Trump's America

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Trump's America

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Meanwhile, a 13 judge en banc panel from the Fourth Circuit of the Court of Appeals has ruled 10-3 that the revised travel ban is unconstitutional, with the chief judge of the court writing in the majority opinion that the executive order “speaks with vague words of national security, but in context drips with religious intolerance, animus, and discrimination.”

Next stop, SCOTUS, where Neil Gorsuch is likely to show why Trump nominated him. :(
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Meanwhile-meanwhile, it appears that Donald Trump's brand new personal Russia Investigation lawyer found some time to threaten Berkeley Breathed for posting photoshopped pictures of Donald Trump wearning Bloom County swag. 'cause that's serious business, ya know.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Apparently, there are strange flashing red lights at the White House. Is the One Ring being forged?

https://twitter.com/RobbinSimmons7/stat ... 2168115200
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Covfefe!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

My favorite tweet on this vital issue last night was from Lord Covfefe the Strong: "I am summoned to your world. I know not why."
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

For the word lovers, here's a wonderful thread on the linguistics of covfefe. https://twitter.com/GretchenAMcC/status ... 3068898304
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Frelga wrote:@ACLU is live tweeting the Muslim Ban 2.0 court case and it's beautiful.

Eta:
And @MordorNPS, the Mordor National Park account, is live tweeting the Sally Yates testimony.
It's not a "Muslim Ban" and those who call it such damage their own credibility. It is a 3 month suspension (not a ban) on travelers of any faith (not just Muslims) from several specific countries on a list created by President Obama. Muslims (as well as people of other faiths) from countries not on that list are neither suspended nor banned.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Yes, and it was not "Death Panels" either, to pluck something similar, but from the conservative side instead of the liberal side, off the top of my head.

And so on and so forth. Characterizing a political or philosophical opponent's position in an inaccurate / more evil / shorthand / etc fashion is hardly new, and also, in my opinion, one of the reasons having a discussion in anything but an echo chamber seem to quickly devolve into finger pointing, insults, and general weasel wording and maneuvering these days. The two sides cannot have meaningful discussion because they do not share a common vocabulary. They don't understand each other's shorthand. It takes effort to understand someone else and to straighten out the crooked paths, and people typically avoid effort.

And I bet if I looked, somewhere some Roman complained about this same thing a few thousand years ago. :P
Voronwë the Faithful

It absolutely is a "Muslim ban." it just is not the total and complete ban on Muslim's that Trump originally wanted. There is abundant evidence, convincing to the vast majority of judges appointed from both parties that have looked at both versions of the travel bans, that the purpose of both executive orders was to accomplish as much of the goal of a ban on Muslim immigration as possible. As such, it is not inaccurate to call it a "Muslim ban."

Death Panels, on the other hand, never existed in any shape or form.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Griffon64 wrote:Yes, and it was not "Death Panels" either, to pluck something similar, but from the conservative side instead of the liberal side, off the top of my head.
You're right. The conservatives were as guilty when they said "death panel" as the liberals are guilty when they say "muslim ban".
Griffon64 wrote:Characterizing a political or philosophical opponent's position in an inaccurate / more evil / shorthand / etc fashion is hardly new, and also, in my opinion, one of the reasons having a discussion in anything but an echo chamber seem to quickly devolve into finger pointing, insults, and general weasel wording and maneuvering these days. The two sides cannot have meaningful discussion because they do not share a common vocabulary. They don't understand each other's shorthand. It takes effort to understand someone else and to straighten out the crooked paths, and people typically avoid effort.
That's why I so dislike such shorthand. It's too easy, and as a result political discussion generally devolves into "omg he made a typo" instead of any substantive discussion.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Didn't Prince record a song about a little red covfefe?
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:That's why I so dislike such shorthand. It's too easy, and as a result political discussion generally devolves into "omg he made a typo" instead of any substantive discussion.
It's pretty absurd to say that there hasn't been an enormous amount of very substantive discussion around the President just because people think "convfefe" is funny.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I just read (part of, what I thought was) the most ridiculous article in defense of the bloody severed head display of the President by comedian Kathy Griffin. My question is, wouldn't we here have been upset if, say Ann Coulter or Sarah Palin, had displayed a bloody, severed head of Pres. Obama?
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I haven't paid much attn to it but I thought I saw somewhere that Griffin herself had apologized for it, no?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Cerin

Post by Cerin »

I believe she did apologize, but this writer thought that (the apology) was a sad and pathetic spectacle and an affront to freedom of speech.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Yes, we would have been as upset had it been Obama. In fact when people put up similarly offensive displays there was similar outrage with just one additional element - it was also called racist.

That's why those protesting Obama started to police their own ranks about what was acceptable and unacceptable (note I said "started to" and not "did") when protesting Obama.

-- Samuel Adams
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

So Trump pulled out of the Paris Climate Accord. Two other countries did not sign. Nicaragua, which is on track to reach 90% renewable energy by 2020, felt the Accord does not go nearly far enough. The other country is Syria, 'nuff said.

While the main reason Trump cited was to fulfill a campaign promise, a Yale survey found that a majority of Americans in every state say that the United States should participate in the Paris Climate Agreement. Almost half of Trump’s voters supports participation in the Accord compared to 28% who do not.

Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

The latest story related to the Trump-Russia scandal(s) nicely illustrates a problem I'm going to struggle with repeatedly moving forward: how in the world am I supposed to take someone seriously when her name is Reality Winner?

Luckily, it's getting harder and harder to take anything seriously to begin with.
Voronwë the Faithful

The Senate Intelligence Committee has posted James Comey's opening statement on their website in anticipation of his testimony tomorrow. It makes for interesting reading:

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sit ... 060817.pdf
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Very interesting indeed. It casts a clearer light on both Comey's previous public statements and Trump's. Much less potentially reassuring to Trump than I expected.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King