Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by Dave_LF »

Did someone graffiti her and she didn't notice?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It means exactly what it says on the package.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump is claiming it was aimed at the media. I find that really hard to believe. When is the last time she wore a $39 anything? I had thought she was better than this. I think she is smarter than her husband. I am puzzled. But I suppose, as in Puerto Rico, 'Let them eat cake!' hey?

Edited to add: It was 81F in Washington DC. A bit warm for a jacket.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

But at least Trump finally made a real Time cover.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Heh. The Time cover was quite artfully done.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

NYT Opinion
Baffling as it may be to elites on both left and right, Mr. Trump embodies a real if imperfect model of family values. https://t.co/D0AM2Z2T1o

I'm not sure if my time is better spent reading the linked article to see if it has any redeeming value, or looking for that gif of Nathan Fillion as Castle being baffled but deciding not to speak up.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I read so that you don't have to. Believe me, you don't have to.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Gaaahhhhh! I subscribe to both the Washington Post and the NYT, but I'm seriously considering dumping the NYT. I don't think they have the best interests of our country at heart (or at minimum in mind).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

But There’s nothing much in that article.... it’s just a mish-mash to say that some Americans are okay with Trump’s lack of “family values” because they view it as “normal”. I can see that, I know Indians who are not as upset with this attitude of his either, it’s a non issue for them. It’s a patriarchal mindset thing, I think.

what made you so upset, Prim?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's just a cumulative impression that the NYT has bent over backwards to give Trump and his followers extensive uncritical coverage while leaning hard on his opposition—as if they're so concerned about being perceived as against Trump that they lean hard the other way. Certainly they covered the campaign in a way that contributed to his election victory, pulling the rug out from under Clinton at every opportunity.

The other day they wrote a story about an ordinary person in a Trump state that caused quite a stir on Twitter, at least among the cynical, because she was not a Trump voter!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Prim, it kind of reminds me of what Comey did.. he didn't want to seem partisan so he released stuff that he should not have about Clinton and her e-mails which turned out to be nothing (because he presumed she would win and didn't want it to appear as if he had suppressed information on her) but never said a peep about the investigation that was going on for Trump/Russia. This is how it works for narcissists. It's the 'mean girl' principle. You get everyone else to do your dirty work/fighting for you.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

While this is related to the investigation thread, I couldn't in good conscience post anywhere else.

https://twitter.com/TheBeatWithAri/stat ... 1060868098
Breaking: @MichaelAvenatti says if Michael Cohen "was prepared to do the right thing", I would "absolutely consider" representing him.

"Michael Cohen and I had a chance to converse" we had "a very positive meeting" https://t.co/AGA0MTvgmq
Apart from all other levels of WTF, wouldn't it be a conflict of interest?

Voronwë the Faithful

It would seem likely.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Think Progress https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1021365601724522497
This is incredible. @FoxFriendsFirst thought they booked pro-ICE Dem Ann Kirkpatrick on show, but accidentally booked Barbara L'Italien
(@teambarbara) instead.

L'Italien delivers personal message to Trump saying "we must stop abducting children... stop putting kids in cages." https://t.co/OnVAdBVjJB

UPDATE: L’Italien campaign says "lack of due diligence" led to Fox News' accidentally booking @teambarbara.

"This would not have happened to an actual news station." https://t.co/skurdy9syV

Voronwë the Faithful

I saw that and was going to post that here, too. It is great.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:rotfl: :salmon:

Yeah, you'd think a Trump/Putin sponsored propaganda station would have their act together.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

This isn't really WTF, just one of those whimsical coincidences probably.

Politico https://twitter.com/politico/status/1022898235910832129
Spotted: Robert Mueller and Donald Trump Jr. both waiting for their flights this morning at the 35X gate at DCA. And yes, there is a photo. https://t.co/gKUSO7QhOU https://t.co/tvcoyLMnDW

Voronwë the Faithful

I saw that, and chuckled about it.

On more of the WTF level:
Putin gave Trump a soccer ball that may have a transmitter chip
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this:Russia Says U.S. Military Must Listen to Trump and Work with Putin or Leave Syria Immediately What to make of that?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meh, that's just trolling, IMO.