Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Trump's America

Post by Jude »

I would change "cannot watch with comment" to "cannot watch without comment" (kommentarlos)...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thank you, Nin. I look forward to hearing your further thoughts, when you get the opportunity.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thanks, Nin. I see Google is doing pretty well with German. It usually makes a hilarious hash out of Russian.

This person on Twitter collected the response of every Senator to the Executive Order banning travelers from Muslim countries.

https://twitter.com/SarahPinsker/status ... 2977383424

Google's co-founder Sergey Brin was at the SFO yesterday protesting the ban. Brin came to the US with his family from then USSR with refugee status in 1979
https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/825546620276088834
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

The judge who issued the stay is an Obama appointee. I would be surprised if she doesn't make it permanent. Depending on the luck of the draw, who knows what a panel of the Court of Appeals will do. Ultimately, it will be up to Anthony Kennedy to decide, most likely, since Trump's SCOTUS pick will likely already be on the court by the time the issue reaches the high court, meaning that Kennedy will likely be the deciding vote of a 5-4 split.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

General Michael Hayden, former director of CIA and NSA, tweeted in support of the ACLU lawsuit challenging the EO.

@DavidColeACLU @ACLU @nytimes Imagine that. ACLU and I in the same corner.

Twitter being what it is, someone immediately and incorrectly told him that it was "ACLU and me". To which Hayden replied, "@gfradin ACLU and me are in the same corner. Me is subject. Therefore Nominative case. Not objective. Thus I. Not me. Diagram the sentence"

Faith in humanity justified. :D

Eta: Hayden also responded to a question about the level of concern for the changes to NSC with "Medium to high."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I just took this screenshot of the Whitehouse.gov website. Can you spot what's missing?

And we checked, it has been there before.

Voronwë the Faithful

The Judicial Branch?

Meanwhile, this is just funny:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =762135165 (go down to "number of extant species")
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

:rofl:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I have lost all ability to find the situation amusing in any way. :(

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm looking for hope. Here's some I found:

Kal Penn, the actor who took several years off to work in the Obama White House, was insulted on Twitter yesterday morning by a troll who told him he didn't belong in the United States. (He's the son of Indian immigrants and was born in New Jersey.)

In response, he tweeted:
To the dude who said I don't belong in America, I started a fundraising page for Syrian Refugees in your name.
https://www.crowdrise.com/donating-to-s ... er/kalpenn
He set an initial goal of $5,000, which was blown through in minutes. As of the time of this posting, Penn's fundraising page for Syrian immigrants had brought in $496,386—almost half a million in less than 36 hours.

This and the genuinely spontaneous mass demonstrations make me think there is a lot of energy for resistance out there that is finding its own channel. That and (much of) the news media beginning to describe the Trump administration's lies and incompetence* in precisely those terms. Believe me, this is something new in American political media. I choose to see it as grounds for hope.

*I realize that this kind of language has rightly been discouraged on this board, and still is when it's being used rhetorically; but I'm using these terms in their exact sense and have seen plenty of objective evidence that they apply. I wish to God they didn't.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ok, I was wrong. This did make me laugh, when my attempts to confirm that it's for real led me to believe that it probably is.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Voronwë, you need to take a screenshot of that link because I'm pretty sure it'll be edited soon...

Frelga, I have no idea what's missing on that whitehouse.gov site because I've never visited it. Was Voronwë's guess correct?
Voronwë the Faithful

Jude, it had been edited long since. At the top of the page you will see a note saying "This is an old revision of this page, as edited by 24.227.242.98 (talk) at 21:43, 26 January 2017 (→‎Number of extant species). The present address (URL) is a permanent link to this revision, which may differ significantly from the current revision." I had no idea that you could preserve old revisions, but I am far from a Wikipedia expert.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Jude wrote:Frelga, I have no idea what's missing on that whitehouse.gov site because I've never visited it. Was Voronwë's guess correct?
Yeah, it was correct. There's a third branch to the US government the White House decided to disappear.

These things happen when people with no experience in civil service take up civil service.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't know if the omission was deliberate or not, but it is quite telling as the administration is apparently disregarding the various court orders regarding the immigration ban.

ETA: However, I don't believe that was known yet when Frelga pointed out the omission.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I have heard about the border patrol detaining people despite the stay before I saw the screenshot of the White House site and went to check. The one I posted was taken by me.

The link to the Judicial Branch is back now.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yonatan Zunger on whether this move was a trial balloon for a coup.

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial ... .nzhj6lxf1

Maybe R and I should just leave. I'm feeling stressed and vulnerable. we don't even have green cards - because of the Indian quota.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, as mentioned in that Zunger column, the Trump administration put out a statement about Holocaust remembrance without making any mention of Jews or any other group targeted by the Nazis and then went out of their way to defend the statement. It is impossible for me to overstatement how offensive I find that.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

? Vinnie, I can't parse your last post.

The Zunger article reads like a full blown conspiracy theory to me. I can see how bits of it play out (personal enrichment for example) but a total coup of government? Don't see how that could happen without the complete loyalty of the armed forces.

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

And why would he need to? His party already controls everything.