Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Eh. Kanye's campaign is insignificant, as election manipulation goes, next to the demolition of USPS that is happening right now.
I agree, but it's evidence of how worried they are and the lengths the GOP is going to to manipulate the election. It's disgusting.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:
Frelga wrote:Eh. Kanye's campaign is insignificant, as election manipulation goes, next to the demolition of USPS that is happening right now.
I agree, but it's evidence of how worried they are and the lengths the GOP is going to to manipulate the election. It's disgusting.
So I read this while I was listening to a quantum theory video and I read "The lengths the GOP is going to manipulate the electron" and I was momentarily so very confused about what new quantum power the GOP had...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:
So I read this while I was listening to a quantum theory video and I read "The lengths the GOP is going to manipulate the electron" and I was momentarily so very confused about what new quantum power the GOP had...
:rofl:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I agree, Frelga. And that demolition is causing a lot of harm beyond the election.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
I agree, Frelga. And that demolition is causing a lot of harm beyond the election.
Add the chaos (for political gain) of what is being done with the census, which will also cause harm well beyond the election.
Voronwë the Faithful

Absolutely.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Herman Cain's Twitter account posted tweets bashing Biden and Harris. Cain died of Covid on July 30, several weeks after attending Trump's rally in Tulsa, which he had lauded for being a mask-free event.

Because 2020, that's why.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well, ain't that special.

Shouldn't that be illegal?
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Well, ain't that special.

Lots of famous dead people have official twitter accounts run by their estate or whatever. I'm not sure how it would be considered illegal. At worst, twitter could suspend the account, I think, but not even sure what rule it would be breaking, the tweet itself would have to be the problem.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Found this very interesting: the doctor who ordered masks to be used in Washington in 1918 bears a striking resemblance to Dr. Fauci!

He also faced exactly the same obstacles, and was fired for his efforts:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/ ... 064850a354
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:

Lots of famous dead people have official twitter accounts run by their estate or whatever. I'm not sure how it would be considered illegal. At worst, twitter could suspend the account, I think, but not even sure what rule it would be breaking, the tweet itself would have to be the problem.
elengil, I am not on twitter, so I'm not sure of the rules, but on Facebook one has to be who they say they are or their account is suspended. I am curious, do the famous dead people on twitter have to be direct quotes from said dead person or someone just winging it on current topics?

Suny.. that is remarkable!
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:
elengil wrote:

elengil, I am not on twitter, so I'm not sure of the rules, but on Facebook one has to be who they say they are or their account is suspended. I am curious, do the famous dead people on twitter have to be direct quotes from said dead person or someone just winging it on current topics?

Suny.. that is remarkable!
Facebook has personality profiles, though. There is still a Terry Pratchett facebook profile that posts various updates or quotes or whatnot regarding his work. And there are 'memorial' profiles that are basically people who have died and their family and friends keep their profile open as a memorial to them. So it may be how the page is set up.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

True, but Pratchett's page is run by his assistant, the same man who ran it when Pterry was alive. Which is stated in the account profile, and the name is @terryandrob.

It now posts news of upcoming books, adaptations, and related products.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

You can stop worrying about Kanye in your state, Rose.

Kanye West misses deadline to appear on Wisconsin ballot in November, elections board rules

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

In 2016 Wisconsin had 35,150 write-in votes. 1.2%. Considering the difference between votes for Trump and votes for Hillary in Wisconsin were only 22,748 I don't know that I feel a great deal of comfort, but it is good to know. Kanye's 'run' obviously is/was not one in good faith and that shouldn't be allowed. It's another way to cheat.. a con. Just like everything else Trump does.

I hope you stay well & safe V.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Rose, that’s insane. Those numbers...
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Those numbers are misleading. The vast majority of those write-in votes were for people who did not register as write-in candidates in Wisconsin and thus were not counted. Of the ones that were for registered write-in candidates almost all of them were for former CIA officer Evan McMullin, who was the late offering by conservative never-Trumpers.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Those numbers are misleading. The vast majority of those write-in votes were for people who did not register as write-in candidates in Wisconsin and thus were not counted. Of the ones that were for registered write-in candidates almost all of them were for former CIA officer Evan McMullin, who was the late offering by conservative never-Trumpers.
I guess that is of some comfort. I was taking my info from a State news article & Ballotopedia & it did not mention that. They didn't mention McMullin at all.
Voronwë the Faithful

Rose, here is a link from the Wisconsin State Journal: https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... f0af0.html

They actually quote an even higher number of total write-in votes than you do: 36,460. But they say about 26,000 are for non registered candidates like Mickey Mouse or Bernie Sanders, and of the remaining 10000 or so, "former CIA officer Evan McMullin received 9,998 votes."

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Rose, here is a link from the Wisconsin State Journal: https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt ... f0af0.html

They actually quote an even higher number of total write-in votes than you do: 36,460. But they say about 26,000 are for non registered candidates like Mickey Mouse or Bernie Sanders, and of the remaining 10000 or so, "former CIA officer Evan McMullin received 9,998 votes."
Thanks!!

Honestly, I'm going to be on pins & needles until after the election. Then I'll either feel completely ill and numb for weeks afterward or I'll begin to breathe a little easier until we see what the Drama Queen pulls out of his.. well.. erm.. tantrum play box to retain power. He will not go with dignity or grace should he lose.

I live in a very 'red' area so I don't see much changing from 2016. I haven't been out of my house/yard in 3 weeks but it might be telling for me to drive around & see how many yard signs (which tend to be right-wing) are up.