Deletion discussion

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

:scratch: :scratch:
You wrote:anthy, I understand that you delete your posts out of fear that we will judge you for them. In essence, you imagine us being mean or indifferent to you.
and
And if we are mean, horrible people,
I wrote:If that habit is making ANYONE think that I think of them as mean, horrible people,
I don't understand the confusion.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

anthriel wrote:However, words do have effects on this board, else why would we even be here? I doubt I would have sat up in bed one day and said " I MUST STOP MY TERRIBLE HABIT!" if others had not come in and told me how much it upsets them.
I agree, you would almost certainly not have sat up in bed and made any kind of decision about deleting if this discussion hadn't taken place. I'd like to focus, though, not on the fact that you had a reaction to a discussion. That is a given for us all: We read, we react. My point goes to the substance of your reaction. That is what I'm saying is all Anthriel. Someone else (like myself) might have reacted thus: 'Jewel, I'm sorry my manner of posting causes you frustration, but that's what works for me.' Perfectly fine, as well, I think. Or: 'Tough. Deal with it.' Not really in keeping with the tone of the board, but still, a legitimate reaction, since deleting is not against board policy.

What I'm saying is, the fact of your reaction is a result of the discussion taking place, the nature of your reaction to what was said is entirely a function of who you are (and this goes for all of us). The reason I'm belaboring this point is because you are well-loved and therefore your posting decisions are important to many people, and I think people will be less distressed by the thought of you changing your habits if they see that the decision is generated from within yourself as a function of the person they love, than if they perceived it as being imposed by others.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I have been reading this thread with interest and affection.

One comment: "If we are mean and horrible people" (in Frelga's earlier post) means (I believe) "If we turn out (which is most unlikely) to respond viciously and unfeelingly to your post, Anthy, and thus reveal ourselves (despite all previous experience) to actually BE mean and horrible people..."

Frelga was speaking counter-factually, dear Anthy, don't you see? :) :) :)

Certainly she didn't mean to suggest you think of any of us as mean and horrible; rather that if you said something sensitive, and we replied fiendishly, then we would be revealing ourselves to be, to everyone's great surprise I'm sure, mean and horrible people.

Which, thank goodness, we are not. I say that with great confidence.

:grouphug:
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

My changes to my thoughts were certainly not imposed, as I have repeatedly stated; my choices are my own.

But certainly when someone comes in and says that they would like to encourage a change in someone else's habits, (Jewel quote: "And I don't think there is anything wrong if I try to encourage a different way"), and those different habits are subsequently adopted, then yes, the words as shared were part of the process.

If you feel my reaction to this is inappropriate, I apologize.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Teremia wrote:I have been reading this thread with interest and affection.

One comment: "If we are mean and horrible people" (in Frelga's earlier post) means (I believe) "If we turn out (which is most unlikely) to respond viciously and unfeelingly to your post, Anthy, and thus reveal ourselves (despite all previous experience) to actually BE mean and horrible people..."

Frelga was speaking counter-factually, dear Anthy, don't you see? :) :) :)

Certainly she didn't mean to suggest you think of any of us as mean and horrible; rather that if you said something sensitive, and we replied fiendishly, then we would be revealing ourselves to be, to everyone's great surprise I'm sure, mean and horrible people.

Which, thank goodness, we are not. I say that with great confidence.

:grouphug:
I'm sure you are more on the right track here than I am; for Frelga to say something more like you describe would certainly be less horrifying than what I read.

I will not belabor my errors, nor defend my thoughts; it looks clear enough that I was simply wrong in what I thought I read. Thank you, Frelga, for your support.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Nin wrote:
nerdanel wrote:There has not been any "double standard" on this for a very, very long time (in Internet years); your comment deals with old history. (ETA I'm not sure that we ever publicly announced that we had adopted this policy, which we probably should have done at the time - sorry!)
Well as I had no means to know this, since then I was always wondering if there could not have been a deleted post of which I knew nothing and never felt as comfortable as before in posting. I'm glad to know it now.

But it just shows how much the deletion of a post can affect the level of comfort on a message board.
Well, it looks like this is one of many misunderstandings that we're clearing up in this thread! I really thought we had posted when we adopted that new rule for the Marshals, but after running a few quick searches, I couldn't find anything; it must have been an oversight. I hope that now that you know we've been doing this for years and plan to continue to do so, you feel more comfortable.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I am impatiently awaiting these kitten pictures I keep hearing about.

:x
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Teremia, thank you, that's more like what I meant to say than what I actually said was.

I need to think before I write anything more.

I'll be back. /ArnieVoice
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Frelga wrote: I'll be back. /ArnieVoice
It's ubiquitous, innit? I use it all the time!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Frelga wrote:Teremia, thank you, that's more like what I meant to say than what I actually said was.

I need to think before I write anything more.

I'll be back. /ArnieVoice
Frelga, I am just so GLAD that I really didn't upset you with that stoopfid selfish (ex-) habit of mine! And I am *also* glad, FWIW, for you to write here that what you meant to say may not have been exactly echoed in what you wrote. I'm not usually THAT obtuse. I think I was just reading you literally, which is not what you meant to convey.

I'm very relieved to be wrong, though. :hug: It just killed me to think that every time I deleted/edited something, you were over there thinking that that meant I had no faith in you, or this board, as kind and supportive people. As Teremia so tongue-in-cheek writes, all evidence to the contrary!

That's why I wrote that long post just after you, trying to make myself understand what you had said. It was sobering to think that's what you were feeling.

FWIW, I have far more faith in the kindness of people on this board than I do in my own capacity to share things appropriately. :) I have always depended on the kindness of... my imaginary friends.

Whew.

Cookies are in order, I think. Special, special cookies.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:sunny:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:sunny:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

:burned:

(Hey, I live in the lightning capital of the US!)
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:kitty:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:playful:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:abducted:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Toto, I don't think we're in Lasto anymore.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

:llama:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Oh, this seems like a good time for me to step in.

:wooper:

(Well, seriously, I was away from my computer, for the most part, for several days, so I've missed the conversation.)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its ok, we deleted most of it. :)
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End