"Privilege"

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: "Privilege"

Post by Inanna »

Impenitent wrote:Succinct and clear. Sharing it elsewhere
Same here. Hope it helps....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

After viewing elengil's 'Groundhog day for a Black Man' the article below came up in my news feed. Just so very sad and horrific.

Police Allegedly Held A Black College Student At Gunpoint And Threatened To Kill Him. Now He's Suing.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re:

Post by Inanna »

This is quite funny, and true:

Real things white people have said to me:
https://youtu.be/-ZkphjQUvzc
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

A new form that privilege takes in these unprecedented times. Being able to wear a mask to protect yourself and your community without worrying about being perceived as a threat to the community.

Why some people of color say they won't wear homemade masks
"I don't feel safe wearing a handkerchief or something else that isn't CLEARLY a protective mask covering my face to the store because I am a Black man living in this world," tweeted Aaron Thomas, an educator in Columbus, Ohio. "I want to stay alive but I also want to stay alive."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I've thought a lot about my privilege lately. It comes with guilt.

That said, I don't like the idea of anyone wearing masks, especially full face masks, but these are unprecedented times and we need to change with the times.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

I've heard bits and pieces of this over the years, but this puts it together quite nicely. I think I am going to look into this man's book.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, elengil!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That's a well done video. Thanks for sharing elengil.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Click on a city near you, on this interactive map, to see the redline map. Lots of interesting info in the menu.
https://dsl.richmond.edu/panorama/redli ... er=sidebar
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Barbie explains racism and privilege.
https://youtu.be/RCzwoMDgF_I
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Good for Barbie & co.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I wish I had as much patience talking to other people as this guy has talking to himself.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!