Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: Trump's America

Post by elengil »

What V said, but not behind a paywall - https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/26/politics ... index.html
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham added, "I worked with John Kelly, and he was totally unequipped to handle the genius of our great President."
I'm surprised she didn't say 'Supreme Leader'.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
elengil

Post by elengil »

:doh: :nono:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Yeah, that's a perfectly normal thing for a public servant to say in a democratic country and not ominous in any way.

So what did Kelly know that he had expected the impeachment?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Many former Trump adminstration officials have made similar ominous statements. Rex Tillerson said he'd often tell Trump, "you can't do that, it's illegal." Others have said they were the 'adults in the room'. I don't think Trump is familiar with following laws, proper governmental procedures, or checking his impulses.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's not that I want President Pence. I very much don't. But it boggles me that the so called conservatives would rather defend a president who requires adult supervision.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I don't think Trump is familiar with following laws...
And this is why I am *very* curious what laws he was breaking *before* he became the public focus. Because there is no way this is new behavior.
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:It's not that I want President Pence. I very much don't. But it boggles me that the so called conservatives would rather defend a president who requires adult supervision.
There seems to be an awful lot that they are willing to overlook that they would consider unacceptable (and rightly so) if a Democrat would have done it.
elengil wrote:And this is why I am *very* curious what laws he was breaking *before* he became the public focus. Because there is no way this is new behavior.
I know, right? There are a couple of articles on the web. Here's one from Politico. Another article from Vice.

I have a relative who hates Bill Clinton due to the fact that he cheated on his wife, but they are a devoted Trump follower.. I don't get that at all.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

This is some extremely hardcore schadenfreude here but dear lord this makes me happy:

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Would have liked to have been there and heard it in person! :clap: :clap:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Gave me a fit of giggles it did. :rofl: (edited for wrong emoji) :D

This is why he usually doesn't go to our do anything where he does not control or choose the audience.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

His face, though, when he realizes a whole baseball stadium is booing at him...

This isn't a campaign rally. No one was there for him. And it showed.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Donald Trump, and his supporters for that matter, is probably quite insulated in their cocoon of like-minded people. I wouldn't be surprised if Donald Trump genuinely believes that apart from the Democrats in Congress all of America loves him. He only preaches to his base at his rallies, when does he ever see the opposite nowadays? And likewise his supporters tend to be isolated in demographic locations and via partisan news sources from the people who don't care for Donald Trump as president. Then maybe it becomes easy to explain away the majority vote Hillary Clinton won as the real fraud ( "where are these people who voted for her? I don't know any!" ).

That lack of exposure to opposing viewpoints is not healthy thing for democracy, long-term. And it goes both ways, liberal enclaves form usually mocking, disparaging caricatures of what conservatives or Trump supporters are, or believe that he was elected by massive fraud because they don't know anyone who voted for him. Like I said before, I work with intelligent, compassionate, charitable, religious folk who also support Donald Trump. In my mind those attributes are mutually exclusive, but that's my mind talking, not theirs. There are millions and millions of people who see the world in such a way that they can live those lives and support Donald Trump.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

It's one thing for an average person to be 'insulated' but no good leader should ever be so thin-skinned that they can only handle adulation and praise and have to be surrounded by sycophants and 'yes' people that have to lavish him with praise. Trump views anyone who does not view him as 'great' and 'wise' and infallible as an Enemy, not as an American with rights a different viewpoint. That is not a good thing for a democracy.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Personally, I don't agree with the booing and particularly the lock him up chant. I think it just lowers the environment to the level set by him and many of his supporters.

We can be better than that.

We need to be better than that.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I won't argue that I'd be proud of it, but I also wouldn't apologize for wishing I could have been there to join the crowd. If getting taunted at a baseball game is the worst that he gets from all this, it is far less than he deserves.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

I agree completely, RoseMorninStar. I found the look on his face pretty interesting and it made me remember that mostly, Donald Trump is a pretty thin-skinned bully out of his comfort zone. Only at his rallies is he in the zone. I think he needs more reminders that he is not universally adored, not fewer.

V, at some point I think even the best people get tired of always having to put in the extra emotional labor of rising above pettiness, childishness, boorish, selfish behavior, you name it. In fact, always letting the bullies, the immature, the emotionally lazy get their way just help enable them. At some point, a shot of cold water in the face does a bully more good than all the "being better" in the world does.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

If the message is better than the recipient, the message goes unreceived. Sometimes, you have to adjust your tone and/or your language or you won't get through. Sometimes, you have to stand up to your abuser and you have to do it in a way they comprehend. If Trump understands the function or expression of civility he has never shown it with either his language or his behavior. But being booed rather than applauded? Oh yeah. He gets that alright.

Turning the other cheek works until you're out of cheeks.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm all in favor of impeaching him and prosecuting him to the full extent of the law for whatever crimes he has committed. There certainly appears to be evidence that suggests that he has done so.

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree with this opinion piece.

Why booing Donald Trump doesn't mean what you think it means