Religion and Science

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

SirDennis wrote:Ok, ok... What Dave said has an element of truth to it though mileage may vary.

However when I speak of how science is perceived by the rest of us (ie non-scientists) it is not merely an opinion. And I am beginning to resent the implication that the ideas I hold true are simply a product of lack of exposure to good science, good literature about science, naivete, fear of the unknown, a predisposition against seeing myself as infinitely inconsequential in a cosmic sense (even though the Bible teaches me so) and so on.

"God is the creator of the universe" is no more an opinion than "nothing is faster than the speed of light" is an opinion. Both are arrived at, for some people, only after years of study and wrestling with such ideas. For other people, who have not studied, nor wrestled with either idea, either position can be taken (and are, both the Biblical, and the scientific) on faith. But for some reason, the second idea, even now in the presence of proof to the contrary, is more acceptable in mixed company. My concern is how long before the preference for one type of idea over the other type of idea becomes institutionalized (or more so than it has already?)

When I said the following a few pages back, no one batted an eye, even though many of the statements are debatable:
Faith is not the same as religion, nor even belief, nor is it an element of scientific inquiry or expostulation. Scientists never rightly can be said to proselytize nor can those who share their opinions or understanding. To suggest otherwise is potentially offensive. Science rests on observable phenomenon. When it does not, it is something other than science and should be rejected. Belief in an idea may be what motivates scientists to test the idea, but disbelief is just as powerful a motivator to do the same. Ideally ideas are approached from a neutral position. Knowing when to keep an idea or discard it is purely a function of statistical analysis. Assignment of value hardly ever, if at all, comes into it.
The last statement is particularly relevant to this current thread of the discussion.

If I was to say, according to my sources (not just someone's opinion), that the earth is less than 10,000 years old, I am sure present company would have a lot to say about that.

The extent that someone feels justified in looking down on or rejecting outright one unprovable idea in favour of another unprovable idea is a measure of faith.
There is a difference, SirDennis, between an idea that's unproven because no empirical proof based on physical observations or measurements is possible (example: the existence or nonexistence of God) and an idea that, though "unproven" in the strict scientific sense, is supported by mountains of physical observations and measurements and contradicted by none (example: the multi-billion-year age of the Earth).

And, it's entirely unnecessary to reject one of these ideas because one accepts the other. Some do, some don't. I don't.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Primula said:
There is a difference, SirDennis, between an idea that's unproven because no empirical proof based on physical observations or measurements is possible (example: the existence or nonexistence of God) and an idea that, though "unproven" in the strict scientific sense, is supported by mountains of physical observations and measurements and contradicted by none (example: the multi-billion-year age of the Earth).

And, it's entirely unnecessary to reject one of these ideas because one accepts the other. Some do, some don't. I don't.

Thank goodness for the very human ability to embrace seeming contradictions. A survival mechanism if you will. It is too bad when that ability is exploited by power in this Orwellian age... a different discussion entirely.

Anyway thank you. For those that reject one idea over the other though, a preference (a belief in?) for a certain kind of proof is apparent: the empirical over the phenomenological, a specific process of discovery over thousands of years of human experience. Both are lacking in some ways, flawed, reflect bias. Neither are absolutely valid. Both are absolutely valid. In any event it's all we got to work with here on Earth.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

SirDennis wrote:"God is the creator of the universe" is no more an opinion than "nothing is faster than the speed of light" is an opinion.
Au contraire, mon ami.

One is impossible to prove or disprove (the opinion) and the other may possibly be proven - or disproven (the hypothesis).

The difference is clear, for those with eyes to see. :D
Dig deeper.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

SirDennis wrote:And I am beginning to resent the implication that the ideas I hold true are simply a product of lack of exposure to good science, good literature about science, naivete, fear of the unknown
Your ideas, as you have expressed in this thread, about what science is and how it is practiced are the result of these things. And those errors will propagate into whatever other lines of thinking you follow stemming from those flawed ideas.

If you want to reject something, fine. Do it. But if you want to argue it you better be damn sure your reasoning and/or understanding of what you're arguing for or against are correct. Because if either aren't, you're going to get picked apart. C'est la vie.

One of the hardest lessons in the transition I made from being a student to a working scientist (and this happened sometime in grad school; I can't tell you when) was recognizing the difference between an attack on my idea or my data and an attack on me. It's a critical distinction. Life got a lot happier when I learned to make it. The flipside (attacking the data or the idea, not the person) was also something I had to learn, though, for me, it was a much easier lesson. Some of my peers had a harder time with that. It was important though. There's a wide gap between "You're wrong!" and "You're an idiot!"

And, going back to Schechtman and his findings and the reactions scientists have to surprising results, that's something to be kept in mind. It's not necessarily the person under attack; in fact, it should never, ever get personal. And the arguing needs to happen, both within a research group and outside it. My current boss won't let anything out the door unless we can look him in the eye and justify every move we made.

Incidentally, my husband's an engineer and had to make the same transition I did when he was a student. You can only begin to imagine the shapes arguments take in our house. We once had what could only be called a lengthy and careful discourse over why our food processor was no longer working. We came to no agreement, but since I'd already ordered the part that would fix the problem if my theory were correct, we suspended discussion and let the experiment settle it. Turns out I was right. That time.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

SirDennis wrote: Thank goodness for the very human ability to embrace seeming contradictions. A survival mechanism if you will. It is too bad when that ability is exploited by power in this Orwellian age... a different discussion entirely.
There is no contradiction. The belief in God and the hypothesis about the age of the Earth exist in different universes of discourse. The first can't be tested or disproved by any physical means. The second can be tested and has been, could be disproved but hasn't been. Science isn't useless because it cannot test for the existence of God. I am perfectly well able to accept the reality and measurability of the physical universe even if I also believe in something "beyond" it.

If I did think that believing in God meant that I must reject reason and science and the evidence of human senses, I would be unable to believe in God.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

River wrote:
SirDennis wrote:And I am beginning to resent the implication that the ideas I hold true are simply a product of lack of exposure to good science, good literature about science, naivete, fear of the unknown
Your ideas, as you have expressed in this thread, about what science is and how it is practiced are the result of these things.
That's neither fair, nor necessarily accurate. You simply don't have enough knowledge of Dennis' history and the formation of his ideas to make such categorical statement. Instead, you are making a judgment about him through the filter of your believes and experiences. Which simply is not appropriate. Your experiences are not his experiences. You may disagree with his ideas, but imposing a judgment on how he came to have those ideas is really not appropriate.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

River wrote:
Your ideas, as you have expressed in this thread, about what science is and how it is practiced are the result of these things. And those errors will propagate into whatever other lines of thinking you follow stemming from those flawed ideas.

If you want to reject something, fine. Do it. But if you want to argue it you better be damn sure your reasoning and/or understanding of what you're arguing for or against are correct. Because if either aren't, you're going to get picked apart. C'est la vie.

One of the hardest lessons in the transition I made from being a student to a working scientist (and this happened sometime in grad school; I can't tell you when) was recognizing the difference between an attack on my idea or my data and an attack on me. It's a critical distinction. Life got a lot happier when I learned to make it. The flipside (attacking the data or the idea, not the person) was also something I had to learn, though, for me, it was a much easier lesson. Some of my peers had a harder time with that. It was important though. There's a wide gap between "You're wrong!" and "You're an idiot!"
Thank you for explaining the difference between attacking ideas and attacking the person. In doing so, you have once again attacked the person with condescension.

So now I'm supposed to question what I am seeing with my own eyes? What profit would there be in stating ideas about how scientific knowledge is presented, the value and importance it is bestowed, how it is experienced by the rest of us, if I was just making it up?

I have been exposed to good science over the years, but it is rarely presented as a work in progress. If decisions that affect society via public policy -- or just by defining how a sane person should view the world -- are based solely on science, since science is a work in progress, it should not be hard to see why a rational person should have a huge problem with this.

I have never said that it is the motive of individual scientists to lord their knowledge over others, or to have their work used by the power elite for their own nefarious ends. I apologise if it appears that I have. But if what I have been saying is completely flawed, completely untrue, why would even some scientists, as you quipped, "have to eat crow?"

I realise time is short, and for some this is tiresome, but refusing to respond to the meat of my argument, which like yours is based on a lifetime of observation and education, is bordering on hypocritical. I have never said this that or the other theory is wrong. What I have said is that value is assigned to certain types of knowledge at the expense of others. How exactly is this not true?

Sorry, cross posted with V. And after re reading the above, it appears that I am getting a bit exasperated myself. Apologies to the board.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Voronwë, there is a reason I put in "as expressed in this thread"...

And I'm done with this.
Voronwë the Faithful

The fact that you said "as expressed in this thread" really makes no difference. You are still making a judgment on how he came to form those ideas, which is inappropriate. I hope you will continue to express your own opinon, without making judgmental statements about how other people form their opinions.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

My opinion has been expressed for 14 pages. I remain done.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Though flagged as problematic, here is a good outline of the practice of shunning. I find the section on shunning as a feature of some religions relevant to the discussion just now.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

SirD, you seem like a nice enough guy, but this isn't a discussion. This is a series of monologues. I see no point in continuing.
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

vison wrote:One is impossible to prove or disprove (the opinion) and the other may possibly be proven - or disproven (the hypothesis).
I can't think of a better way of putting the entire concept than that.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Thank you Ax. Likewise. And I agree. It seems the topic breeds that sort of thing, which in turn makes it seem like there are agendas around every corner. It feels bad. I am sorry for my part in this. I do have a better understanding of how some scientists view this topic though.

What I would be more interested in is picking up the thread of your comments around global food supply and efforts to monopolize it. Perhaps another time.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Fair enough.

Cards won, time for me to go to bed. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

It might be worth exploring how rooting for a baseball team is a form of faith. ;)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No! :shock:

Some things simply should not be examined too closely.
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

Go Tigers!
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:It might be worth exploring how rooting for a baseball team is a form of faith. ;)
Or insanity. If you were a Red Sox from 1909 to 2004, or a fan of the Cubs since 1908, a case could be made for both faith and insanity.