Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is dead

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
River
bioalchemist

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is dead

Post by River »

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Scalia dead: Texas governor
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, 79, has died, Texas Governor Greg Abbott said.

In a statement, Abbott extended his "deepest condolences" to Scalia's family.

The San Antonio News-Express said Scalia had apparently died of natural causes while visiting a luxury resort in West Texas.

Scalia, appointed to the top U.S. court in 1986 by President Ronald Reagan, was known for his strident conservative views and theatrical flair in the courtroom.

His death comes as the court is set to hear its first major abortion case in nearly 10 years, and ahead of key cases on voting rights, affirmative action and immigration.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
superwizard
Ingólemo

Re: Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is dead

Post by superwizard »

My condolences to his family.

I am very curious to see what happens next in this rather 'West Wing'-like situation. V, do you know if it is possible for the senate to hold off on confirming someone for approximately a year? I expect John Dickerson will bring this up in tonight's Republican debate.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

i just saw this on the news. I, too, am curious how this will turn out. And my condolences to his family.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mitch McConnell has already said that the appointment should be made by the next President.

And I am sorry to hear this, of course. It must have been completely unexpected—that's very sad.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Can it wait till the next president? What's the protocol on that?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It can be obstructed indefinitely, I believe. And of course the Republicans will do it if they can; then there's a chance that the replacement will be nominated by a Republican president.

I wonder what the law is regarding a tied Supreme Court? Many upcoming decisions that were expected to be 5-4 for the conservatives will now likely be 4-4.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Holy shit!

Pardon my French.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Clearly it should not wait for the next president, with almost a full year left in Obama's term. Just as clearly, the GOP is not going to confirm anyone that Obama appoints.

I mourn the man, and his giant intellect, and my sympathy goes out to those who loved him, including his colleagues, particularly (incongruently) Ruth Bader Ginsberg. I do not mourn the decisions that he no longer will be contributing to (though it remains to be seen how much of a difference it will make in upcoming decisions; for instance the immigration case is an appeal of a conservative decision, so a 4-4 decision would be the same as a 5-4 decision; only cases involving appeals of a decisions that Justice Scalia would have been likely to have overturned will be affected in the short term, other than the influence he may have had on Kennedy or Roberts). I'm afraid of the turmoil that this will cause moving forward. And it likely makes the importance of the presidential election all the more urgent.

ETA: Just to be clear, although I think the rambling sentence above answers Primula's question, in a 4-4 decision the ruling of the lower court being reviewed stands unchanged.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I was very curious on what your reaction would be, Voronwë.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Primula Baggins wrote:Mitch McConnell has already said that the appointment should be made by the next President.

And I am sorry to hear this, of course. It must have been completely unexpected—that's very sad.
Apparently, he died in his sleep after a day of hunting. It's not a bad way to go, considering, and I hope his loved ones find some comfort in that.

It would serve McConnell right if the appointment ends up made by President Sanders. I doubt it will, but it would serve him right.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Lalaith wrote:I was very curious on what your reaction would be, Voronwë.
I found out by opening this thread after returning from a rather longish bike ride. Hence my rather raw reaction.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Like we needed this election season to get more contentious.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Or more important.

Voronwë, your reaction is the same as mine was, when Tom read me out the news from Twitter. It's a stunning development—a real "What next?" moment.

Some of the decisions in the hopper for this year are significant ones.
Voronwë the Faithful

This article gives a pretty good summary of the potential short-term consequences.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/0 ... ias-death/

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

That was interesting. I didn't realize that an even split would cause a default to the lower court rulings. While I was thinking that Scalia's death is bad news for conservatives if Obama appoints a liberal (speaking in broad terms here), I can see now how Scalia's death and any subsequent ties on the Supreme Court in the interim of appointing a new justice can work in favor of either "side."

Wow. That's big.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://plus.google.com/+AndreasSchou/posts/GLrzn2mE52V

Andreas Schou, my other Google+ source, suggested that nominating Richard Posner would be a good move.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Things continue to get more and more interesting on the political front in the US.

Yes...interesting, indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

superwizard
Ingólemo

Post by superwizard »

SCOTUSblog has addressed the question of whether a recess appointment would be possible here: http://www.scotusblog.com/2016/02/is-a- ... an-option/

I thought it was distasteful for so many republicans to immediately state that there was no possible way they would confirm of a supreme court justice of Obama's approval even before any names were floated. I am not very optimistic that this seat will be filled any time soon...
Voronwë the Faithful

I'm not either, S'wiz (did I mention that I was happy to see you here?), but I also think that blocking a nominee could (maybe) become an electoral albatross around the collective necks of the GOP that might result in them losing not only the presidency but perhaps the Senate as well. In which case they might end up with a more liberal justice than Sri Srinivasan, who has been rumored to be Obama's first choice if he had a nomination, and who was approved by the Senate unanimously (97-0, with 3 absent) when he was appointed to the Court of Appeals in 2013 (those voting in favor of him were Cruz and Rubio).
Voronwë the Faithful

Tom Goldstein of the SCOTUSBLOG now thinks that Obama will nominate Attorney General Loretta Lynch and that she will get a vote and be defeated on a party vote.

I doubt he is right, much as I respected him as probably the preeminent Court watcher.