Ukraine (and Russia)

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: Ukraine (and Russia)

Post by Jude »

Does anyone think Putin was behind Boris Nemtsoz's assassination?

I'm guessing yes...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

On some level, yes. He was very quick to take control of the investigation.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I don't think anyone doubts that Putin is behind it. Like, duh.

I don't suppose a reference to Kirov's assassination means anything to posters here, but look it up and watch what unfolds through that lens.

Stalin's playbook. In 2015.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Yes :(
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

:( Kirov, yes.

Well, we'll see what happens next.
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

I actually have my doubts that Putin is directly behind this murder. There are ultra-nationalist groups in Russian society, who operate semi-autonomously from Putin, which could also be blamed for such a heinous crime. Putin, of course, supports these groups in some way or another, and the Russian government will do its best to protect the perpetrators.

According to my father, who does a lot of business in Russia and Ukraine, the political climate in Moscow has become quite toxic in the last months. Just last week, he nearly got into a physical altercation with some people in a restaurant who wanted him to praise Putin and the Russian government because they identified him as a Westerner.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's why I said "on some level." I'm not convinced that he ordered the "hit" but I am convinced that the death can be tied to the environment that he has created, one way or another.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

"Will no one rid me of this troublesome priest?"
:(

(originally Henry II about Thomas Becket)
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Bumped for yov, without reviewing if it actually answers his question.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

https://twitter.com/leonidragozin/statu ... 4821097472
A military officer based near Moscow goes on trial for negligence that led to death of subordinate. He pleads for a more lenient sentence saying that he “took part in an operation in neighbouring country where we, so to say, were not present”. #Ukraine
https://t.co/Ky34F6yxrC

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Today's #Kerch Strait #military escalation by #Russia, threatening navigation to #Ukraine's #SeaofAzov ports of Mariupol & Berdyansk: a detailed report by @RFERL in English

https://t.co/xJy4kF11Cl
It's hard to come by the details at this point, but this seems to be a solid take by Garry Kasparov, former chess champion.
Another dangerous step in Putin's war on Ukraine. And if unopposed, he'll take another and another, until he goes too far and we have the wider conflict everyone thinks they're avoiding by not reacting to his first steps. https://t.co/4PfoQgHHTD

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Trump said, 'I don't like that aggression' but has failed to condemn Russia's actions. He 'may' cancel his G20 meeting with Putin. It will be interesting to see what he does. Or doesn't do.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Mostly doesn't.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

So Trump had another secret meeting with Putin without any US officials or translators. Whose side is he on anyway.. (that is increasingly a rhetorical question).

Since this is a thread on Ukraine/Russia I thought I might be able to ask a question here that has nothing to do with politics. I've been doing my family tree and some of my ancestors are Carpatho-Rusyns. I know the language is not the same, but one of the persons has an alias of 'Kutny' which isn't anything like his given or surname. Does anyone have any idea what that means? Is it just a nickname of sorts?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Um. Kut is corner in Ukrainian, as of a room or a distant corner of a town/village. Google says that the last name Kutny could also come from words meaning top of a carriage, silk fabric, or a bird trap, but none of that rings any bells. At a wild guess, I'd go with "living in a distant part of town or dead end" as the meaning of the nickname, but I could be way off.

Eta: one article came up with кутный бог, corner god, as one of the names of domovoy, or house spirit. Never heard that one, either, but who knows, with the Carpathians.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Thanks for your input Frelga!

:D Yeah.. those Carpathian Rus! :P The particular branch I am thinking of I am pretty sure lived in a very small town (Resov) South of Bardejov so maybe 'Little Corner' has something to do with it. It's odd though since it is a name sometimes listed on official records (such as church records) in addition to the given and surname (which is various forms of Babuscsak/Barbuscak, etc..), so I don't think it was used in a casual nickname sort of way and it's used for multiple persons (siblings). It's sometimes spelled 'Kutin' or 'Kutni' or 'Kutny'. From what I'm finding in records, I don't think literacy/accuracy was terribly important! I have also seen a mix of so many languages.. Greek/Latin, Hungarian, Slovak.. and whatever language the Ruthenians speak.

One other possibility entered my mind, perhaps my gg gma was a widow with young children and the 'Kutny' is the surname of the biological father and they tacked on the new father's name as an adoptive name(?) Another thought is that perhaps for some reason they changed their last name?