Civility in public discourse

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Civility in public discourse

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

This is so brilliant. I urge everyone to watch it with an open mind:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-j ... share_copy
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Hopefully this will make it to Youtube, not available here...

Do you have time to extract a few of the points you found particularly enlightened?
Voronwë the Faithful

Really, the Daily Show isn't available in Canada? That's unfortunate.

It's an interview by Jon Oliver with a woman who is the president of an organization that promotes civility in journalism, who wrote a column for her newspaper calling tea party types "terrorists". Her utter lack of awareness that what she was doing was exactly what she was calling an end to is emblematic of so much that I see as wrong in our society.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

That is interesting. Years ago I was giving a talk to activists and said something similar: both sides, left or right, call the same media (for instance The Washington Post or the Toronto Star) leftist or rightist depending on whichever label is opposite to their own. How can the Washington Post be a rightwing and leftwing paper at the same time? It is ridiculous.

But of course, as I follow you here (and elsewhere), the idea is that weaving ad hominems into whatever you are saying is counter productive. It is not the same exactly as saying "judge not lest you be judged;" it is about respecting the democratic process enough not to try to gain an edge by disparaging each other. No?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

It's about not thinking that your "side" is the only one with noble positions and intentions and that other "sides" are therefore wicked/selfish/ignorant/whatever. This is mainly what I see as the core problem. It's as if many people don't understand that good, smart, thoughtful people can have different opinions on the same issue. If you were good, smart, and thoughtful, you would agree with ME! Ugh......lord, I hate politics....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

The Daily Show is available in Canada. I could watch it, but it's on at times when I'm not watching TV.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

But apparently the online version isn't available there. Or at least it isn't available to Sir Dennis.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

They know it must not fall into the wrong hands. :P
It's about not thinking that your "side" is the only one with noble positions and intentions and that other "sides" are therefore wicked/selfish/ignorant/whatever.
Very good post, yov.

I would separate out "ignorant" from that list, though. The other attributes are a matter of opinion, but ignorance is objectively demonstrable. And while well-intentioned people hold all sorts of opinions, it is possible that they would change them if they were better informed. As we used to say on another messageboard, when you know better, you do better.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Frelga wrote:They know it must not fall into the wrong hands. :P
Well played :D

That's right V, the embedded video doesn't work due to boundary issues. It may even be more specifically regional as Vison and I are from different provinces I think. We run in to this a lot with MTV as well... the shows are all over the tele here but can't be watched online for some reason.

Oh and IAWYandF
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Frelga wrote:I would separate out "ignorant" from that list, though. The other attributes are a matter of opinion, but ignorance is objectively demonstrable. And while well-intentioned people hold all sorts of opinions, it is possible that they would change them if they were better informed. As we used to say on another messageboard, when you know better, you do better.
I think that is an excellent point. That said, there is a difference between using ignorant as a simple extra derogative label, and real ignorance. There are plenty of people who consider merely not holding the same opinions as them to be ignorant, regardless of whether said ignorance can actually be demonstrated or not. And that ties in exactly with what yov said.