"The Big Bang Theory Gets a Big Boost"

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[OT]I think three successful and well-reviewed books puts you well beyond the "relatively rookie writer" category. Just sayin'. [/OT]
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I'm a little surpised that there's not more science fiction surrounding the concept of a multiverse. Very rich story-telling possibilities there.
Neal Stephenson took a crack at it with Anathem. Fun story, though I had a tough time at first.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I always have to sidle up on Neal Stephenson, and consciously give him 100 pages to bring me into the story. I've never been sorry I did it, though.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Primula Baggins wrote:I always have to sidle up on Neal Stephenson, and consciously give him 100 pages to bring me into the story. I've never been sorry I did it, though.
That's a great way of describing it. He's one of the few writers I don't mind dawdling a bit with at the opening of a book.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Somehow, he makes it entertaining. Anathem was a bit rough on me, though. It probably didn't help that I bought it as a present for myself after defending. Trying to get into a book about parallel universes that is actually set in a parallel universe when you're running at less than 50% just doesn't work. I had to put it aside for a few weeks until I'd mentally recovered a bit.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I've got Cryptonomicon lurking on my Kindle.

To match the cinder-block edition on my To Be Read bookshelf (now double-shelved).

Sometimes at night I think I hear them whispering. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King