic only works on infants. Really young infants. Once object permanence grows in, the statement above is laughable.
Unfortunately this isn't true. It SHOULD be true, but I had a distanced conversation with the neighbor the other day (before this measure took place) who is convinced that 'they' (the CDC, Fauci, etc.. ) were lying about COVID. I didn't bother to ask why. Presumably to 'hurt' Trump. The whole world must be in on it. The mental gymnastics people are going to to support this incompetent, inept, blathering imbecile is incredible. She was hoping to get COVID before the summer was over in order to 'get it over with'. She's a teacher.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

In the continuing saga of sheer pettiness and mean-spiritedness, Trump has refused to unveil Obama's Presidential portrait and has had President Clinton and GW Bush's portraits removed to a little used dining room (currently used for storage). They have been replaced with Teddy Roosevelt and William McKinley.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I KNOW this is stupid and doesn't make sense/can't get on the ballot/blah, blah, blah.. but this article articulates why this foolishness matters. ‘I do not want to take Kanye West seriously. But I know that we have to.’

He says he is no longer running, but he held a campaign rally Sunday July 19 in which he said Harriet Tubman never freed slaves.

At whose (potential) peril should this foolishness be ignored? Whether he can legally run for president or is a viable candidate is not the issue. The issue is: what the hell is he up to and how will it affect the election? It doesn't necessarily take huge numbers to tilt an election or to get people to throw up their hands in disgust and not show up at the polls or vote 3rd party/write-in to 'send a message'.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The only attention Kanye deserves right now is the professional kind.