Gun Control Debate

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Gun Control Debate

Post by Frelga »

Well, this is definitely a novel approach from our President.

@CNN
"Take the guns first. Go through due process second," President Trump says at a meeting with bipartisan lawmakers. "I like taking the guns early." https://t.co/lQkq3krCWs https://t.co/0iPywBQ66b
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I sense an apocalyptic meltdown of HUGE proportions on the horizon.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Imagine if Obama said that.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Imagine if Obama said that.
Imagine if Obama had 5 children by 3 different wives (2 of whom were foreign-born). Imagine if Obama had hired inexperienced and incompetent (and compromised) family for top White House jobs. Imagine Obama had talked about grabbing women by their private parts. Imagine Obama had business dealings all over the world (many with shady ties) from which he never fully divested/is still involved in Internation business. Imagine if Obama hired people who were so obviously unprofessional, incompetent, and inexperienced. Imagine had Obama's cabinet members spent so lavishly on travel. Oh, the list goes on & on.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And just in case anybody thought that arming teachers is a good idea.

Georgia teacher fires gun in empty classroom
Jesse Randall Davidson, 53, locked his students in the hallway and fired a shot when the principal opened the door, according to US media reports.

No students were hurt by the alleged gunfire but one sprained her ankle.

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Frelga wrote:Well, this is definitely a novel approach from our President.

@CNN
"Take the guns first. Go through due process second," President Trump says at a meeting with bipartisan lawmakers. "I like taking the guns early." https://t.co/lQkq3krCWs https://t.co/0iPywBQ66b
Republican Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska, who was not at the bipartisan meeting, slammed Trump's statement.
"We're not ditching any constitutional protections simply because the last person the President talked to today doesn't like them," he said.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/politics ... index.html

Wow. Republican lawmaker in effect calling Trump fickle.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Well; he said something bad about guns. Coddling neo-Nazis and colluding with despots is one thing, but going after guns is just taking it too far.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Remember the last televised bipartisan meeting Trump had, about immigration? When he said that he would sign anything that the bipartisan group came up with, and then proceeded to torpedo every bipartisan proposal? While see if this ends up being any different.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dave_LF wrote:Well; he said something bad about guns. Coddling neo-Nazis and colluding with despots is one thing, but going after guns is just taking it too far.
This was my thought. Exactly.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Maria wrote:
Republican Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska, who was not at the bipartisan meeting, slammed Trump's statement.
"We're not ditching any constitutional protections simply because the last person the President talked to today doesn't like them," he said.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/28/politics ... index.html
I've heard this "what comes out of Trump's mouth is whatever the last person he talked to said" thing a lot. If nothing else it certainly points to how empty the space between his ears is. You stroke his ego and give him his words, and he'll parrot them out for you. He's a stimulus-response machine with a bad paint job.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I believe the technical term for that is 'puppet'.

*sigh*
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

Griffon64 wrote:I've heard this "what comes out of Trump's mouth is whatever the last person he talked to said" thing a lot. If nothing else it certainly points to how empty the space between his ears is. You stroke his ego and give him his words, and he'll parrot them out for you. He's a stimulus-response machine with a bad paint job.
WaPo pulled a bunch of receipts on this topic last year. We've seen it more recently too, such as with DACA, as Voronwë pointed out. It's a well-established trend; was even during the campaign TBH.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... c3a97830a5

And whaddaya know, the last person Trump talked to today was the director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action:
Chris Cox wrote:I had a great meeting tonight with @realDonaldTrump & @VP. We all want safe schools, mental health reform and to keep guns away from dangerous people. POTUS & VPOTUS support the Second Amendment, support strong due process and don’t want gun control. #NRA #MAGA
https://twitter.com/ChrisCoxNRA/status/ ... 5611333632
Donald Trump wrote:Good (Great) meeting in the Oval Office tonight with the NRA!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 5308747777
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:bang: :bang: :bang:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Here's an informative compilation from the NYT

How to buy a gun in 15 countries

Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Frelga wrote:Well, this is definitely a novel approach from our President.

@CNN
Yes. That's what Trump said.

A few months ago a friend of mine noted the mess in the two parties. He jokingly said that since Democrats are against everything Trump says, then Trump should come out in favor of gun control to see what they do.

Well, now we know.

Trump came out in the wrong way. So the focus is entirely on how he's doing it wrong instead of commenting on what he's doing.

And he is doing it wrong. The American way is to strangle through regulation the ability to acquire firearms, not to actually take them away from those who already have them.

I've seen the Republican response. I'm waiting for Democrat content on the goal, not the method.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I have not heard anyone think this ("Take the guns first. Go through due process second,") is a good idea. However, I do not read stuff from far right or far left sources. I am sure there are people out there who have that view, but I would think it would not be a mainstream view. What I took away from this (and from many of his other off the cuff remarks) is that he does not understand our constitution. He does not understand our laws. And he doesn't care that he does not know or understand these things.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Here is an article some might find interesting from Slate: Why conservatives are so obsessed with guns

I caught a short clip from Bill Maher's show (I don't usually watch his show but there was a short clip from the 'after show' in an article I was reading). His guest panel had a couple of survivors/students (David Hogg & Cameron Kasky) from the Stoneman Douglas school, Eric Holder and John Meacham. Eric Holder gave some interesting advice to the students. (To paraphrase) He told them if they were serious about activism to affect change they needed to focus on the 1996 Dickey Amendment which bans research on gun violence.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Rose, I didn't fully realize just how evil and powerful the NRA was until I heard about the Dickey amendment! :x I was pretty shocked when I found out. How COULD this be allowed? :shock:
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

RoseMorninStar wrote:I have not heard anyone think this ("Take the guns first. Go through due process second,") is a good idea. However, I do not read stuff from far right or far left sources. I am sure there are people out there who have that view, but I would think it would not be a mainstream view.
I also try to stay to the center, although it's a pretty small group these days. The mainstream media is trying a balancing act to preserve access or readership, or because of who they are owned by. I do follow people on Twitter who may be said to be to the left of mainstream if only because the mainstream is pretty far to the right. Point being, LITERALLY no one is suggesting taking legally owned guns without due process, unless it's someone so fringe that I've never heard of them. Or a Russian troll.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Or the President.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."