Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
RoseMorninStar

Re: Trump's America

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well, I still have to live with his crooked garbage. I hope he is voted out. Glenn Grothman can go too, along with several others.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Indeed. On that subject, one of the travesties of 2016 that got lost amid all the others was that Russ Feingold lost the election he was strongly favored to win.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The land of cheese is a woesome place without Russ.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Will he run again when there’s an opportunity?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

He is still very active in politics but I'm not sure he will run again. I think he is working on things such as getting Citizens United overturned, and also LegitAction which is working for voter rights and attempting to fix issues with the electoral college.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

JUST IN: Wisconsin GOP defies court order to hold special elections, will attempt to change law instead https://t.co/phI9yPBNBy https://t.co/HikOqBC6KW

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/977347294784704512
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well that doesn't surprise me. Walker is a snake. And another word I don't think I can put here. :rage:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Walker has pulled some funny business like this before here in Walkerstan. Something to do with illegal campaign financing. He's a snake.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I kind of like snakes. They are pretty little things, at least around here.

Can't you call politicians something more inventive? Like a methane bubble coming off a rotting slimy mud pit? Or the dog vomit that got spread around the room by your roomba?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On a related note, it cracks me up that the best the right-aligned trolls can come up for an insult is snowflake or social justice warrior. If I wanted to insult somebody, I'd call them a half-fart or a fungus infested toenail of an elderly baboon, or something.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Avalanches are made of individual snowflakes, so I always laugh when I hear the term.

Snake, Serpent, seems to work in the bible.
Definition 2
(also snake in the grass) a treacherous or deceitful person: that man is a cold-blooded snake.
Mostly however, I think he's a dolt (not very smart) and cunning and deceitful.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

RoseMorninStar wrote:Snake, Serpent, seems to work in the bible.
I'm unfamiliar with that book. :P

I agree, the usage is normal. I just think it's weird that what is essentially a legless lizard is so reviled. I like that they help keep the rodent population down in my barn. I'll go out of my way to avoid hurting them. And ever since my dummy egg disappeared out of my chicken house nest box last week, I've been worried that a poor snake might have swallowed it and is dying in agony somewhere and it's my fault. :bawl:
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Well, if he were eradicating rats/rodents at least he'd be of good use.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

@AP
BREAKING: Texas GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold abruptly resigns from Congress amid sexual misconduct allegations.
I don't know if there is any hope for a Democrat in that district.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Democrat/Republican, I wish we could get moderate candidates who don't ONLY play to an extreme base. It's not good for our country. They (the politicians) have to act like they represent all American citizens in their district and not just their 'base'. That goes for local, state, federal all the way up to the White House. They can stop being such hypocrites while they're at it.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile, Sanders posted this photo, claiming that it was Trump being briefed on Syria. One might assume that, as she says "last night", that's when the photo was taken, except that Pence was in Peru.

Also, who is the guy who's snickering by the wall?
Screenshot_20180415-090107-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20180415-090107-01.jpeg (64.95 KiB) Viewed 8015 times

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!

Or perhaps the more childish but satisfying 'Liar, liar, pants on fire'.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Sometimes, they don't lie. Oddly enough, that doesn't improve things.

@ABC
Counselor to the president Kellyanne Conway slams former FBI Dir. James Comey: "This guy swung an election," she told @ABC's @GStephanopoulos. “He thought the wrong person would win.”
https://t.co/Myz7ZNighv
https://t.co/BXR0fj4Mfe

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Based on Justice Kennedy's comments during oral argument today, it seems highly likely that Trump's mostly-Muslim travel ban will be upheld.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Then maybe we can call it what it is instead of a Muslim travel ban. Accuracy, V.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams