Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Trump's America

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar wrote: And we're getting rid of Scott Walker!
I saw that. What is the name of schadenfreude's more vicious cousin?

Also, the President sounds a lot more optimistic about the Democrats' ability to get their act together than I am.
Trump says working with House Dems will increase chances of progress over when Republicans were in charge. "The Democrats do stick together very well."..."I think it could be very good for me politically... "it could be a beautiful type of bipartisan situation."
https://twitter.com/scottshafer/status/ ... 7434813441
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think Mr. Trump's tune is going to change once they start actually doing things like investigating him and his cronies, and demanding that he actual turn over his tax returns.

Even before January when the new Congress gets sworn in, I think his eldest son will have gotten indicted and Mr. Trump will lose it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

One of my FB friends commented that Democrats will be responsible for getting Trump to fulfill one of his campaign promises: to release his taxes. :rofl:

Frelga: I'm not sure what you are implying. Envy?
Sadism? Almost certainly not (sadism) given my understanding of the word.

Walker has been a Koch puppet and is corrupt. He has hurt voter rights, destroyed environmental protections, sold off public land, weakened unions & workers rights, allowed the roads & infrastructure to decay, and has hurt school systems in the state including the University system. The Russians also targeted him as a possible puppet, which doesn't surprise me as he's not the brightest bulb. I will not be sorry to see him go.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

In Arizona, the Democratic candidate for Senate, Kyrsten Sinema, currently is less than 16,000 votes behind the GOP candidate, Martha McSally (850,043 - 834,134). The Green Party candidate, Angela Green, withdrew from the race on November 1 and endorsed Sinema, but still appeared on the ballot, and has received 38,597 votes. If Arizona used the ranked choice system that Maine has adopted, Sinema would almost certainly be the winner. If Green had not been on the ballot, Sinema almost certainly would have been the winner. However, as it stands, unless the uncounted votes go strongly Democratic, McSally will win.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Same old problem: only people who lose elections are motivated to change the system, and they don't have the power.

Ballot measures are a possible solution. Michigan passed two of these yesterday for different but similar problems; going forward, we'll have independent redistricting, automatic/same-day voter registration, and no-questions-asked absentee voting. Both measures passed by large margins despite being vigorously opposed by the local GOP establishment. Which, in a bit or irony, is probably breathing a sigh of relief over that outcome now that it's been disestablished. 8)
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:(Dems may not have been favored to take the Senate but having them actually lose seats during this supposed blue wave stings a hell of a lot. It does not give me any confidence for what 2020 holds.)
Actually, there are a lot of encouraging signs in the Senate voting for what 2020 holds for a Democratic candidate. There were 10 states that Mr. Trump won in 2016 in which Democrats were up for reelection. Of those 10 states, the Democrats won in in all of them that have a reasonable likelihood of a Democratic presidential candidate winning in 2020 except in your state of Florida, which is basically split 50/50. Plus another state that Mr. Trump won in 2020 that had a retiring GOP senator, Arizona, also was basically split 50/50. Even without Florida and Arizona, if a 2020 Democratic presidential candidate wins all the states that Clinton won, and also wins Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin, all of which were won by Mr. Trump but which the Democrats won yesterday, that person would win handily.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

From your fingers to God's ears, Voronwë.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Rose, I meant schadenfreude, but angrier.

Here's a good resource for sizing up the blue wave.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... house.html
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So a biochemist is headed to Congress.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

:P
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

So, Michigan legalized recreational pot! My friend from Detroit and I can now (legally) party together, regardless of whose home we're visiting in! :spin:

River: LOVE it!
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Sunsilver wrote:So, Michigan legalized recreational pot! My friend from Detroit and I can now (legally) party together, regardless of whose home we're visiting in! :spin:
As a resident of a state which has had legal pot for several years now, just because it's legal does not mean you can get around an employment prohibition on it. So just be aware, you may still be able to be fired for a positive on a drug test through your company, if that's the kind of thing you need to consider.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

And in the United States, if the company you work for has any federal contracts, you're subject to random drug testing, and marijuana is still classified as an illegal drug at the federal level.

And marijuana stays detectable for months.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wisconsin has a severe gerrymandering issue. A lower court ruled that the 2011 plan was "“an aggressive partisan gerrymander” that locked in a Republican majority in the state assembly under “any likely electoral scenario.” but it still hasn't been fixed. In 2011 Rebublican's 'packed & cracked' Wisconsin districts.
Brennan Center for Justice wrote: 2. What makes the gerrymander in Wisconsin especially bad?

Gerrymandering comes in many varieties, but the kind of gerrymandering that took place this decade in Wisconsin (and a handful of other states) is among the worst. This kind of aggressive gerrymandering doesn’t just pre-determine electoral results, but also locks in a disproportionate and unfair advantage for one party over the other — making maps unresponsive to voters in individual districts and deeply unrepresentative of the electorate as a whole.

At a statewide level, Wisconsin is a quintessential battleground where races are often decided by only a few percentage points. Contrast that to the state assembly map the Republicans drew: In 2012, they won 60 of the 99 seats in the Wisconsin Assembly despite winning only 48.6% of the two-party state-wide vote; in 2014, they won 63 seats with only 52% of the state-wide vote.

This is an odd outcome for a state like Wisconsin, where statewide elections are very close, and voters for both major parties are fairly evenly spread across the state. Voters in Wisconsin, like voters in battleground states in general, are not starkly clustered by party. For example, there are substantial pockets of Democratic voters in places like Vernon County and other rural and small towns, where Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton nearly evenly split the vote. The fact that Wisconsin’s Legislature doesn’t reflect this political diversity is, in large part, intentional.

The same sort of aggressive gerrymandering has distorted the U.S. Congress as well. According to a Brennan Center study, these “extreme maps” account for 16 to 17 Republican seats in the current Congress, a sizable portion of the 24 seats Democrats would need to take back the House.
The case (Gill v. Whitford) has been sent back for rearguement. Here's hoping it will be fixed by 2020.

So happy to have scientists, more women, etc.. representing us.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

elengil wrote:
Sunsilver wrote:So, Michigan legalized recreational pot! My friend from Detroit and I can now (legally) party together, regardless of whose home we're visiting in! :spin:
As a resident of a state which has had legal pot for several years now, just because it's legal does not mean you can get around an employment prohibition on it. So just be aware, you may still be able to be fired for a positive on a drug test through your company, if that's the kind of thing you need to consider.
elengil, I have never had a job where I had to submit to a drug test, and I am currently more or less retired, and Leslee is currently not working.

So, we can party as much as our hearts desire.

But what I posted is really kind of a joke, as neither one of us is into that sort of thing. And she has an impressionable teenage daughter, so she would not want to set a bad example for her.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Primula Baggins wrote:And in the United States, if the company you work for has any federal contracts, you're subject to random drug testing, and marijuana is still classified as an illegal drug at the federal level.

And marijuana stays detectable for months.
We only do them after an accident. Though there was a reportable accident in the warehouse last year and if testing happened the R&D team was not included (maybe they were afraid to look, though the joke's on them - we're a bunch of squares).
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I do the testing on our surgery patients, moms coming in to deliver babies, and any newborns whose mothers test positive. <--That is one of the least favorite parts of my job. (Of course, that testing includes more than THC, but that's the one I see the most.)

Ohio had an issue on the ballot to decrease jail time/sentencing for drug violations. It was a good idea, honestly, but I voted against it because it was put forth as an amendment to our constitution. That seemed problematic to me, with a strong possibility of unintended consequences, and the implementation of the idea would be better served by just passing some laws instead.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Lalaith wrote: the implementation of the idea would be better served by just passing some laws instead.
I vote against most amendments for this very reason. I think it's an awful way to use a constitution. 12 out of 13 of ours passed anyway though.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Your state does that weird bundling thing with its propositions, too. I find that very weird.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Ugh, yes. I posted the most egregiously silly one somewhere else - "Amendment #7 - do you want to ban offshore drilling AND public vaping?" I hates it. :nono:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

In an article that shocks literally no one anymore...
https://apnews.com/877ee1015f1c43f1965f ... leqvia0oWs
A computer server crucial to a lawsuit against Georgia election officials was quietly wiped clean by its custodians just after the suit was filed, The Associated Press has learned.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF