2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I've not heard that expression before either.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I've seen it only recently.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

I've heard the expression "[adjective] as f***" fairly commonly, but I've never seen it abbreviated as "AF" before.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

It's the new thing.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It's New AF so?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's much newer than F.

;)

(Urban dictionary's first entry for it is 2011 so its definitely been around a while.)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I guess I never heard of it because the only internet I internet is here. NY Times app doesn't count, am sure, as doing the internet.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

But is it on fleek?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Wazzat?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Good question. Evidently it started with a Vine video involving eyebrows.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Frelga wrote:
Jude wrote:I don't think I've even heard that expression :scratch:
Once again reinforcing the stereotypes about the politeness of Canadians. ;)

I've not heard it either. Perhaps I am a wannabe Canadian? (who isn't?!)
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yes. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Canadian af
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Or polite af. :D

I am exposed to the seamier side of life on my Facebook feed, thanks to my son, my son's friends, and, oddly enough, a parrot rescue group I used to belong to. :roll:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

Here's a clip of a play where the Trump-Clinton debates are recreated word-for-word and gesture-for-gesture with a woman playing Trump and a man playing Clinton.

Most of the commentary is on gender, but I actually thought it was interesting to judge the candidates purely by content and delivery without any pre-conceived notions that come from the actual candidates.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Ugh. This is just as nasty & painful as watching it the first time. I just wanna cry.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Primula Baggins wrote:Basic as f***.
I had encountered the abbreviation "AF" before, although like other internet terms, such as "ICYMI" or "TFW", not so often that I can always remember the meaning.

Even more confusing to me is how the word "basic" came to have a somewhat derogatory connotation in the past couple years.

I also never saw Fight Club, so I was for a time very confused at why people in the comments section of my local newspaper kept calling me "snowfalke".

(I *love* that media chart yov posted here, by the way.)
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Having been away for a while, I have only just begun to read this thread, so please pardon me if I'm repeating something previously mentioned (I won't be posting much on political subjects, and I shall read a lot more of what has already been said here before commenting further), but on this note, it's interesting to read that Germany, believing the U.S. election to have been manipulated by Russia (partly through the dissemination of fake news), is taking steps to make sure the same thing doesn't happen in their elections next year: Don't Forget It Happened.
Inanna wrote: I think we are looking for scapegoats.
At the time you posted this, I had plans for a long response, explaining how I both agreed and disagreed with you, with a reference to something Tolkien wrote in his letters about Gollum and the Ring and power, and much more, but it was only ever in my head, and much life intervened.

So I'll just say that sometimes an apparent scapegoat actually is guilty.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

I'm not sure where this link best fits, but it certainly shouldn't be in a thread titled "Trump's America". :) This is a polling representation of Obama's America, and I found it to be very interesting.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/ob ... 8_PollingT
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It definitely indicates that the country as a whole is neither entirely Obama's nor entirely Trump's, and probably never has been.