Gun Control Debate

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Re: Gun Control Debate

Post by Impenitent »

The gun lobby in Australia has learned from the success of the US gun lobby, and is now quietly supporting political candidates through financial donations and advertising, without any mention of fireatms anywhere.
Stealth and subterfuge.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I'm sorry to hear that, Impy. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

:nono: My state.... :nono:
Bill would require some Missourians to own an AR-15
https://www.komu.com/news/bill-would-re ... n-an-ar-15

There's no way it'll pass, but this is embarrassing. :oops:
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Maria wrote::nono: My state.... :nono:

Remember: you need to own a gun, but only the 'right people' should be allowed to vote. :nono:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We're in New Zealand at the moment, not in Christchurch (we were there last week). The difference in news coverage of this tragedy isi interesting. I'm still taking it all in. The last mass shooting/murder in New Zealand was in the 1990's. The desensitization in the US and acceptance of gun violence should be more shocking and unacceptable
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Maria wrote::nono: My state.... :nono:

https://splinternews.com/lawmaker-my-gu ... 1833326426
“I merely planned for media to write about it but would ultimately amend it to take out the mandates and requirements (age and type of gun) and turn it into a gun tax credit bill,” McDaniel told Splinter in an email.

Essentially, McDaniel just wanted the press to give his insane-sounding legislation a signal boost so his slightly less insane proposal—the tax credits—gets some free press. Missouri, by the way, boasts the seventh-highest rate of gun violence in the country, which costs residents an estimated $1.9 billion dollars each year. Nevertheless, McDaniel has decided his time as an elected official is best spent trolling the people in his state.

It’s not very often that a politician makes it so clear just how full of shit they are.
Highlight mine.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Meanwhile New Zealand decided not to go with the "thoughts and prayers" approach, presumably after examining its track record in the US.

Reuters
BREAKING: New Zealand bans military-style semi-automatics and assault rifles https://t.co/U27HSuxday

LIVE: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says expectation law will be in place by April 11 https://t.co/CP3Kw38g7C

MORE: New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says buy-back scheme will be established for banned weapons https://t.co/ua0OgTEO9J https://t.co/JtUTDTiKci
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Frelga wrote:Meanwhile New Zealand decided not to go with the "thoughts and prayers" approach, presumably after examining its track record in the US.
Heh.

I find the 'Christian Right' and guns odd bedfellows, but they seem quite comfortable with it.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have no problem with "thoughts and prayers" so long as they are not substituted for real, effective steps like banning military-style semi-automatics and assault rifles. The two are not mutually exclusive.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I have no problem with "thoughts and prayers" so long as they are not substituted for real, effective steps like banning military-style semi-automatics and assault rifles. The two are not mutually exclusive.
No, there is nothing wrong with thoughts and prayers but it has become something of a joke, hasn't it? It rings hollow. Lip service. An excuse for inaction.

Abert Einstein is widely credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Thoughts and prayers have their place and it is not in the government policy.

Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

The measure will need to go before Parliament, and it's been scheduled for April 11. It seems to have cross-party support, although the National Party (which represents a more rural and conservative constituency) will probably have something to say on the details. But it's expected to pass.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Today, I learned that in New Zealand the ACC provides for victims of accidental death or injury, including funeral costs and financial support for victims and survivors of Christchurch terrorist attack. The Twitter thread is an instructive contrast between the Americans in shock, and New Zealanders politely wondering what's wrong with Americans.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

We were in New Zealand at the time of the shooting. Everything about the response, news coverage, etc.. was very different than what takes place here. It's sad.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Mark Ruffalo called it "prayers and action".

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Who shoots up a garlic festival?

On the other hand, who shoots people in cold blood anywhere? But garlic festival?

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Frelga wrote:Who shoots up a garlic festival?
A vampire's mortal ally?
When you can do nothing what can you do?
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I am so tired/disgusted/frustrated/outraged/sickened by the whole violent gun culture. I'm not talking about hunters or ranchers or other very practical uses for firearms.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

River wrote:
Frelga wrote:Who shoots up a garlic festival?
A vampire's mortal ally?
I'm sorry, I can't process this joke today.

River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I'm sorry too. My oldest daughter is the same age as the dead boy and my other coping mechanisms were failing me so I resorted to black humor. Like depths of a cave on a moonless night black.

I've seen some reports teh shooter was some sort of self-radicalized right wing extremist. Which explains nothing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?