Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Trump's America

Post by yovargas »

But, like, why did the Civil War happen?? How come nobody is asking that???

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

And why couldn't Andrew Jackson just, you know, make it stop? He could've risen out of his grave of 16 years, right?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Apparently, what we need is a "good government shutdown."
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/0 ... own-237870

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

@ACLU is live tweeting the Muslim Ban 2.0 court case and it's beautiful.

Eta:
And @MordorNPS, the Mordor National Park account, is live tweeting the Sally Yates testimony.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

FBI Director Comey has been fired.

The relevant documents are in the link. Basically, Trump followed through on a recommendation for AG Sessions who acted on teh recommendation of Deputy AG Rosenstein. Rosenstein wrote a lengthy memo to Sessions detailing that Comey should be fire because of how the Clinton e-mail investigation was handled. Sessions writes a one paragraph letter to Trump recommending the dismissal of Comey. No mention of any current investigations related to Trump or anyone else. And then here's where it gets weird. In the middle of Trump's letter is this statement: "While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, I am no under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau." Where did that come from??
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

You know how in the action movies, when the cop gets put on probation or something....
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

So, things are happening so fast it's hard to keep up.

I just know I saw this on Twitter a couple of minutes ago:

Sky News tweeted a few minutes ago:
The White House is on lockdown after someone attempted to climb over the fence

Someone retweeted with the comment:
In which direction?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Betcha it was Spicer.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Possibly related?
Adrian Carrasquillo (@Carrasquillo) wrote:WH comms staffers just put the TVs on super loud after we could hear yelling coming from room w/ Bannon, Spicer, Sanders
Carrasquilo is a White House correspondent for BuzzFeedNews. Which is a respectable news source. These are the times we live in.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

inorite?

I'm wondering what that whole glowing globe thing was really about.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

An equivalent of a ribbon cutting ceremony - a globe that lit up when touched to symbolize the opening of a Global something against terrorism.

Or possibly the summoning ceremony that has gone wrong, leaving a sinkhole in front of Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ago-resort

What was with Melanie slapping his hand away, though?

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Wouldn't you?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

"BREAKING NEWS (please RETWEET): Montana's GOP House Candidate Appears to Commit a (Recorded) Assault on Election Eve https://t.co/lAM07XDIXX"

Seth Abramson's tweet thread starts here https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status ... 1906849793

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes, and two major Montana papers have rescinded their endorsement of the Republican candidate on the eve of the election.

And charges have been filed against the candidate. Just misdemeanor assault, but still.
Voronwë the Faithful

And I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up making no difference at all in the vote.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Could they actually get jail time?
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Probably not, I would guess, but I don't know for sure. It is interesting that the witnesses were a Fox News TV crew, and they are confirming that what they saw matches what Jacobs, the Guardian reporter, says happened (as opposed to the "alternative facts" version put out by Gianforte's campaign, which contradicts the audio recording as well).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Fox has done a couple of surprising things since Ailes died.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Absentee ballots sent in ahead of time may affect the outcome in a state as sparsely populated as Montana.

I read an article written by one of the Fox News reporter witnesses, and immediately afterwards read Gianforte's campaign's nonsense statement. That statement was disappointing, to say the least.

I hope to see the tide against vile behavior turn in due time. It is no way to maintain a civilization.

I don't think everybody who works at Fox News are cut of the same cloth as Ailes, Hannity, O'Reilly, and such. But they are all affected by their organization's ( sometimes past ) endorsement of the words and deeds of those guys.