Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

At least he made an attempt to address my people, as well as my Muslim brothers and sisters.

Edited to add: Facebook even gave me a memory to commemorate the occasion!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Does anyone know what happened to the protesters that got put into unmarked vans? Were they released eventually?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Yes. They got dumped in the courthouse parking garage because there was no legal basis for the arrests.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Okay, good. I guess.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

It was kind of an early admission that they done f*cked up in Portland.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

But Trump is still bragging about preventing liberal democrat antifa protesters from 'knocking down' a federal building.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Oooh. Worthy of Moist*
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Former Trump advisor Steve Bannon arrested on fraud charges in border wall

... by the US Postal Inspection Service.
Oh.. the irony.. :rotfl:
But are we surprised that Bannon is involved in fraud? Nope. Will he (or any of his cohorts) talk to save themselves? That's what inquiring minds wanna know.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:Former Trump advisor Steve Bannon arrested on fraud charges in border wall

... by the US Postal Inspection Service.
Don't mess with the mail. They'll come for you. By sea.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Protip (from Twitter): Imagine all of Trump's tweets starting with "Mommy,".

Example:
Why are the Republicans allowing the Democrats to have ridiculous Post Office hearings on Saturday & Monday just before and during our Convention. Let them hold them NOW (during their Convention) or after our Convention is over. Always playing right into their hands!
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Dave_LF wrote:Protip (from Twitter): Imagine all of Trump's tweets starting with "Mommy,".
:rofl: :rotfl: :rofl: :clap:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Giggle.
But also, did Democrats make a canny move for once?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I like the "Mommy" protip. He just needs a little cheese & crackers (to go along with his whining.)
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

:nono:

*I will add a caveat, some of these things are fundamentally outside of a president's control, and "voter beware" in all cases of political promises.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's a dystopian world out there folks. Things are looking pretty dark. I'm afraid to leave my home, not only due to the rampant virus, but for all of the assault rifle toting conspiracy theorists roaming the streets. If the tri-county area I live in, the 'WOW' is critical for my state, we're in for some dark years. I'm not sure the country will survive. Donny Darko takes on a whole new meaning.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:hug: RoseMorninStar

I have no comforting words to offer but got hugs.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I'm afraid to leave my home, not only due to the rampant virus, but for all of the assault rifle toting conspiracy theorists roaming the streets. If the tri-county area I live in, the 'WOW' is critical for my state, we're in for some dark years.
Could you explain your 'WOW' comment? (I don't know what 'WOW' means.)

My perception, regarding rifle toting, is that people are upset seeing cities burning and have lost faith in their local and state governments' ability/resolve to handle the situation adequately, so they are preparing to defend their communities themselves. I don't think you have to posit conspiracy theories to understand people's concerns, given what is happening around the country.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Context implies that Rose is using an acronym but here, let me just look that one up for you... WOW counties:
WOW counties is a common media term in southeastern Wisconsin in the United States which refers to the initials of Waukesha, Ozaukee, and Washington counties. They lie to the west, north, and northwest of Milwaukee, respectively, and are part of the Milwaukee metropolitan area.[1] Like the collar counties surrounding Chicago, these counties have a primarily white population, and unusually so considering the trend of suburbs around cities in the Rust Belt region becoming more racially diverse.[2] Racine County to the south of Milwaukee County, excluding the city of Racine, also has the same demographics outside the city (though some communities have lower average income), but usually goes unmentioned due to the city of Racine's population being just under 69% of the county's population.

The WOW counties are generally among the most Republican areas in the state. All county offices are held by Republican figures; indeed, there are almost no elected Democrats above the county level. The vast majority of the state party's voter efforts (along with those of outside organizations) go to pushing voter turnout from those three counties to counteract the turnout from Milwaukee and Dane counties and the cities of Racine and Kenosha, which generally lean Democratic. Local conservative talk radio stations such as WISN (1130) and the late morning and midday shows of WTMJ (620) also target their program's topics and talking points more to the WOW counties rather than their city of license, Milwaukee.[3][4][5][6]
Yep, she was using an acronym for her geographic location.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

RoseMorninStar wrote:If the tri-county area I live in, the 'WOW' is critical for my state, we're in for some dark years.
This is the aspect of the statement I am not understanding: "If (the area) is critical."

As I am reading this, your area might be critical (i.e., crucial?) for or to something in your state, and if it does turn out to be critical to that, dark years ahead.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.