Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:bang:

Fits right in with his Senior advisor Stephen Miller.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Today in "are you sure that this story isn't from The Onion?", the president of the United States tweeted to complain that several years ago Canadian broadcasters cut his five second cameo from a 90s comedy film due to time constraints. FOX, of course, sees this as a hateful liberal plot.

Fox News Freaks Out After Canadian TV Deletes President Trump From Home Alone 2
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Oh my ...sensitive, much?? :rofl:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The "**** your feelings, Imma do/say what I want" crowd tends to be a little thin-skinned.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Someone briefly changed the Wikipedia page for Home Alone 2 to include the completely impertinent information that on December 19, 2019, Donald Trump became the first cast member to be impeached.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Someone briefly changed the Wikipedia page for Home Alone 2 to include the completely impertinent information that on December 19, 2019, Donald Trump became the first cast member to be impeached.
:rotfl:

Um, yeah.. and who is the snowflake?

As stated in the article, but important to point out: the cut was made back in 2014, before Trump was president. Manufactured FOX news outrage.. their specialty.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/us/car-c ... index.html

Makes me wonder what god this woman thought she was serving. The Christian God, which seems to be the one she had in mind from the context of the article, would be Absolutely Not Okay with this kind of behavior.

That said I've been close enough to the cogs of the more fanatical brands of Christianity ( or just the more fanatical phase of new-found religion in individuals ) to not be surprised one little bit by this. Religion is not some kind of leveling up that gets adherents to a spot where they are better than others - a cheat code in the game of life that grants them invulnerability to common "afflictions" ( like being injured in a head-on collision, apparently :roll: ) that the unfaithful must suffer - but a lot of believers treat it like such.

I don't know, I just had to vent about it a little bit. Religion is supposed to be a force for good in the world but I'll be danged if it isn't most often the opposite.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Griffon... *ugh* I have relatives who believe they are in good health because they are 'good Christians' and other people get sick because they are not. It's a wonder that they don't give some thought to the fact that Jesus could not 'save himself'.

The woman in the article you cite has authored a couple of Ukrainian cookbooks (with the help of god it seems). It also appears she went through a bankruptcy several years ago. She sounds like an interesting person. :roll:
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Story time: One of my co-workers is an exceptionally intelligent youngster who is in deep with the management layer, and got their opportunity to work here, due to attending the same church as management - and is also a pretty new convert to religion. This is a person who can excel on their own but got their slot at my company due both to their impressive intellect and their impressive ability to lick boot as needed. During the smalltalk portion preceding a work meeting a couple years back I mentioned a vexing home insurance issue, involving standard aging of one's home. Management mentioned that their own home plus several of their rental properties are in the same age bracket, but thankfully while they know of home owners in those neighborhoods who had that problem they haven't yet had it happen to their property or rentals, but it was probably only a matter of time. Co-worker said something to the effect of "Well, it is because you are such a good Christian that God is protecting you from these trails." ( YES!!! In an official work meeting!!! Implying that I was somehow a substandard person not under God's protection I guess :roll: ). I am happy to say that at least management said "Well, I'd like to believe it was clean living but it really is only luck" instead of draping themselves in the simpering, fawning holier-than-thou-ness that that co-worker tried to wrap them in. But that kind of thinking is pretty prevalent amongst many believers - a belief that they can dice God up into convenient little cubes they can pop on the scale at any time to weigh things in their favor.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow. It's crazy, isn't it.. and cultish. It certainly doesn't belong in the workplace!

Years ago I used to meet with several women once a week to paint. I enjoyed it very much. All of the other women in the group were from the same church and would often say in response to ANY given topic, "Have you taken it to the Lord?" At the time I was very much a practicing Christian and VERY active in my church, but they did not consider my church to be 'truly Christian' as they were. It got very silly. While the 'Have you taken it to the Lord?' began with more weighty matters it bled its way into trivial matters (such as the wrong tint of paint not working for a particular application in our current painting). It got ridiculous & finally they staged an 'intervention' to get me to convert to their church because they 'knew where I was going wrong' and I had so much Christian potential which I could not make use of in my current style of worship. :roll:

Due to that experience, and several other similar experiences, I came to view religion as nothing more than power, control, and manipulation. Because of it, I am no longer a Christian of any type. I do believe morals and goodness matter.. but whatever it was they were selling.. it wasn't morality, goodness, or what I'd believed to be 'Christian' behavior.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Listened to this podcast this morning (didn't get to the end yet but got far enough to be enraged. Nothing like some US history to get your blood pressure up)

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/ra ... s/60-words

I honestly do think I need some whiskey for this tango foxtrot. And there certainly is not enough. :rage:

Why hasn't congress repealed this yet?! Or revised it to be less permissive? Or heck, given it a freakin expiration date??
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Well, you can try writing to your Representative. Mine's Barbara Lee - she's already (the only one) doing the right thing. And yes, that was an awful podcast. :bang:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, that's both the upside and the downside of living here. The elected officials are progressive and don't need much yelling at, and even showing up for a march will be dismissed by the media as a given in a liberal area.

In other news, my "this can't be real" meter is officially broken. Apparently a White House spiritual advisor Paula White was praying for immediate miscarriage of all satanic pregnancies, and I sincerely hope that one is a joke because otherwise there are just too many layers of WTF to unwrap.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Praying for abortion. How very Christian. Now pass me the slivovica.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

It was a metaphor, just not a great one, the way I read it and the way she later explained it. She meant that she was praying for the plans that satan's agents were working on in the world to be stopped ( paraphrasing her words ). And that's fair enough. "Deliver us from evil" is a standard of Christian prayer.

No, to me it is more telling that the evil in the world that she's praying against is being described in female terms of pregnancy and so forth - still stuck on Eve biting into that ol' apple, I see. Never a peep about Adam being unable to resist temptation either in these folks' minds. Nope, when you have male and female sinners, just the woman is guilty. To tie this back to her metaphor and that ol' conservative Evangelical bugaboo --- unwanted pregnancy? Woman's fault. Dude could have chosen to wrap it up and didn't, but totes not his fault ... and not our place to ask if his actions have consequences the way woman's actions do, no, not for these folks. Amazin' how they hold forth the male as the strong one, the chosen one, the leader, all that stuff, but they gotta cut all kinds of slack for the poor snowflake at the same time, right.

So, what I'm saying is, work on your metaphors, lady - surely you knew as you uttered your metaphor that it wasn't great? Meant to go for the shock value I suppose, but will act all hurt if people are appalled in ways you didn't want. But no doubt the liberal reaction to this will become just another beam in the "mainstream media is so so unfair to conservative viewpoints" scaffolding holding up Fox News as fair and balanced.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

So regarding "satanic pregnancies" -- are we talking Rosemary's Baby here, or the Omen, or that one episode of the X-Files, or maybe Good Omens? Will the Satanic child, if born, have free will? In other words, is the child satanic in that is has powerful abilities normally associated with evil, or is it intrinsically and irredeemably evil?

Anyway, all you need to know about Paula White can be summed up in two words.

Prosperity
Gospel

Meaning -- Jesus died to make you rich!

But first you have to *prime the pump* by giving to my church.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Faramond, I feel that the Good Omens scenario is our only hope here.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Faramond

Post by Faramond »

I think this headline qualifies for maximum foxtrottery:

Grand Valley State suspends OC Morris Berger for wanting meal with Adolf Hitler

First, I think it is appropriate that this guy is an offensive coordinator.

Second, the only acceptable reason for wanting to have dinner with Hitler is to stab him with your steak knife.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Unbelievable. :(

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Everything else aside, does no one remember that this "great leader" led for only 12 years and left the country a smoking ruin divided and managed by foreign forces?