Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Trump's America

Post by Primula Baggins »

Nestlé tried to build a bottling plant in Oregon a few years back and got repudiated by the local government (and people).
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The people repudiated it here too, but gerrymandering has put the entire state government into the hands of the GOP, so guess who won?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Primula Baggins wrote:Nestlé tried to build a bottling plant in Oregon a few years back and got repudiated by the local government (and people).
Same happened in upstate NY.

Prim, I still got a couple of formula bottles etc when checking out of the hospital. But the nurses and everyone were totally on board with breast feeding so I’m hoping those formula bottles have less influence.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

New York Magazine wonders if Trump has been a Russian asset since 1987, and lays out most of the case for collusion in the process:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... usion.html

Whatever you think about their conclusions, you don't often see original research and reporting of this caliber anymore.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

I think all the people accusing Trump of treason for talking to Putin are very entertaining.

A populist Democrat from Manhattan gets elected as a Republican and everyone loses their mind.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Trump just all-caps tweeted at Rouhani (but not @Rouhani), just about midnight East Coast time.
POTUS wrote:To Iranian President Rouhani: NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE. WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I was actually coming here to post that, but I was going to post in a new thread entitled, "This Is Truly Scary." I'm not sure what more than that I can say, other than to question whether the United States deserves whatever it gets for electing an unstable megalomaniac president.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Did Iran do something to bring on that reply? :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

They set him up with that Playboy model.

Just kidding. I think.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

Trump was responding to Iranian President Rouhani stating "America must understand well that peace with Iran is the mother of all peace and war with Iran is the mother of all wars."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:New York Magazine wonders if Trump has been a Russian asset since 1987, and lays out most of the case for collusion in the process:
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... usion.html

Whatever you think about their conclusions, you don't often see original research and reporting of this caliber anymore.
Collusion in plain sight.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I was actually coming here to post that, but I was going to post in a new thread entitled, "This Is Truly Scary." I'm not sure what more than that I can say, other than to question whether the United States deserves whatever it gets for electing an unstable megalomaniac president.
Yeah, that thread sounds like a really good idea right now.

https://twitter.com/christinawilkie/sta ... 9138764801
NEW: Russian hackers have penetrated U.S. electric utilities and are positioning themselves for an attack, reports @SmithRebecca https://t.co/DwXwBCzvy0 via @WSJ
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:Yeah, that thread sounds like a really good idea right now.
Arguably, it is implied in the current thread title.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Trump just now.

I hope this means GOP is ready to release the money to secure the election process.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180724-111642-01.jpeg.jpg
Screenshot_20180724-111642-01.jpeg.jpg (96.29 KiB) Viewed 5413 times

Voronwë the Faithful

That went hand in hand with Giuliani saying that Trump would agree to do an interview with Mueller so long as there was no questions about objection of justice. :rotfl:

(Do you know that your attachments in this thread and in the Russian investigation thread are very large and stretching the page?)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oops, no, I didn't. It looks fine in Tapatalk. Want me to edit it out?

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That text is just.. unreal Frelga. If people believe that I have some oceanfront property to sell them.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If people CAN believe that, after Trump's performance in Helsinki, they'll buy your property, Rose.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

** counting my rubles, I mean, dollars**
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There's a bridge across Moscow River I can sell you.