Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Sunsilver

Re: Trump's America

Post by Sunsilver »

:rage: Liar!! :x He claimed he'd do 'everything possible' to protect the rights of gays and transgender people!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 152fdf3664
During the presidential campaign, Trump had pitched himself as a greater defender of the LGBT community than his rival, Hillary Clinton.

“Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hillary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs,” he wrote on June 14, 2016.
And here he is holding up the LGBT rainbow flag during his campaign: http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-pr ... hts-630228

You know, I sometimes wonder if I'm being too hard on the man, because of my choices of news sources which may be biased against him. Then stuff like this happens... :rage:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

At times like this, I wish the board censor would be turned off for a bit. The allowed words aren't fitting.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

:( :hug:

I feel for you, Yov.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

This article goes a long way towards explaining the Trump/Russia mess! Some telling quotes from Bill Browder, who was attempting to fight corruption in the Russian stock market; from his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Commitee:
Russia has a well-known reputation for corruption; unfortunately, I discovered that it was far worse than many had thought. While working in Moscow I learned that Russian oligarchs stole from shareholders, which included the fund I advised. Consequently, I had an interest in fighting this endemic corruption, so my firm started doing detailed research on exactly how the oligarchs stole the vast amounts of money that they did.
Hmmm....makes one wonder if Trump has maybe been taking lessons from the Russian oligarchs??

Putin went along with Browder's efforts, until the richest man in Russia was charged with corruption:
That all changed in July 2003, when Putin arrested Russia’s biggest oligarch and richest man, Mikhail Khodorkovsky. Putin grabbed Khodorkovsky off his private jet, took him back to Moscow, put him on trial, and allowed television cameras to film Khodorkovsky sitting in a cage right in the middle of the courtroom. That image was extremely powerful, because none of the other oligarchs wanted to be in the same position. After Khodorkovsky’s conviction, the other oligarchs went to Putin and asked him what they needed to do to avoid sitting in the same cage as Khodorkovsky. From what followed, it appeared that Putin’s answer was, “Fifty percent.” He wasn’t saying 50 percent for the Russian government or the presidential administration of Russia, but 50 percent for Vladimir Putin personally. From that moment on, Putin became the biggest oligarch in Russia and the richest man in the world, and my anti-corruption activities would no longer be tolerated.
Browder was stopped at the airport, and deported. Eighteen months later, his Moscow offices were raided by Ministry of the Interior officials.

Browder assigned the smartest lawyer he knew to investigate what was going on. Partway through the investigation, the lawyer, Sergei Magnitsky, was arrested, and eventually, after prolonged deprivation, beatings and mistreatment, died in prison when denied medical care for gallstones and pancreatitis. Those responsible for his treatment and death have mostly been exonerated by the Russian judicial system.

Read all about it, and weep... :cry: Since then, several others who have tried to get justice for Magnitsky have died or been poisoned, and Browder has frequently received death threats.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ee/534864/

Oh, and the documents seized from Browder's office?
The documents seized by the Interior Ministry were used to fraudulently re-register our Russian investment holding companies to a man named Viktor Markelov, a known criminal convicted of manslaughter. After more digging, Sergei discovered that the stolen companies were used by the perpetrators to misappropriate $230 million of taxes that our companies had paid to the Russian government in the previous year.
Last edited by Sunsilver on Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I just wanted to point out for perspective's sake, that the longstanding ban on transgendered people serving in the military was only lifted by Pres. Obama last year. 2016. So this announcement by Trump isn't something unique to his administration, by any means.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Yes, that's true. And at the time, many Republicans opposed lifting the ban:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... onths.html
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's true. It worries me most as a sign of the kinds of people that he is now listening to as not long ago (as Sunny posted) he showed no interested in going after these kinds of issues.
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

There are currently Congressional Republicans opposing reinstatement of the ban. There were also Congressional Republicans who favored reinstatement of the ban and wanted White House support so badly they threatened funding for the border wall. So they go what they wanted in Trump's usuall haphazard, ham-handed style. I suppose it was a nice, quick break from cyber-bullying the AG and DoJ but from a bureaucratic angle it's a total mess. The US military is enormous and enormous organizations don't pivot easily. Also, is an edict by tweet actually binding?

All that aside, there probably are some very legit concerns to having trans-people in the military who are pre-transition or in the process of transitioning. I know someone going through the whole thing - first coming to understand he's actually a she and then starting hormone therapy and so on. It ain't trivial. The whole process is as much a medical event as it is a social one. Not everyone responds the same. For both physical and psychological reasons, the whole ordeal could absolutely affect someone's ability to serve, depending on what they do and how they do it. But it sounds like the military was on track with getting all these questions sorted out.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

uploadfromtaptalk1501100975712.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1501100975712.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 8183 times
River, that's a point, although I'm sure there are rules for military personnel undergoing various medical procedures that can be applied in this case.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

And I suspect those are the rules that are being applied to trans military personnel.

The quote strikes me as an attempt to justify Trump's outburst, not as an actual strategy. It seems like if it were an actual strategy you wouldn't have the likes of Orrin Hatch pushing back against it.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

McCain's office has issued a retraction. Trump cannot ban trans military personnel via Twitter! :roll:
“The President’s tweet this morning regarding transgender Americans in the military is yet another example of why major policy announcements should not be made via Twitter.

“The statement was unclear. The Department of Defense has already decided to allow currently-serving transgender individuals to stay in the military, and many are serving honorably today. Any American who meets current medical and readiness standards should be allowed to continue serving. There is no reason to force service members who are able to fight, train, and deploy to leave the military—regardless of their gender identity. We should all be guided by the principle that any American who wants to serve our country and is able to meet the standards should have the opportunity to do so—and should be treated as the patriots they are.

“The Department of Defense is currently conducting a study on the medical obligations it would incur, the impact on military readiness, and related questions associated with the accession of transgender individuals who are not currently serving in uniform and wish to join the military. I do not believe that any new policy decision is appropriate until that study is complete and thoroughly reviewed by the Secretary of Defense, our military leadership, and the Congress.

“The Senate Armed Services Committee will continue to follow closely and conduct oversight on the issue of transgender individuals serving in the military.”
Whew. But WHAT AN IDIOTIC THING FOR TRUMP TO DO!! :x Will someone PLEASE take his cell phone away and lock it up??
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

He is a horrible, horrible person. :(
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Thank you, McCain.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Do his words have any official weight? I'm pleased he is speaking up regardless, but does it make a practical difference?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

No. It is in the purview of the executive branch, not Congress

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Sunsilver wrote:Will someone PLEASE take his cell phone away and lock it up??
But maybe it's a good thing he has a consequence-free way to vent.
Buzzfeed wrote:At the Pentagon, the first of the three tweets raised fears that the president was getting ready to announce strikes on North Korea or some other military action. Many said they were left in suspense for nine minutes, the time between the first and second tweet.
Oh.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So. Scaramucci. That seems fun.

#MAGA
-The Decemberists

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I haven't been following the Scaramucci thing. I tried. I just couldn't. It's been too ridiculous. I can't decide if Scaramucci wormed his way so he could toss some gasoline on the dumpster fire or if he was deployed to try and force the likes of Priebus and Bannon out. Because, you know, Trump is powerless over his own staff...

Run the government like a business my @$$. This is not how a business runs. At least, not a business that wants to stay in business.

The Pentagon response to the new transgender policy is "We're waiting to hear what Mattis says."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Am I in a coma? Is all this just my brain trying to wake itself up?
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Yes, you're really freezing cold with the blankets tangled around your legs, and you have to pee. Now wake the hell up already! :x

I can only watch politics with comedians/commentators like Stephen Colbert or Seth Myers (Meyers?). John Oliver is awesome if I can catch him. Seth does a great job, I think. Otherwise, I can't watch the news.