Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Trump's America

Post by elengil »

One would think that if nothing else, Kushner could at least succeed at making sure this was done right. But... apparently not.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

My favorite was
“Of course the White House puts Hanukkah on its Advent calendar!” Eric Columbus quipped. “It’s like those crappy new Hallmark/Lifetime movies where Jews learn the true meaning of Christmas, but with your tax dollars.”
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The small amount of oil to light a menorah for one (eight) night(s) isn't the same global oil/cash game this administration is into.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Jimmy Carter was the first President to light the National Menorah. Just in case the Trump Admin tries to tell it differently. :)
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The migrants in detention are not allowed to sing carols

Merry Christmas, you bloody hypocrites! :rage:

Anyone know if this charity is one worth supporting?

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/steelmagn ... jDTwHfGI2w
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I didn't find "Immigrant Families Together" in Charity Navigator. Perhaps it goes by a different name.
Last edited by narya on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

A detailed study by the Federal Reserve demonstrating the negative effect of Trump's tariffs, resulting in loss of manufacturing jobs in the U.S., and higher prices for U.S. consumers:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/ ... 086pap.pdf
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The natural advantages which one country has over another, in producing particular commodities, are sometimes so great, that it is acknowledged by all the world to be in vain to struggle with them. By means of glasses, hot-beds, and hot-walls, very good grapes can be raised in Scotland, and very good wine, too, can be made of them, at about thirty times the expense for which at least equally good can be brought from foreign countries. Would it be a reasonable law to prohibit the importation of all foreign wines, merely to encourage the making of claret and Burgundy in Scotland? But if there would be a manifest absurdity in turning towards any employment thirty times more of the capital and industry of the country than would be necessary to purchase from foreign countries an equal quantity of the commodities wanted, there must be an absurdity, though not altogether so glaring, yet exactly of the same kind, in turning towards any such employment a thirtieth, or even a three hundredth part more of either. Whether the advantages which one country has over another be natural or acquired, is in this respect of no consequence. As long as the one country has those advantages, and the other wants them, it will always be more advantageous for the latter rather to buy of the former than to make. It is an acquired advantage only, which one artificer has over his neighbour, who exercises another trade; and yet they both find it more advantageous to buy of one another, than to make what does not belong to their particular trades.
Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations, 1776. Still perfectly valid.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Sometimes I get a rare insight into just how Trump supporters think, and frankly, it scares the crap out of me. Yes, we do indeed live for the most part in an echo chamber on this board:

We've seen this from the start of his campaign, Trump playing into the fears of his supporters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ar/498116/
Attachments
trump is in the way.jpg
trump is in the way.jpg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elengil

Post by elengil »

:nono:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

CNN had a smaller banner saying "US embassy under attack" and a larger one "The State Department policy against Iran is working" and I can't tell if they are being sarcastic.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Frelga wrote:CNN had a smaller banner saying "US embassy under attack" and a larger one "The State Department policy against Iran is working" and I can't tell if they are being sarcastic.
:roll: I'll bet there's an editor or compositor somewhere having a good chuckle!
elengil

Post by elengil »

While this mainly focuses on the impeachment it's also broader discussion on the courts in general so I thought I'd put it here - move if you think that's more appropriate.

I was mostly struck by the following excerpts, in that we've discussed on this board the possibility of waiting on the courts, but it had not been so clearly laid out just how much the courts could, but chose not to, actually reach an expedited decision rather than let the question linger so long that it many may have considered it better to drop the case rather than press it, despite the obvious drawbacks of that decision.

We've gone back and forth on whether the courts should have had to resolve the issue in the first place. But since it came to them (the courts), they should have been obliged to resolve the issue in a time frame consistent with the severity of the circumstances!

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... erate.html
What’s stunning is the degree to which the courts are complicit in all this. The courts have aided and abetted the Trump legal team and Mitch McConnell by refusing to behave as if time is a factor in any of these proceedings.
But the real coup de grâce was the failure of the Supreme Court and lower federal courts to resolve congressional subpoenas around the impeachment process with alacrity when it was altogether plain what was needed. Had the courts signaled a willingness to act at a pace befitting the needs of the moment, Schiff might have made a different choice. Sometimes the appearance of studied deliberation serves nihilism and chaos, even as it pretends at neutrality and institutionalism.
Make no mistake: It is a choice to ignore a congressional subpoena, and it is a choice to claim that only a court can resolve that impasse. When that choice is taken by the president, it seems fair to ask that the courts resolve the matter with something more prompt than the “all deliberate speed” ...
Sometimes, not resolving a case in time for relief of any kind is a decision. Calling it lofty institutional deliberation instead of a dodge is a play to the court of public opinion, but not a court of law.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

That's a good article that makes a very good point. Thanks for sharing it. While I personally probably would have put it in the impeachment thread, I can see why you considered it to be making a broader point and I'll leave it here.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Sometimes, not resolving a case in time for relief of any kind is a decision. Calling it lofty institutional deliberation instead of a dodge is a play to the court of public opinion, but not a court of law.
:nono: :cry:

I had read there was another assassination ordered on the same day as Soleimani but the attempt failed. Now I can't find the article. Is anyone familiar with that in the news? I seem to recall it was in Tehran.. but I can't recall the name of the target.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I heard about it too. The target's name escapes me, but he was also a high ranking officer in the Quds force and he was in Yemen when they tried and failed to kill him.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I heard about that as well.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:nono:

:cry:
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Trump was interviewed on Fox News, and said that the troops left behind in Syria were there to take Syria's oil. When Laura Ingraham, who was doing the interview had trouble believing what he said, and tried to correct him he replied: "I don’t know, maybe we should take it, but we have the oil,” he said. “Right now, the United States has the oil. We have the oil.”

This is war crime.

https://theguardiansofdemocracy.com/im- ... bL6eTO0JcE
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's really awful to be on the wrong side of history, to be associated with 'the bad guys'. Just awful.