Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Trump's America

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote: It is disturbing to hear the president discuss Democrats as if they are not fellow taxpaying citizens of the US. As if anyone who is not a Trump loyalist is an enemy to be put down.
This has been coming for a while. Democrats (liberals, lefties, whatever word they use) aren't True Patriots (tm), Democrats aren't even American, now Democrats are practically not even human. This rhetoric has been building for years. Already starting to bleed into Republicans who aren't falling goose-step into Cult Trump. Soon it'll be the Cult Trumpies who aren't Cult Trumpy *enough*.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

elengil wrote: This has been coming for a while. Democrats (liberals, lefties, whatever word they use) aren't True Patriots (tm), Democrats aren't even American, now Democrats are practically not even human. This rhetoric has been building for years. Already starting to bleed into Republicans who aren't falling goose-step into Cult Trump. Soon it'll be the Cult Trumpies who aren't Cult Trumpy *enough*.
I've been noticing that. The Lincoln Project is getting under certain skins.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

elengil wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote: It is disturbing to hear the president discuss Democrats as if they are not fellow taxpaying citizens of the US. As if anyone who is not a Trump loyalist is an enemy to be put down.
This has been coming for a while. Democrats (liberals, lefties, whatever word they use) aren't True Patriots (tm), Democrats aren't even American, now Democrats are practically not even human. This rhetoric has been building for years. Already starting to bleed into Republicans who aren't falling goose-step into Cult Trump. *Soon it'll be the Cult Trumpies who aren't Cult Trumpy *enough*.

*My bolding.

They are already doing this to Liz Cheney, Mitt Romney, and anyone else who doesn't fall in line 100%. That is not what they are elected to do. If it were, we wouldn't need them.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Welp, Trump's paramilitary formation is headed for Seattle so my dad's going to go out marching. And hopefully come home. Without COVID. Not sure what my mom thinks of that plan but I doubt she'll be able to stop him.

I got lots of words but I'm not sure I'm allowed to use them in Lasto.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't hop in my car with my bike helmet and join a mom wall if it forms up in Seattle like it did in Portland. I can pretty much hear what my husband would say.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

RoseMorninStar wrote:...It is disturbing to hear the president discuss Democrats as if they are not fellow taxpaying citizens of the US. As if anyone who is not a Trump loyalist is an enemy to be put down.
Correct. This is how a sociopathic narcissist thinks. It is ALL about him. "L'état, c'est moi."

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Impenitent wrote:
RoseMorninStar wrote:...It is disturbing to hear the president discuss Democrats as if they are not fellow taxpaying citizens of the US. As if anyone who is not a Trump loyalist is an enemy to be put down.
Correct. This is how a sociopathic narcissist thinks. It is ALL about him. "L'état, c'est moi."
Exactly. This is why he conflates disloyalty.. any opinion contrary to his own to be akin to treason. He believe he IS the state instead of a servant of the people.

River, I wish your father well. You are pretty far from Seattle, yes? That would be quite a bike ride. It's awful when the president of our nation says Democrats are worse than Russia, China, and North Korea. Well, if he treated us like he treats dictators (with the utmost respect) we wouldn't be having issues now, would we?
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Biking from here to Seattle would be an epic adventure I'm not in shape for. I'd drive. The helmet would be for protection from whatever the paramilitaries and police start chucking around. Though now that I think about it, my climbing helmet would be a better choice.

My husband flipped his lid when I mentioned it. I expected that.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Perhaps Trump's paramilitary troopers will be coming to a town near you soon! (/sarcasm) Although I believe your general area is Republican so probably not.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Um, no. In fact, the area I live in is notoriously liberal. We are counter-balanced by some other parts, though, which is why we have typically fallen into the purple state category and we have a Republican Senator. Gardner's very much on the ropes, though. In fact, the Blue Wave of 2018 was more like a Blue Tsunami in Colorado and we now have an openly gay governor and horrible things like free all-day kindergarten in all school districts. Trump pretty much ruined the GOP brand in this state (didn't help that in the gubernatorial election the GOP ran a guy with family ties to the KKK). It's probably Gardner's craptacular poll numbers that are keeping the Feds out of Denver, actually. For now.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of a couple of other areas, Colorado Springs, Greely, Pueblo.

I guess a Wall of Vets are joining in with the Wall of Moms and Dads with Leafblowers. :)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

When police acts like an occupying force, citizens treat it as an occupying force. That ends badly for everyone.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:When police acts like an occupying force, citizens treat it as an occupying force. That ends badly for everyone.
Agreed.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Important difference the graphic omits: No one in the Lansing protest tried to burn down the Capitol.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Cerin wrote:Important difference the graphic omits: No one in the Lansing protest tried to burn down the Capitol.
No one in Portland tried to burn down the city either, so it's not actually a difference.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

There is an organized, violent mob targeting the federal courthouse in Portland. The Lansing protest was peaceful. Difference.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

You do realize that drawing a weapon signals an intent to use it, right?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm experiencing cognitive dissonance.

Men carrying guns to a protest is peaceful.

Women linking arms with flowers and signs/songs calling for peace is violent.

My bubble isn't even within cooee of your bubble.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm with you Impy. I willing to concede that all sources of information come from a biased point of view and perhaps my perspective is just too skewed to judge accurately, but it is hard from me to even understand where you are coming from, Cerin. And I really want to!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

There was no attempt by protesters to destroy or damage government property in the Lansing protest. There are ongoing attempts to damage/destroy the federal courthouse in Portland
In Michigan, it is legal for a person to carry a firearm in public as long as the person is carrying the firearm with lawful intent and the firearm is not concealed.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/ ... 6854_7.pdf

Clue: It is not the Moms disingenuously shown in the misleading graphic who are attacking the federal building in Portland, and who were referred to as "anarchists". Nevertheless, the misleading graphic seems to have done its work, as you are now convinced that the Lansing protesters were violent and the Portland rioters are peaceful.

Note the power of misinformation spread by people uninterested in facts that don't support their agenda narrative.

I'm out of here for today.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Such peaceful.
Screenshot_20200726-071225.jpg
Screenshot_20200726-071225.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 2912 times

If the police showed the same restraint during the protests against the police brutality, we wouldn't be here now.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!