Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

It's too early to start a 2020 election thread (probably not actually) and I certainly don't want to do so with this joker, so I'll just put this here.

Michael Avenatti Says He Won’t Run For President After All

As Nate Silver (who apparently is about as much of a fan of Avenatti is as I am), said "He would have lost badly and embarrassed himself" but we didn't need that distraction. The Democrats need someone who has integrity and experience, not a Trump clone in reverse.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I agree 100%. We don't need another ego-inflated narcissist. The one we have is disaster enough.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

OopsImage

ETA: research shows this is at least a year old, which makes me wonder whether it's real at all
Last edited by Dave_LF on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oops, Dave! :whistle:

I listened to the latest "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" on my walk this afternoon (U.S. public radio comedic quiz show on news of the current week), and it included a new feature called the "Trump Dump," where a purported Trump statement or action was described to each panelist in turn, and they were asked to decide whether Trump actually said or did this thing over the course of the previous week.

They all did terribly. We now live in a surreal world where the truth about our president's behavior can be worse than seems probable or even possible. :roll:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Oh my gosh Dave... that is hilarious! :rofl:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

WaPo
Rex Tillerson: “So often, the president would say, ‘Here’s what I want to do, and here’s how I want to do it.' And I would have to say to him, 'Mr. President, I understand what you want to do, but you can’t do it that way. It violates the law.'” https://t.co/B7yC5ZrYQu
:Q :Q :Q
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I was just coming here to post about that. Here's another article, from Newsweek.

DONALD TRUMP WANTED TO DO ILLEGAL THINGS HE DIDN'T UNDERSTAND WERE ILLEGAL, REX TILLERSON SAYS
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Witch Hunt!!!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

After the CNN bomb scare we get tweets about media being the 'enemy of the people'. He is going to get someone killed. And he doesn't care.

Undisciplined. Entitled. He is not only oblivious to the law, he believes he is above the law. A dictator.
Last edited by RoseMorninStar on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:Witch Hunt!!!
Which hunt?

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar wrote:After the CNN bomb scare we get tweets about media being the 'enemy of the people'. He is going to get someone killed. And he doesn't care.
He already did. Twelve people in Pittsburgh were murdered by a man quoting Trump's lies about Soros funding the migrant caravan. That's just the most recent, most directly attributable murder.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

:cry: Yes.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile, Trump responds to Tillerson. I screenshot it because you weren't going to believe me otherwise.
Screenshot_20181207-124642.jpeg
Screenshot_20181207-124642.jpeg (79.02 KiB) Viewed 6130 times

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Actually, I probably wouldn't have believed you if you told me that he didn't respond by tweeting insults at Rex.
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I used to think the saying "Money can't buy class" was terribly classist. Then Trump happened and I realized that not only can class not be bought, it apparently can't even be inherited. Yeesh.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful

River wrote:I used to think the saying "Money can't buy class" was terribly classist. Then Trump happened and I realized that not only can class not be bought, it apparently can't even be inherited. Yeesh.
I don't know, by all accounts it appears that Mr. Trump inherited his "class" from his father, about whose racism (as someone else noted somewhere here not that long ago) Woodie Guthrie sang about. And it certainly seems that Mr. Trump's children, particularly his namesake son, follow in the same footsteps.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Wow. Just wow.
It wouldn't surprise me should he crash & burn (so to speak) but that people are still backing him, covering up for him, that's a head-scratcher.

I guess he also tweeted (I'm not on Twitter) that he thinks today was a great day that vindicated him. Um.. no, I don't think so..
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

538 wrote: A Selzer & Co. national poll conducted Nov. 24-27 for Grinnell College found that Trump had a 43 percent approval rating and a 45 percent disapproval rating among all adults. However, his support isn’t distributed equally across different types of communities. He’s enormously popular among residents of rural areas, with a 61 percent approval rating and a 26 percent disapproval rating. In small towns, that breakdown is 44 percent approve vs. 42 percent disapprove. But in suburban areas, only 41 percent of residents approve of the job that Trump is doing as president, while 50 percent disapprove. Trump’s approval rating is lowest among urbanites — 31 percent approve of him while 59 percent disapprove.

I feel like the urban vs rural cultural divide is something that doesn't get enough attention and discussion.
-The Decemberists

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I read an article in the last few days that sited a study (I can't recall where I read it or I would link it) that stated something similar yov, but it also broke it down along racial lines. Rural tends to be older, whiter/urban tends to be younger and multi-cultural and not so afraid of 'the browning of America'. I live in one of those older/whiter small towns. If not for a racial component, I really don't get the support for Trump. There seems (to me) to be a blindness that some are willing to accept all sorts of things from Trump (& Co.) that would NEVER fly from a Democratic counterpart.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
River wrote:I used to think the saying "Money can't buy class" was terribly classist. Then Trump happened and I realized that not only can class not be bought, it apparently can't even be inherited. Yeesh.
I don't know, by all accounts it appears that Mr. Trump inherited his "class" from his father, about whose racism (as someone else noted somewhere here not that long ago) Woodie Guthrie sang about. And it certainly seems that Mr. Trump's children, particularly his namesake son, follow in the same footsteps.
http://thehalloffire.net/forum/viewtopi ... dy+guthrie :(
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.