Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/ericuman/status/987447673417584641
Awesome story we flagged on the podcast:

Michael Cohen was once a "middleman" for a $300k personal loan. Cohen was supposed to hand over the money, but it went...missing.

What happened to the money? Cohen said he couldn't remember.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Another explanation Cohen offered for how a *$350k* loan he was the middleman for went missing: Y2K.

“Let's also not forget that you also had Y2k issues and the changing of the platform,” he said in a deposition.

The check was dated Jan. 1999.
The story itself is even weirder than the quote suggests.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/anthon ... accused-of
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:pancake:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

IMG_20180420_190022.jpg
IMG_20180420_190022.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 6146 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Curiouser and curiouser. It's like watching The Sopranos.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am going to put this here for now, although it may belong in the investigation thread, given that Hannity mentioned that the absolutely negligible, free advice that caused Cohen to name him as a client for some odd reason concerned real estate.

Sean Hannity linked to shell companies that spent $90M on property: report
For some of the mortgages, Hannity reportedly obtained funding from HUD under the National Housing Act loan program, which was first guaranteed under President Obama’s administration.

Secretary Ben Carson's Department recently increased Hannity’s original $17.9 million mortgage for purchases in Georgia by an additional $5 million, records obtained by the Guardian show. 
Hannity did not disclose his cooperation with HUD when he had Carson on his show last June, the Guardian noted.

During that segment, Hannity railed against the state of public housing and praised Carson, telling him, “you’ve done a good job.”

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I want to go throw up.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I still want to know how it went with Cohen. "My clients are the President, the former RNC chairman and donor, and... um... Oh yeah, there's that cheapskate Hannity who keeps trying to bum free advice."

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

A completely innocent coincidence, possibly, but why are these people all dealing with all those crooks?

Hannity-linked shell company bought properties through fraudulent dealer: report
The Hannity-linked company had bought 11 homes in Georgia in 2012 that had initially been bought by the property deal Jeff Brock. He purchased the foreclosed homes before passing them to another corporation, that sold the properties to the shell company at a profit.

Brock pleaded guilty in 2016 to bank fraud and conspiracy for his part in a scheme to rig auctions for foreclosed homes. He was ordered to pay more than $166,000 in fines and restitution and was sentenced six months in prison over the federal charges.

There is no evidence that Hannity knows of Brock’s involvement in the fraud.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I think you need to make the meme you posted upthread about needing a CRIMINAL lawyer a permanent part of this thread Frelga. ;)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Did anyone listen to the whining diatribe on Fox news today? Wow. Talk about not fit to be in the office of President/lack of decorum/professionalism.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't listen to Fox News. I don't need illogical opinions on my life. Reality is sufficiently illogical.

As seen here. Admittedly, it's unsubstantiated gossip.

Michael Cohen once reportedly bragged that he was part of the Russian mob
According to The Journal, Cohen once told someone at a former friend's wedding that he belonged to the Russian mob. The former friend, Gregory Ehrlich, said he does not believe Cohen has any such ties.
That he (supposedly) bragged about it is bad enough, but that it may not even have been true is just so 2018.

The rest of the article is a pretty good recap of Cohen's actual known connections to the Russian regime.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:I don't listen to Fox News. I don't need illogical opinions on my life. Reality is sufficiently illogical.
I don't either and I didn't today. It was replayed (in part) on other news outlets. He was quite unhinged and did not help his case at all. In fact, I think the hosts knew he was doing himself no good & cut him off.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Honestly, I would prefer it if this kind of "somebody somewhere claimed somebody else said or did a thing" type posts were left out of these threads. There's enough solid and confirmed craziness right now that this kind of unsubstantiated gossip feels really unnecessary..
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Well, yov, this isn't some fly-by-night liberal outlet reporting this. This comes from the conservative and highly respected Wall Street Journal, which I think gives if more standing than just "someone said that someone said this." Unfortunately, the Journal report is behind a paywall, but Business Insider is a similar and also reputable, if less well known, outlet.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And it does speak to the madness of the times that while this is unsubstantiated it is by no means unbelievable.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I just think regardless of the credibility of the source, this kind of thing is more distracting than useful in a time when it's hard to keep track of all the major developments constantly happening. But that's just my opinion. And I suppose to some extent the tangential stuff is what this thread is for.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think you're right, and I do think it's good to have a thread for the more trivial horrors of the times.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's one that was easy to choose to put in this thread.

Trump doc says Trump bodyguard, lawyer 'raided' his office, took medical files
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

The doctor shouldn't have been telling anyone anything medical about any of his patients.