Discussion about joke about Gen. Petraeus

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Al, how about "I can't believe you are so boorish and ignorant that you don't even see how offensive you are being?"

No, I don't actually think that about you :hug: but it would not be a productive contribution to any discussion, and "You are silly for being upset" isn't either. Both are a variation on "your dumb" statement that make website comment such a delightful read.

As V and Wampus said, there are pretty much three options when discussion has reached that point.

"I did not expect anyone to be upset by this comment." followed by either

1. "I'm sorry if I inadvertently hurt your feelings." if you want it to end there.

2. "I don't think I made myself clear. What I actually meant..." I've had variable luck with that one. :blackeye:

3. "I honestly don't see what part of my comment triggered you reaction. Could you please explain."

I think these are the options that respect the right of each participant to their opinions and feelings.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

But what about when part 3 is an explanation you don't agree with? Sometimes we just disagree about something and all the polite explanations about why we feel the way we do won't change the fact that I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong. Are we never allowed to say that?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Then I think your only option is some variation on option 1. To borrow Wampus's wording "This is not something that would be upsetting to me, but I'm sorry I inadvertently upset you."

When people disagree in what they are thinking, they can sustain a constructive and enjoyable argument while never coming to an agreement. That is just not possible when the disagreement is on whether someone should or should not be feeling as you do.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

nerdanel wrote:I agree with Wampus that only the final option would be constructive.
Not necessarily. There is a certain pleasure to be had in reparte, if both sides are just there to spar and to show off their wit, and don't expect to win anyone over to their way of thinking. The end result is to amuse and show off. That is probably not happening in this thread, but I recall it happened quite frequently in the classic P/R threads in TORC. Some conversations are for building mutuality. Some are for building hierarchy.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

narya wrote:
nerdanel wrote:I agree with Wampus that only the final option would be constructive.
Not necessarily. There is a certain pleasure to be had in reparte, if both sides are just there to spar and to show off their wit, and don't expect to win anyone over to their way of thinking. The end result is to amuse and show off. That is probably not happening in this thread, but I recall it happened quite frequently in the classic P/R threads in TORC. Some conversations are for building mutuality. Some are for building hierarchy.
But what you're describing is a situation where no one is actually offended. Both people are sparring and putting on a grand old showing. That's not what's being discussed in this thread, which deals with someone taking offense and someone else believing that the first person is being unreasonable.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I also would like to point out that there is a difference between being offended and being upset. A racist comment would be offensive to me even if it is not personally upsetting. A comment about underwater basket weaving not being an engaging sport may not be offensive as such, but still upsetting to a person whose life's passion that pursuit is.

narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I think the difference is not that black and white. That's where the offence often creeps in.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Alatar wrote:But what about when part 3 is an explanation you don't agree with? Sometimes we just disagree about something and all the polite explanations about why we feel the way we do won't change the fact that I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong. Are we never allowed to say that?
In that case (which would be the usual outcome, I think), thank the poster for explaining himself and move on to another topic. There doesn't have to be a winner or loser, just an exchange of views. If you think the poster misunderstood what you said, explain yourself -- but without implying that she is stupid for thinking that. If you want clarification, ask for it, but don't assume that if you keep pounding the point that he will suddenly see the light.

I get calls at work from angry people, and what I've found is that they almost always just want to be heard. I tell them I'll think about what they said (and I do), and they end the call much more pleasantly than it began. If I argue with them, the anger escalates and we are far less likely to learn from one another.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

WampusCat wrote:
Alatar wrote:But what about when part 3 is an explanation you don't agree with? Sometimes we just disagree about something and all the polite explanations about why we feel the way we do won't change the fact that I think you're wrong and you think I'm wrong. Are we never allowed to say that?
In that case (which would be the usual outcome, I think), thank the poster for explaining himself and move on to another topic. There doesn't have to be a winner or loser, just an exchange of views. If you think the poster misunderstood what you said, explain yourself -- but without implying that she is stupid for thinking that. If you want clarification, ask for it, but don't assume that if you keep pounding the point that he will suddenly see the light.
See, I don't think I did that. I made my point, got challenged on it repeatedly, so tried to explain my POV. I certainly didn't feel I was pounding the point. Rather the reverse actually.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, what would you like to accomplish here?

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I wasn't trying to accomplish anything. I stated a point of view and have been defending my right to that point of view ever since. People are telling me that its inappropriate for me to hold an opinion that thinks their opinion is wrong. I think this could mean the end of the Internet. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I think people are telling you something different. There is nothing wrong with thinking someone's opinion is wrong. The problem is when you characterize that opinion in some negative way, as silly or stupid, rather than just responding that you disagree. It isn't necessary to do that to disagree with someone and make your own point.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

I think Prim nailed it. "We aren't going to have a meeting of the minds on this" = completely fine. "We aren't going to have a meeting of the minds on this, but that's because your point of view is stupid and unreasonable" = downright insulting and stirs up a lot of unpleasantness.

It's the difference between, "I don't agree that the joke was offensive" and "If you think that joke was offensive, that's crazy." The latter may give you a moment of personal satisfaction, but it's just really not a helpful addition to any discussion.

As for the length of this thread, I'm torn between amusement (multipage discussion about a throwaway remark = classic HoF) and mild chagrin.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Funny, I'm torn between amusement and chagrin as well, for different reasons. :)
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Because I'm bored...
The problem is when you characterize that opinion in some negative way, as silly or stupid, rather than just responding that you disagree.
What if the opinion itself is negative, silly or stupid?

"I think the earth is flat."

"I think black people are inherently less intelligent than white people."

"I think gay people should be publicly stoned to death, like it says to do in the Bible."

I can tell you that if anyone posited opinions like these, my reaction would be decidedly negative.
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, are you trying to dispute the opinion, or pick up a fight with the person?

anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

JewelSong wrote:Because I'm bored...
The problem is when you characterize that opinion in some negative way, as silly or stupid, rather than just responding that you disagree.
What if the opinion itself is negative, silly or stupid?

"I think the earth is flat."

"I think black people are inherently less intelligent than white people."

"I think gay people should be publicly stoned to death, like it says to do in the Bible."

I can tell you that if anyone posited opinions like these, my reaction would be decidedly negative.

This is kind of what I was thinking about, yesterday, while I spent 4 hours digging up an ancient raised flowerbed that had 15 garbage bags' worth of weeds, plastic bags, kids' toys, nails, random bits of rusted wires, and lots of relatively unhappy cockroaches. It's moments like that which make me reflect on philosophy and life in general.

I got the feeling, from his reactions in this thread, and from what Alatar has said before, that he is just downright allergic to political correctness and censorship because of it. He feels like that kind of knee jerk reaction to anything that anyone anywhere might possible perceive as incorrect, in any possible way, does more harm to us as a people than anything good the people censoring might be able to accomplish.
(Yes, that's a run-on sentence, and yes, I am too lazy to fix it. Sorry)

Is that close, Alatar?

I actually agree with the spirit of that. Sometimes it's easy to imagine angry hordes of people coming at you from every side analyzing every syllable that falls from your mouth with such a vengeful heart that they are sure to find fault. Everyone everywhere drawing lines in the sand and then defending those lines with red eyes aflame. As if they would only be happy if you agreed with them about every nuance. Unfortuately, the guy next to THAT guy has a different agenda, and his hair is standing equally on end.

It's enough to make one yell out "Get a grip!! It's only a JOKE!!" to the masses in general. And I have certainly felt like doing that.

But I brought up a question some pages ago, which if I find myself less lazy at some point, I will copy and paste. These examples Jewel illustrates, as well as my Mexican red light running example, would probably hit most of us as simply unacceptable. I think Alatar might have said, or implied, that he felt the Mexican one was unacceptable.

So those examples cross the line from political correctness nonsense to... well, we as a community will not harbour such spoken thoughts, here. Thinking such things is one thing. Saying them aloud (or writing them on a messageboard) is another. It is still another for the people of your community to choose not to challenge such sentences.

Because if thoughts like that are expressed and left unchallenged, there is tacit approval.

And it is up to me, I think, to not allow that to go unchallenged. (Again, this is not directed at Lord M's original comment, which is not even in a league with these). It is up to YOU, whoever you are, dear reader, to express your values by not allowing such things to be said in your presence.

Aren't we (and this hit me when I hit a pocket of like 4,000 cockroaches, a life-changing moment for sure) SHARING our values, here on this board? Aren't we, in this sort of 7 page discussion (which may be 8 pages now 'cause this post is so long) shaping what we, as a community, really represent? Who we are, in effect?

In another quote of mine that I am too lazy to paste here, I said something like "Where disagreement starts, learning starts too". I really have learned a lot from this board, mostly from threads like this, although I assume I am one of the thin-skinned ones mentioned above who should stick to puppies and kittens and fluff elsewhere.

I am terribly thin-skinned (mostly because I really care about you all, FWIW, and it distresses me if I distress anyone here), but I have a great huge need to learn what you folks are continually teaching me.

NO, I do not agree with everything I read here. But you do, all of you, continually make me think and grow and flex my own borders as a person. That's worth the flinching of my thin skin at times, and even though I apparently don't own any big-girl britches so that I can tug them on and take a verbal blow like more sturdy posters here, I will continue to engage in these discussions.

For purely selfish reasons, of course. You guys are good for me. :love:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Wow! Awesome post, Anthy!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

anthriel wrote:I got the feeling, from his reactions in this thread, and from what Alatar has said before, that he is just downright allergic to political correctness and censorship because of it. He feels like that kind of knee jerk reaction to anything that anyone anywhere might possible perceive as incorrect, in any possible way, does more harm to us as a people than anything good the people censoring might be able to accomplish.
(Yes, that's a run-on sentence, and yes, I am too lazy to fix it. Sorry)

Is that close, Alatar?
Nailed it Anthy! :)
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

:love:

I'm happy now.

I didn't have the courage nor the eloquence to post here before (I definitely leaned Al's way, btw); but now that Anthy has nailed it, I can lean her way, too, (as I have so often done, but didn't on this issue).

I'm hoping that this here joke thread is done now.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.