Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Not enough Whisky for this Tango Foxtrot

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well, it's that big ol' brain of his. You know, his assurance that “I’m, like, a really smart person.” (says no one ever who truly is a really smart person).
He claims, “I have the world’s greatest memory.” We all know that's not true.

If you read his quotes and twitter feed, there's an awful lot of 'magical thinking' going on that should frighten the beejeesus out of everyone. That is not a healthy mind-set.

He claims that the ' water and air are at their cleanest levels ever!' while rolling back environmental protections and refusing to attend the climate summit at the G7 (because, as he told reporters, "I think I know more about the environment than most people," and that he's "the greatest environmentalist ever to be president." (um .. sure, in what up-side-down universe?)
Considering he has said, "My ‘natural instinct for science’ tells me climate science is wrong." tells us he doesn't even understand how science works.. it's not a matter of 'instinct'. Good grief.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Do I laugh.. do I cry? :help: :cry:
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I suggest :roll:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!).
- President Trump on Twitter.

I'm sorry, but ... just no. Nonononono. And my ex-hometown Republican in Congress, Kevin McCarthy, defends this man. Atrocious.

PS: At least Pat Robertson responded to that by remarking that “The President of the United States is in danger of losing the mandate of Heaven if he permits this to happen.” - though that bit is not sourced from a reputable website.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I posted about that tweet in the Trump's America thread, but I agree that it really belongs here.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Pat Robertson perhaps doesn't realize his comment is just as twisted and bizarre.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Still not the Onion...

[quote=https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/stat ... 87936?s=19]Fox guest accuses congressional Democrats of "regicide" and calls the whistelblowers "suicide bombers" https://t.co/cyv6Y9Vxr2[/quote]

Wasn't there a whole war to never have a king again?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/stat ... 87936?s=19]

Fox guest accuses congressional Democrats of "regicide" and calls the whistelblowers "suicide bombers" https://t.co/cyv6Y9Vxr2

Making the link clickable...
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sunsilver wrote:https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/stat ... 87936?s=19]

Fox guest accuses congressional Democrats of "regicide" and calls the whistelblowers "suicide bombers" https://t.co/cyv6Y9Vxr2

Making the link clickable...
Some of the comments in the link are funny. (How did Regis Philben get dragged into this?) :) But it's not a funny situation. The intentional misleading of the public is sickening. The ignorance is horrific. The 'King' has no clothes indeed.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

How exactly does one commit regicide in a nation that has no monarchy?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

The "king" has no clothes, no crown, no throne, no kingdom... but he has a very devoted following that'll convince him that he does.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Isn't that the primary reason for our constitution (to prevent a monarchy?) I'm thinking they (Trump, et al) are hoping most people don't know that.
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Isn't that the primary reason for our constitution (to prevent a monarchy?) I'm thinking they (Trump, et al) are hoping most people don't know that.
I'm not sure it does - other monarchies have constitutions. Though accepting that ours limits the power of an elected president with term limits and zero deference given to heirs, it doesn't expressly say "no monarchs". I think the one hard stop against monarchs is the prohibition on granting titles of nobility...
Article I, Section 9, Clause 8. No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.
Y'know what's really stupid? It seems the whole emoluments issue with Trump could have been COMPLETELY resolved if his Republican congress had just given him consent. :doh:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I don't think Trump's into consent. Exhibit 1: On women: "Grab 'em by the pussy." Exhibit 2: On acquiring land for the border wall: "Just take the land."
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Not all constitutions are the same. Our government was intentionally set up so that no one person has too much power. Checks & balances. Or at least that is how it's supposed to work.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And today in "are you sure that isn't an Onion headline".....

Trump appears to do bizarre impression of FBI agent having sex
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm sure parents were thrilled their children got to see the president come... to Minnesota. :whistle:
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

dt191002.gif
dt191002.gif (107.44 KiB) Viewed 4374 times
elengil

Post by elengil »

Headline today:
Teacher 'habitually' takes a knee during Pledge of Allegiance. It doesn't go unnoticed: Teachers aren't 'paid to indoctrinate our students'
The irony of decrying indoctrination during an overt act of state-enforced indoctrination...

And in a chilling article:
https://www.npr.org/2019/10/15/77024971 ... -and-trump

What else aren't we being told because it might damage a powerful person? I'm really, really, really freakin tired of the rich and/or powerful being propped up above the law.

And once again I wonder where we are with exposing and prosecuting those involved with Epstein. Nobody is a solo sex-trafficker.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/busi ... state.html

This has been my WTF browse through the news today. And it's only 10am
was a 2020 planner.