2016 United States Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Re: 2016 United States Election

Post by Dave_LF »

True enough, but that makes it really difficult for the rest of the world to know how to interact with us since we're prone to these wild, schizophrenic mood swings every four to eight years.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

This time's worse than usual. The Trump Administration has pretty much removed all the senior staff at the State Department. Current foreign policy is "Uh...probably not what Trump tweeted at 3 am but we'll get back to you."
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

That's a quite interesting post. It broadly reflects my feelings about Obama: I was generally satisfied with his domestic policies, but very disappointed with his foreign/military actions. The latter is somewhat tempered by my belief that none of Obama's political rivals would have been any more to my liking on that front.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Primula Baggins wrote:It definitely indicates that the country as a whole is neither entirely Obama's nor entirely Trump's, and probably never has been.
I find that to be quite an encouraging notion.
yovargas wrote:That's a quite interesting post. It broadly reflects my feelings about Obama: I was generally satisfied with his domestic policies, but very disappointed with his foreign/military actions. The latter is somewhat tempered by my belief that none of Obama's political rivals would have been any more to my liking on that front.
Agreed. With all of this.
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

anthriel wrote:
Primula Baggins wrote:It definitely indicates that the country as a whole is neither entirely Obama's nor entirely Trump's, and probably never has been.
I find that to be quite an encouraging notion.
As do I.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King