Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

But also less explosive than it could have been. I think it is clear that he is watering down Trump's efforts to get him to stop investigation the allegations of collusion with Russia on the election.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

“I need loyalty, I expect loyalty.”

:puke: :puke: :puke: :pullhair: :pullhair: :x :rage: :x :rage: :x :nono: :nono: :nono: :neutral: :puke: :puke: :puke:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It was not written to highlight those facts, no. But they're there.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes and no. He makes it clear that Trump tried to get him to stop investigating Flynn, but he definitely equivocates as to whether Trump was trying to interfere with the Russian investigation in general. I expect more equivocating when he is actually questioned tomorrow. And of course the Republicans are jumping all over the fact that he confirms that he did tell Trump that Trump was not personally being investigated.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:...he confirms that he did tell Trump that Trump was not personally being investigated.
...at the time of the dinner. A mere statement of the facts at the time, not a prediction nor a conclusion.

Trump was/is foolish to have asked him to make that statement public, because it follows that if the situation changed as facts emerged, Comey would have been obligated to front up to a mic at a later date and retract that statement - in the same way as he felt obligated to announce that the investigation into Clinton's emails had been reopened.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Senator blasts NSA chief: ‘What you feel isn’t relevant, admiral’
King, known as one of the Senate’s more genial members, reached a breaking point more than an hour into the hearing after Michael Rogers repeatedly refused to answer questions about whether President Trump tried to interfere in the FBI’s investigation into Russia’s actions and possible collusion with his campaign.
But is there any way to interpret the steadfast refusal to say "No he didn't," other than "Yes, he did"?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

So I read Comey's statement. Smoking gun? No. But I've got a feeling that if Comey's aware of a smoking gun he left it with the FBI. Maybe he told Mueller where to find it, assuming that he wouldn't violate his sense of propriety to do so. No matter what, clearly Comey was creeped out enough that he started documenting all the details after that first meeting and he baldly states that this isn't exactly his normal practice. I got the impression that in on of those conversations Trump came off with a "That's a nice job you've got there. Be a shame if something happened to it," vibe and that's not something a Director of the FBI will take lightly. I also felt like the gentleman doth protest too much about the hooker tape, but that might just be because I've got a foot in the gutter at all times.

Anyway, maybe not damning but definitely spooky.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

When the possibility that Trump had taped his conversations with Comey came up this morning, I liked Comey's response: "Lordy, I hope there are tapes."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful

River wrote:I got the impression that in on of those conversations Trump came off with a "That's a nice job you've got there. Be a shame if something happened to it," vibe and that's not something a Director of the FBI will take lightly.
It seems strange to me that very little of the commentary that I have seen has focused on the fact that Comey actually got fired, and that Trump specifically stated that it was because of the Russia investigation. That, to me, is the real smoking gun.

Anyway, Comey not surprisingly said that it was not for him to say whether Trump's actions amounted to obstruction of justice. He did, however, say that he took Trump's comment about Flynn as "direction". And he did say that he was sure that the special counsel, Robert Mueller (his predecessor as FBI director) is investigating whether Trump obstructed justice. That's probably the most important takeaway from today's hearing. But the most interesting may be that Comey said that he took notes about his meetings with Trump because of "the nature of the person."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It seems strange to me that very little of the commentary that I have seen has focused on the fact that Comey actually got fired, and that Trump specifically stated that it was because of the Russia investigation. That, to me, is the real smoking gun.
Oh god, I'd actually forgotten that just happened. The insanity moves so fast these days that it's hard to keep up.
(Not that I'm trying too hard to keep up, valuing my sanity as I do....)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote: (Not that I'm trying too hard to keep up, valuing my sanity as I do....)
Wise move, Grasshopper

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

538 pointed out that this was supposed to be the infrastructure week for Trump, something to take the country's mind off Russia and other "clouds". Instead, Comey.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Impenitent wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:...he confirms that he did tell Trump that Trump was not personally being investigated.
...at the time of the dinner. A mere statement of the facts at the time, not a prediction nor a conclusion.

Trump was/is foolish to have asked him to make that statement public, because it follows that if the situation changed as facts emerged, Comey would have been obligated to front up to a mic at a later date and retract that statement - in the same way as he felt obligated to announce that the investigation into Clinton's emails had been reopened.
And that's EXACTLY what Comey said in his testimony!

Oh, BTW, funniest thing I've read today: "I can definitely say the president is not a liar." — White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders' response to Comey's testimony :roll:

Trump has been caught lying SO often that a friend of mine recently posted on her FB wall that she now automatically disbelieves everything he says! :help:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

And while Cimey is dominating the news, the Republicans are quietly working on getting the (un)health bill through.

mobile.twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/872299293377519616

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful

Another day, another judicial loss for Trump and his Travel Ban™. A three judge panel of the Ninth Circuit unanimously affirmed the decision of Hawai'i District Court Judge Derick Watson (who was famously referred to by Attorney General Jeff Sessions as "a judge on an island in the Pacific") in an unsigned highly detailed 86-page decision. This is a completely different three judge panel than the one from the Ninth Circuit that affirmed the previous version of the Travel Ban™ and it follows a similar decision rejecting the latest version of the Travel Ban™ by en banc 13 judge panel of the Fourth Circuit, affirming a decision by a Maryland District Court judge. The Trump administration has asked the Supreme Court to immediately reinstate the Travel Ban™. I doubt very much that even this SCOTUS will do so.

Speaking of Jeff Sessions, he is going to publicly testify before the Senate Intelligence Committee tomorrow, to respond to some of the mean and nasty things that Comey said about him at Comey's own public testimony on Thursday. That should be interesting.
Voronwë the Faithful

Meanwhile, the District of Columbia and State of Maryland have sued Trump for allegedly violating the Emoluments Clause of the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits the president of the U.S. from receiving compensation from foreign governments, arguing that Trump's continued interest in his global real estate empire leaves him deeply enmeshed with many foreign governments. This is actually the third such suit filed, but the other two were filed by non-profit groups that will have trouble establishing standing. The District of Columbia and State of Maryland can argue that their state-owned convention centers have lost money to Trump-owned real estate enterprises that are foreign-enmeshed, making if much more likely that this action can proceed. And the attorneys general that filed the suit have stated that one of their first actions will be to force Trump to produce his long-withheld tax returns to determine to what extent is income is foreign-generated. That could be interesting (or maybe a whole lot of nothing).
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Thanks, Voronwë, for these lucid summaries of the fever dream we're stuck in.

I was only a young teen during Watergate, but I'm flashing back to those dark and uncertain days....
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Only in the US, before it was possible to take action against an elected official for foreign entanglements, would it first be necessary to prove that someone is losing money from the arrangement.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So now this.

".@ChrisRuddyNMX tells me Pres Trump is "considering perhaps terminating" Robert Mueller as special counsel"

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

River wrote:I got the impression that in on of those conversations Trump came off with a "That's a nice job you've got there. Be a shame if something happened to it," vibe and that's not something a Director of the FBI will take lightly.
Ah, vibes. People are able to determine so much about the intent and motivations of everyone in the Trump administration. Yet when Clinton deleted 35,000 emails and smashed a phone with a hammer, nobody could determine any intent.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams