The 2012 US Election

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I saw that segment this morning. Brilliant!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Thanks River, Teremia, JS. If I read your posts correctly, they were quite flattering. However, I might not be reading them correctly because I am a minority and therefore have poorer reading comprehension than white people, as some Texas conservatives explained this week.

Again, this may be due to the intellectual deficits with which I must contend as a minority, but it is unclear to me why people who are racist, sexist, or homophobic are still saying ... stuff. And things.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

nerdanel wrote: Again, this may be due to the intellectual deficits with which I must contend as a minority, but it is unclear to me why people who are racist, sexist, or homophobic are still saying ... stuff. And things.
Not clear to me either. Maybe they just don't hear themselves. Or maybe they don't hear themselves as others might hear them...
Last edited by River on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I am pleased to learn that as a white speaker of English as Fourth Language, I naturally have better reading comprehension than a native-born "minority" person.

Who knew language was absorbed through skin!

Unless being female negates these benefits?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Oh, absolutely, Frelga. What are you thinking? It's the exact duplicate set of chromosomes, see. "Regular" people don't have that, or any of the other internal tubular stuff that infiltrates the higher brain functions.

And you have to make allowances for nel. She doesn't even have a GED. A JD, sure, but. . . .
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Now, Prim. I'm sure nel would have gotten a GED if only she had better reading comprehension. We must not hold her to standards above her capabilities. That would be... unkind.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

He doesn't quite do it like McKayla, but no one does.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Happy to see you posting more, Prim!

I would like to see the GOP kick the crazies out of the party, because there are some GOP standpoints I support. Hint, not the ones that involves inner tubes or thinking math isn't a thing, or especially the ones that say color IS a thing. ( not an exhaustive list, but a start. )

But there are a few things I do support.

Now that the Democrats have a supermajority in California, what do everybody think will happen? Will the state get up from it's current mess and become awesome?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

If it can begin to restore part of the former awesomeness of its public education system, K through university, that would be one good use of a supermajority. IMO.

Another would be devising a more efficient healthcare system that covers more Californians. Again IMO.

I am sure Dems are also capable of using it to pass a load of awful ideas. But the last group with one of those wrecked a lot of what was intrinsically amazing about California, in exchange for no benefit to most of its people.

(Not mended yet—haven't even been to the doctor; not an option with no insurance, especially since they would likely send me to surgery. But my state-run insurance plan for healthcare rejects should be effective December 1. All hail the State. :P What would cost us $25,000 this month will cost only $5,000 next month.)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Well, Prop 30 was pretty much blackmail, IMO, but now that it passed, I am hopeful.

California is ahead of the curve when it comes to implementing the Obamacare. As one of the reform's proponents pointed out, currently insurance companies compete on who can best avoid insuring people who need care. The hope for the reform is to make sure they compete in terms of providing care. It remains to be seen how that plays out.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Prim - I hope sincerely that you can get what you need to return to health. Wow.

My Californian history is somewhat shaky so I'm not sure what happened last time California had a super majority, but I'll look it up.

I'm not sure how the Californian education system came to fall from its highs. That would take a lot of looking at data, per child spending, admin overhead analyzing, etc. If Prop 30 fixes the education system, I will be relieved AND surprised. It did smack of blackmail, but in final analysis it had to pass. I really hope it fixes everything it promises to. The carrot/stick was education, and I'm unsure how much promises around education will actually be fulfilled. I'm eager to be surprised and have my cynicism prove unfounded, though!

Efficiency. That would be my hope!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Griffy, I was mistaken; the damage was done without a supermajority. There hasn't actually been a supermajority in both houses for one party since, I believe, the 1800s.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Ah, so my Google skills are not as bad as I feared! :blackeye:
Voronwë the Faithful

In my opinion, much of the "damage" in California has been done by the voters themselves, in the out-of-control initiative process.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That is certainly true. But it was also impossible to undo that damage legislatively once the two-thirds rule for tax increases was in place.
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Does anybody have a good ( by good, in this case I mean factual as opposed to colored by opinion ) site that they know of that gives an overview of California's political history that I could look at as a starting point? I have read some opinion pieces here and there about the initiative process, but I don't have a solid overview to start from & supplement by looking at alternate viewpoints.

Which initiatives may have done "damage", in your opinion, V? I also note that you put damage in quotes, so I assume there's a story behind that, too!
Voronwë the Faithful

Griffy, I put "damage" in quotes really only to emphasize that it is "damage" in my opinion. One man's "damage" is another man's "progress".

As for what initiatives I am talking about, here are a few, just off the top of my head:

Prop 184, passed in 1984, in which voters enacted California's draconian three strikes law, which was finally significantly modified this year.

Prop. 209, the so-called Civil Rights Initiative, which ended affirmative action in California.

Prop. 8. Nuf sed.

And the granddaddy of them all, which has caused the most damage (again, of course, in my opinion), Prop. 13, the "People's Initiative to Limit Property Taxation," passed in 1978, which created an unequal taxation system in which basically equivalent properties could be taxed at wildly variant rates, and which among many other effects was the prime reason why California public schools have gone from the best in the nation to the worst.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Griffon64 wrote:Now that the Democrats have a supermajority in California, what do everybody think will happen? Will the state get up from it's current mess and become awesome?
It will do something for certain. There have been ideas that have come out of the legislature that even Gov. Moonbeam has thought were too crazy, and he's a natural source of crazy ideas.

The only thing preventing full damage was the two-thirds rule for tax increases and now the Democrats have a 2/3 super-majority. If it weren't for Prop 13, this state would be in far worse shape than it is now. Even after 13 passed tax increases still passed, so proclamations of how it has hamstrung the state are exaggerations.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams