Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Frelga wrote:So now this.

".@ChrisRuddyNMX tells me Pres Trump is "considering perhaps terminating" Robert Mueller as special counsel"
Who is it who is saying "ChrisRuddyNMX tells me ... " and who is ChrisRuddyNMX?

Trump's attorney did say that Trump could consider firing Mueller at some point, but that is a bit different than saying he is considering perhaps doing so.

But after all, look at how well that worked out for Trickle Dickie.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Chris Ruddy is the CEO of Newsmax Media.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washing ... story.html
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Thank you. I did track down the information.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/12/politics/ ... index.html

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

While everyone is busy watching the official scandal (tm) Sessions is busy strengthening the federal war on marijuana.

Since the electorate and not the elected care about legalization, the Democrats who should be stopping him aren't even concerned enough to bother. They are following the official scandal(tm) instead.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: Health Care Reform

Another Emoluments Clause lawsuit has been filed, this one by almost 200 Democratic Congresspeople (At least 30 U.S. senators and 166 House Representatives). It appears that the basis of their argument for standing is that Congress is supposed to approve any payments from foreign governments.

Meanwhile, shots were fired at a group of GOP Congressman at a baseball practice in Virginia. House Majority Whip Steve Scalise was shot in the hip, and Rep. Roger Williams and multiple congressional aides were also hit before U.S. Capital Police shot the gunman. I've seen conflicting reports as to whether he was killed or taken into custody.
Voronwë the Faithful

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:While everyone is busy watching the official scandal (tm) Sessions is busy strengthening the federal war on marijuana.

Since the electorate and not the elected care about legalization, the Democrats who should be stopping him aren't even concerned enough to bother. They are following the official scandal(tm) instead.
I'm much more concerned about Sessions reversing the Obama administration's efforts to reverse decades of policies that led to extremely disparate sentencing practices resulting in long prison terms for people of color in comparison to white defendants than I am about legalization of marijuana. He and is compadres of tied the hands of long time justice department prosecutors by ordering them to seek mandatory minimum sentences rather than giving discretion to be fair.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I haven't been able to get a straight story yet, either. Just glad it wasn't worse; I've read that he had a rifle and lots of ammunition.

Frelga, don't worry about Stephen King; J. K. Rowling tweeted to him that she is going to DM him all of Trump's tweets. Weird times!
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I'm much more concerned about Sessions reversing the Obama administration's efforts to reverse decades of policies that led to extremely disparate sentencing practices resulting in long prison terms for people of color in comparison to white defendants than I am about legalization of marijuana.
I also found this very troubling, as IMO the extreme mandatory minimums are amongst the very worst injustices being committed by my govt. :(
Particularly frustrating since it had seemed like seeing those mandatory minimums as a bad thing was uncontroversial and not especially partisan. *sigh*
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

While I definitely believe late-term abortions are wrong, I also don't believe an early-stage zygote deserves the same rights as a human being. It can be re-absorbed, or flushed from the woman's body with the menstrual flow before she even knows she's pregnant.

However, the hypocrisy of many of the pro-lifers out there positively has me foaming at the mouth! :rage:

http://leftwingnation.org/hateful-hypoc ... -abortion/
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Primula Baggins wrote:Frelga, don't worry about Stephen King; J. K. Rowling tweeted to him that she is going to DM him all of Trump's tweets. Weird times!
Sheesh; what did King ever do to her?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It's devastating to the community. I suspect it is profitable for the private prisons.

So many things happening at once.

The Virginia shooter was reported to have died in the hospital. He was identified as a 66-year white man who used to volunteer for the Sanders campaign. Sanders has made a statement condemning the attack and calling for non-violent change.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/talalansari/he ... ect-in-the

Under #WTF - buzzfeed is now a respected source of timely and thoughtful reporting.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

That's exactly right, yov. And yet as C_G mentioned regarding the legalization issue (which is far less important to me), there has not been much of an outcry from anyone on either side of the aisle, which is extremely disturbing to me.

ETA: Thanks for the update on the shooting, Frelga. As you say, there is so much going on, it is hard to keep track.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

There's more info on the shooting in Virginia.

The shooter was a Bernie supporter, who stopped on the way into the stadium to ask if the players were Republicans or Democrats. He has made numerous statements about how it is time to "Destroy Trump & Co." He is a member of numerous left-leaning Facebook groups, including The Road To Hell Is Paved With Republicans; Rachel Maddow For President 2020; Sanders For President 2020; Terminate The Republican Party; and Donald Trump is not my President. Trump has already responded to this via Twitter saying "Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana, a true friend and patriot, was badly injured but will fully recover. Our thoughts and prayers are with him."

The victims all survived, but the shooter did not.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Damn it all.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cenedril_Gildinaur

If you want to end what is currently the most racist and classist policy of the US government (which is not to say the most racist or classist policy ever) then the drug war is that policy. If you oppose racism, then you should oppose the drug war.
-- Samuel Adams
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree.
Voronwë the Faithful

Multiple outlets are reporting that Robert Mueller, the special counsel, is now specifically investigating Trump and whether he is guilty of obstruction of justice.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Good.

(Imagining Trump staffers pushing him into the Oval Office Chief Executive Restroom while burning his phone)
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile, the RNC was building a list of talking points to discredit the investigation, mostly by casting the leaks to the press as the "real crime," not unlike OJ Simpson going off in search of real killers. The memo, of course, promptly leaked to the press.

Seth Abramson made a 100 tweet thread (what is this madness?) rebutting the RNC talking points, here https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status ... 3744804864

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

So, this cartoon seems even more appropriate today than when I first saw it! :(
Attachments
18767499_10155854413947080_618035446498508182_n.jpg
18767499_10155854413947080_618035446498508182_n.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 7130 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.